MMA in Korea-- new event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MMA in Korea-- new event

Check this out, I heard about it a few months ago and just found some results. Apparently they are having an MMA tournament in Korea where they are matching up Korean boxers, TKD experts, etc against other fighters. Apparently some of the TKD guys have done fairly well.

This is a thread where a guy posted some results and some pictures:
    http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73687

Here's the official site, it's mostly in Korean so maybe someone could translate part of it if they're interested:
    http://www.spiritmc.org/index.asp

Be careful making conclusions about this k-diddy. I LOVE Korea, but they are NOT above setting up worked fights to prove that "Native Korean" anything is superior to something foreign. That said, TWO TKD fighters didn't get their asses handed to them. One made it to the third round, and the other a little further. I also wouldn't doubt that they would have a stronger field of TKD fighters than others, considering the country. But it's true that there are some older TKD guys over there who are pretty hardcore and despise what TKD has become.

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**

Edited by - The Wastrel on April 03 2003 22:57:56
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the fuck I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Comment

And sorry, but I just don't have the time to translate.

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**
      Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the fuck I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Comment

TTT! thx for the news, interesting.

I just can't wait for a big MMA event to hit china, could be excellent.

Movie Quote: http://funwavs.com/wavfile.php?quote=603&view=1 - Full Metal Jacket

Edited by - Blade Windu on April 03 2003 23:24:32
        "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Comment

TKD can rock. Korea is the place to find the best of them with a FEW here and there elsewhere around the world.

In the USA, as a TKD practitioner I'm ashamed to say, you won't find too many good TKD fighters who won't get OWNED by other arts or MMA.

However, IMO, a person who knows TKD and BJJ will beat almost anyone who only knows just one of the two. Any two will beat any one.

I wouldn't put it past Korea to stage it. But I doubt it was staged. You can't fool THAT many people.

Comment

TKD can rock, with major overhaul.

Comment

Yeah, I was actually wondering about them fixing fights when I first read about the event, because they seemed to be billing it as a forum to test Korean fighters against foreign fighters-- so obviously the fans would want to see some of their countrymen win.

And this reminds me of something I caught on TLC or Discovery a while back, I saw some interview with an older TKD master who basically said that TKD only used to employ like 4-5 kicks. He said with the advent of sport competitions and demonstrations, they added in all the flowery spinning kicks in just the past couple decades as the sport has grown more popular. I don't know if this is accurate, but it seemed like an interesting point-- basically he was saying TKD used to be more of a fighting art with a few basic simple techniques but now for sporting purposes they have added in all these extra techniques that we all make fun of. So it would stand to reason that some of these older TKD guys might be pretty hardcore.

Comment

BTW, I did TKD for 2 years as a kid and I thought it was lame, I'm not posting this in defense of TKD or to make a point or anything. I just thought it was interesting since MMA is new to Korea, and we haven't seen any true Korean fighters compete before other than boxing or wrestling.

Comment

1)Front snap kick.
                  2)Side kick.
                  3)Back kick.
                  4)Crecent kick.
                  5)Roundhouse kick.

Those are the 5 kicks. All the later ones fall into one of those categories but spruced up a little bit.

Also-Most TKD people only hit to torso and face because they go to a crappy competition based school.

Emphasis---feet/hands
                  Karate 50/50
                  TaeKwonDo 70/30

That's basically it.

Comment

The question that I keep asking and never get an answer to still applies, though. What characteristics of "good" Tae Kwon Do make it unique among the martial arts?

They don't call it the Nazi PARTY for nothing!
                    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Comment

Much harder kicks than other arts can produce. The ability to effectively distance yourself from an opponent with kicks. More effective direct defense and offense with kicks than found in other arts. So, advanced proficiency with kicks is the 'unique' aspect of Tae Kwon Do.

There is no art that is 'unique'. Name me one that doesn't have some of the same moves as another or stems from another.

Comment

"Much harder kicks than other arts can produce. "
                        i believe some MT people will disagree

either way i've been to that site before, i think i posted it.....
                        looks and sounds kinda corny, especially about that founder guy talking about the "spirit" and the bullshit

--
                        Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
                        The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed later.
                        Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

Right Osiris. It's not about "moves".

Comment

Working...
                          X