Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Bullshido and a question..

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    New to Bullshido and a question..

    I found this board and just love browsing the posts for the awesome info that's in here.

    My question is this. I've enrolled in a self defense class and last night was my first session. Shouldn't one of the first things that was taught was how to break a fall? I took a few Judo lessons when I was 10 and the two things that have always stuck with me was the Judo Roll and the practice of breaking a fall. I was the lowest skilled person there and not one time did anyone practice a fall technique or roll of any sort. I'm starting to think I made a mistake but there are few MA schools up in Northwestern California, unless they are hiding somewhere and I can't find them in the phone book.

    Thanks for any insight you can give me.

    #2
    IMO no, just because you didn't practice falls does not automatically make it wrong. breakfalls are Ok, but they are no measure of SD transferability.

    Is it a martial art or just self-defence?
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

    just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM


    Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

    Comment


      #3
      I never practiced falling in my Muay Thai classes either...

      Comment


        #4
        To flame or not to flame, that is the question:
        Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
        The slings and arrows of outrageous trolling,
        Or to take arms against a sea of N00bz,
        And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
        No more...


        In my mind a "self defense" class should cover at least a little bit of everything. At some point they should have breakfalls. If they don't, buy a judo book.
        :google:

        Number of bottles of beer downed by me and my girlfriend within a half hour while playing the Channel 7 "how many times will they say 'snow' game" during the "Blizzard of '06": 3.5 each.

        Comment


          #5
          You know at first I thought it was just a self defense class as a sub part of a Kung Fu academy. But he has me doing stuff that the rest of his his Kung Fu students are doing. I'm doing the Monkey stuff right now. And it's the basic turn your wrist stuff to get someone to let go of you. I did get to pop my training partner in the face a couple times with a jab as he was trying to practice blocking punches. The instructor told me to slow down after the other student couldn't block them. I felt sorry for him.

          Comment


            #6
            That's in BJJ too, but we'd rather just turn each other into pretzels than escape our wrists through the thumb and forefinger.

            When I hear an animal style, my bullshidometer goes up a notch.
            :google:

            Number of bottles of beer downed by me and my girlfriend within a half hour while playing the Channel 7 "how many times will they say 'snow' game" during the "Blizzard of '06": 3.5 each.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Gorgo
              You know at first I thought it was just a self defense class as a sub part of a Kung Fu academy. But he has me doing stuff that the rest of his his Kung Fu students are doing. I'm doing the Monkey stuff right now. And it's the basic turn your wrist stuff to get someone to let go of you. I did get to pop my training partner in the face a couple times with a jab as he was trying to practice blocking punches. The instructor told me to slow down after the other student couldn't block them. I felt sorry for him.
              IMO that's the best way to learn to block. That's how I learned. When I used to study TKD I would scream at the white belts to him me in the face. If you can't block when under the risk of getting hit it's a useless skill. But there is a limit. If it was the first time they were learning the movement they may need some time to get it down. ESP if their coordination sucks. I will say that though breakfalls are not neccessary to self defense it would be a good idea to work on them. If you get knocked on your butt when in a fight it would be a nice skill to make it not end up an an injury. Besides it's just a good skill to have. I've had family members bit the dust and break bones from falling in a poor fashion (landing on their palms). I'd judge the school by seeing if their technique works. Test it in a tough situation. Better yet put it on the instructor and see if he can get out. Your inability would be due to not knowing the technique, whereas his would be due to the fact that the technique doesn't work, or he's teaching something he does not understand. Either way it's a red alert to find somewhere else to train. Good luck!
              Last edited by Luspher; 7/20/2007 12:38pm, .

              Comment


                #8
                My bjj class doesn't do breakfalls. It must be no good then. I'll go train in the monkey style.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by WhiteShark
                  I never practiced falling in my Muay Thai classes either...

                  I have
                  Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Here is another choice I have.

                    http://www.attikai.com/northcoastselfdefense/index.html

                    The instructor seems to have hung out with the Gracies.

                    Not sure if they do much sparring which is kinda what I want. I would like to know if what I am learning would actually work.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      It's BJJ. So they "spar".

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Kengou
                        My bjj class doesn't do breakfalls. It must be no good then. I'll go train in the monkey style.
                        It really doesn't? Do you guys not do much stand-up then?
                        "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Gorgo
                          My question is this. I've enrolled in a self defense class and last night was my first session. Shouldn't one of the first things that was taught was how to break a fall? I took a few Judo lessons when I was 10 and the two things that have always stuck with me was the Judo Roll and the practice of breaking a fall. I was the lowest skilled person there and not one time did anyone practice a fall technique or roll of any sort.
                          If students are going to be working on any sort of throws or takedowns, I would sure as heck hope they'd learn appropriate ukemi technique first.

                          Unfortunately, I know from experience that doesn't always happen. In two of the three karate styles I practiced, we occasionally did wristlock takedowns, and there was no ukemi training at all. Luckily for me, I'd done a lot of ukemi in the first karate style I ever studied (which had some basic judo thrown into the mix).

                          Anyhoo, if your instructor starts teaching anything that requires a good understanding of how to fall or roll, and you don't feel like you're ready to do that, my advice is, politely refuse to take part in that training. And explain why -- "I'm afraid I'm going to fall wrong and get injured." That's not being a wimp, that's being smart -- I have an old separated shoulder that will attest to the dangers of taking falls you haven't trained for.

                          Good luck.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Just a FYI: you don't need to introduce yourself, just jump right in. This is especially important since threads are sometimes indexed by their titles and it would have been better to label it as "Question About a Northern California Judo School" or something to that effect.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Kidspatula
                              I have
                              good I wont feel so bad ....

                              :pancakebu

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X