Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the parents...advice needed

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #46
    Originally posted by beachfront71
    1. Opinons may vary but it is what it is, 11 is not an age where competent decisions are consistantly made
    2. Let me be more specific, In CA you cvan go after both, you can be sued personally and go after insurance depending on the circumstances
    3. I did not say teaching your kids defense will put you in a tight spot, I said "if it gets out through your kids friends that you told him to "go at it if needed" you are in a very tight spot. "


    But take Lawdogs route and tell him to beat the shit out of the guy and let us know what happens next.

    Still waiting on ride for dinner-
    When did I tell him to beat the shit out of the kid? I never said that.

    So, an 11 yr. old is incapable of making a competent decision regarding protecting himself from physical harm? Well, that's interetsing.

    You're wrong about the homeowner's policy. I already explained to you the role, if any, the carrier would play.

    To any rational person, "go at it if needed" would imply self defense, hence the term, if needed. And teaching your kid to defend himself in no way puts you in a "tight spot".

    Comment


      #47
      We agree to disagree? I can see where people would differ.

      However, as an example, I live in an equestrian community, one of the horse owners was bothering/intimidating some of the ladies at the stables to the point of police, restraining orders, ets...

      She ended up suing the man personally and then went after his homeowners, I believe both for different reasons...

      Case is pending...

      Comment


        #48
        Originally posted by daGorilla
        Who the hell cares who started it? This is a clear example of why moral/ethical lessons should NOT be removed from martial arts training -- at least when you're talking about kids.
        I don't think we have to worry about it in this scenario. I am sure Miguks son has been taught to behave properly. But I at some level, you need to kick someone who is bullying you's ass.

        I got in two fights in elementary school. Someone teased me I let it go. The second they touched me I want at them. I ended up busting one kids nose, blacking an eye....the second fight I pushed the kid back while blockin his leg and he landed on his arm funny and broke it.
        And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

        Comment


          #49
          Also, if I had a dollar for everytime me and my best friend at that age got into it I would be fucking rich. We fought. that is what kids do. Someimes noses are busted or teeh are chipped. Big deal.
          And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

          Comment


            #50
            Originally posted by greese1
            Also, if I had a dollar for everytime me and my best friend at that age got into it I would be fucking rich. We fought. that is what kids do. Someimes noses are busted or teeh are chipped. Big deal.
            Good point. My best friend, since 2nd grade and I have fought forever. We still argue over stupid shit. However, when all was said and done we were still friends. So here is the follow up report on the whole incident.

            Well let me first start by saying that the school did call me back.....ON SATURDAY!!! I wasn't home for the call as we were at the dojo training. They said they would call me at my work today so I will just have to wait, and plot some witty comments to say to them on their great timing on the whole incident.

            As for my son, well it went down at lunch time on Friday. The kids called him out and he didn't back down. He said fine let's do it. So when all was said and done, all the kids who were going to jump him backed down. Actually they chickened out, leaving his ex-friend to fend for himself. No punches were thrown, no kicks were released. Which for the most part I am happy about. There is still the punk in me which was hoping that he would have walloped at least one of them and send a message to the rest to leave him alone (hey I'm a guy what can I say) :) I was also happy to hear that two of his friends did go there to help him if needed.

            After the ex-friend was left standing there he decided he wants to be friends again. When my son told me all of this I told him he should get his "friend" to recant the rumor that he has been spreading. I talked to the parents of the kid yesterday on the phone. Apparently they found out through other parents whose kids saw the whole incident (suburbia is a small world), that it was their son who started it and they apologized. I did offer to pay half the dental but they would not accept stating that they are going to be taking the money out of the kid's allowance to teach him a lesson about starting fights. Worked for me. So now everything is once again sun shiny and happy in the land of suburbia. Special bonus to all of it, we had 2 of his friends wanting to sign up at our school for lessons. :)
            Last edited by Miguksaram; 11/07/2005 8:01am, .
            Jeremy M. Talbott

            Originally posted by Phrost
            "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
            Originally posted by D.Murray
            "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
            Originally posted by hangooknamja88
            My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...


            SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

            Comment


              #51
              Good to hear. That is why, in my long winded post, I said wait and see. At that age you must always wait and see. Kids don't hold grudges like adults.

              I would tell the school, who probably waited to see if things worked out, everything is cool.


              I bet that was his first real fight with a good friend right?

              The first time it happens it sucks, That is where you, as a father, use your experience. Like you just said you still fight with one of your friends.

              Take it as a learning experience and remember it for the next time your boy comes to you with a problem.

              Comment


                #52
                Originally posted by It is Fake??
                Take it as a learning experience and remember it for the next time your boy comes to you with a problem.
                That's correct. When two wrongs don't make a right....hit 'em with your left. :tongue11:
                Jeremy M. Talbott

                Originally posted by Phrost
                "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
                Originally posted by D.Murray
                "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
                Originally posted by hangooknamja88
                My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...


                SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

                Comment


                  #53
                  :fist: HA!! HA!! exactly.

                  Comment


                    #54
                    "After the ex-friend was left standing there he decided he wants to be friends again."

                    That's freakin' hilarious. Sounds like something out of a pro wrestling TV show.

                    I'm glad to hear everything worked out for your son.

                    Comment


                      #55
                      Originally posted by miguksaram
                      Good point. My best friend, since 2nd grade and I have fought forever. We still argue over stupid shit. However, when all was said and done we were still friends. So here is the follow up report on the whole incident.

                      Well let me first start by saying that the school did call me back.....ON SATURDAY!!! I wasn't home for the call as we were at the dojo training. They said they would call me at my work today so I will just have to wait, and plot some witty comments to say to them on their great timing on the whole incident.

                      As for my son, well it went down at lunch time on Friday. The kids called him out and he didn't back down. He said fine let's do it. So when all was said and done, all the kids who were going to jump him backed down. Actually they chickened out, leaving his ex-friend to fend for himself. No punches were thrown, no kicks were released. Which for the most part I am happy about. There is still the punk in me which was hoping that he would have walloped at least one of them and send a message to the rest to leave him alone (hey I'm a guy what can I say) :) I was also happy to hear that two of his friends did go there to help him if needed.

                      After the ex-friend was left standing there he decided he wants to be friends again. When my son told me all of this I told him he should get his "friend" to recant the rumor that he has been spreading. I talked to the parents of the kid yesterday on the phone. Apparently they found out through other parents whose kids saw the whole incident (suburbia is a small world), that it was their son who started it and they apologized. I did offer to pay half the dental but they would not accept stating that they are going to be taking the money out of the kid's allowance to teach him a lesson about starting fights. Worked for me. So now everything is once again sun shiny and happy in the land of suburbia. Special bonus to all of it, we had 2 of his friends wanting to sign up at our school for lessons. :)
                      That's about as good as it gets.

                      Props to ur son.

                      video of the fight if it exists plz...

                      Comment


                        #56
                        Originally posted by EternalRage
                        That's about as good as it gets.

                        Props to ur son.

                        video of the fight if it exists plz...
                        Thanks and I'll start having him carry a camera around in the future for just such an event.
                        Jeremy M. Talbott

                        Originally posted by Phrost
                        "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
                        Originally posted by D.Murray
                        "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
                        Originally posted by hangooknamja88
                        My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...


                        SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

                        Comment

                        Collapse

                        Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                        Working...
                        X