any decent kwoons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any decent kwoons?

I am at an awesome kwoon right now but i may be moving near charlotte nc this summer.
    I'm not too sure about the kung fu schools i've seen just buy web browsing, some seem like bullshido. This one had pictures of there students practicing in fucking karate gi's. Anyone know of anything around that area. (Rare styles tought would be worth driving an hour or so for).

...Look man, the Chinese food in North Carolina is possibly the worst in these united states oustide of rural Arkansas; so I wouldn't hold out much hope for Chinese martial arts in the area.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H.L. Mencken

Comment

Kung Fu schools are hurt'n Charlotte. So here are your options:

The BJJ place I train at has a school in charlotte : http://nc.roycegracie.tv/index.htm

That is, if you are interested in BJJ.

If not, I would check these 2 places out:

http://home.carolina.rr.com/enshin/index.html
      http://www.sevenowldojo.com/

They are not Kung Fu schools but I bet you will train hard at either of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack28110
        I am at an awesome kwoon right now but i may be moving near charlotte nc this summer.
        I'm not too sure about the kung fu schools i've seen just buy web browsing, some seem like bullshido. This one had pictures of there students practicing in fucking karate gi's. Anyone know of anything around that area. (Rare styles tought would be worth driving an hour or so for).
        Wah Lum of Charlotte
        Ryan Revak
        5817 Prosperity Church Rd
        Suite A
        Charlotte, NC 28269
        (704) 947-2857

I don't know this sifu or his club, but it might be worth checking out. As stated in the past,Wah Lum is not bullshido, but it may be a mcdojo.

Comment

thanks guys, what do you think about this place?

http://www.thepeacefuldragon.com/adults.shtml

really large schools seem a little sketch to me, is this good thinking or not?

Comment

Personally I wouldn't go there simply because it's called "The Peaceful Dragon."

Comment

That's exactly what I thought.....
              (-:

It says they offer 2 free classes. It's up to you my friend.
              "It does not matter who the master is. It does not matter what the face looks like. The masters are of the Qimen school of qigong/meditation which is related to Zen. The master wears white robes, and the predecessor master wears bright gold robes. The qimen school travels the univers and is not restricted to what paradise they live in. It has many masters" -Serious Harm

Comment

Originally posted by Jack28110
                thanks guys, what do you think about this place?

http://www.thepeacefuldragon.com/adults.shtml

From the website:

The authentic and traditional classes offered at The Peaceful Dragon are all taught or supervised by Master Eric Sbarge, founder and full-time head instructor of The Peaceful Dragon since 1997. Master Sbarge has spent nearly 30 years training intensively in traditional martial arts, qigong, yoga and meditation, primarily at the A.C.C.S. (American Center for Chinese Studies) headquarters in New York and at the Chuan Yen Monastery in upstate New York.

He is expert in several methods of Taoist and Chan meditation, yoga,and qigong for health and self-development. In 2001 he was honored as one of the few A.C.C.S. instructors to be promoted to Master Level martial arts instructor. He began his martial arts training in Japanese styles, and for the past 25 years has practiced the Chinese martial arts styles of Shaolin kungfu, shuai chiao grappling, tai chi and the related internal martial arts of pakua and hsing-i under the direction of Grandmaster Ma Foren (Frank DeMaria.) Grandmaster Ma Foren, who has trained in meditation, Chinese martial arts and qigong with several world-renowned teachers for over 50 years, is the adopted son of one of the most famous and skilled tai chi and kungfu masters of the 20th century, the legendary Ch'ang Dung Sheng.
                I imagine that JFS USA would know whether these credentials are any good - he seems to be very tight with the New York CMA community. Its a good website though - I didn't look at it in much detail, but they are pretty up-front with what they offer and their lineage etc.

It doesn't seem to be a school that professes to turn out "fighters", but that only matters if that is your goal. Some of the student testimonials had me rolling my eyes ("The Peaceful Dragon is the Harvard of martial arts schools").

I dunno - they do have a sparring class, but they also call their advanced students "disciples"....
                Jesus loves you. I think you're an asshole.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                X