Announcement

Collapse

FORUM MAINTENANCE

FORUM MAINTENANCE THIS EVENING!!! PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE FORUMS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR A PERIOD OF TIME. JOIN US ON THE DISCORD, INSTEAD!
See more
See less

Possible McDojo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible McDojo

All,

I found this bit of bullshido online, and thought you might want to take a look for yourselves:

Ambrose Academy

"Wing Chun Do" is all I needed to hear to know that it was shit.

PL

Comment

Now THAT is the R33L Wing Chun.... I groan under the inevitability of Wing Chun Do having been invented, that Bruce Lee is used to justify it, and that they dont do sparring.

I would have thought that 'Do' on the end would mean that it was sports-based...

Their 'technique archive' shows just how bad these people are:
      http://www.ambroseacademy.com/rocco/techarch.htm

Comment

I actually emailed them, asking them if they incorporate any groundwork into their 'defense system', and if they would be willing to demonstrate their ability to remain standing during an altercation with someone who wants to take the fight to the ground. To my shocking surprise, I have yet to recieve a reply. I have been around MA since I was a child, and wtinessed the new found respect these arts have developed over the years for groundfighters. The sad thing is, most of these inneffective, old school martial arts instructors are the ones with the spacious, decked out schools for the time being, and the BJJ folks are stuck in some strip mall, or worse. My instructor just bought out an old TKD school, and it is huge. Padded from wall to wall, with great mats, an extra room, and out of the immediate eye of the walk in type a**holes we have all seen march into a pratice session to run their mouth, and dirupt class. As time goes by I am wondering if this will become the trend. A sort of 'martial darwinism', and slowly the McDojo's will succomb to the new kid on the block, and the old school, disco era martial arts will be as out of style as platform shoes, and the Bee Gee's.

Your thoughts???

Comment

I never heard of Bruce developing any system like this. It looks like a hybridisation showing a complete lack of applied knowledge or ability.

If they sparred they may one day be able to figure out what the hell I am talking about.

The whole speil is filled with lies or inconsistencies. If this was developed by NHB fighting before the term NHB existed why dont they spar? heheh.
          Last edited by Leper_Messiah; 10/24/2005 8:52pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by Poop-Loops
            "Wing Chun Do" is all I needed to hear to know that it was shit.

PL
            DARN! I'm too late to say it!

Comment

Wing Chun Do was invented by 'Grandmaster' James W. DeMile... this is an excerpt from the website about him:

Grandmaster James W. DeMile was born in 1935 in San Francisco. Much of his childhood was spent in an orphanage. His whole attitude of survival of the fittest, his ability to overcome any situation, either psychologically or physically developed during those years.
              "It is not surprising that I was getting into a lot of trouble as a youth and really had no value system established," said DeMile. He joined the Air Force hoping to focus his energy in a more positive direction. He became the Heavy Weight Champion of the Air Force for two years. He found his aggressiveness as a street fighter worked well in the boxing ring. He was undefeated and won 128 fights. After the Air Force, James began attending Edison Technical School in Seattle where he met Bruce Lee in 1959.
              from http://www.ambroseacademy.com/history/sijo1.htm

Do we have the capacity to confirm this? Can any of our military people check to see if he was a heavy weight boxing champion in the US Air Force? I imagine that to be able to call yourself a champion then you must have won a championship...
              Last edited by I aint punchy!?; 10/24/2005 8:25pm, .

Comment

Ok, so he says sparring isn't worthwhile and then goes on to talk about how Bruce Lee fought in no-holds barred matches to develop his fighting skills?

If sparring was good enough for Bruce why not this guy?

Maybe you should ask him

Comment

From the information I have managed to dig up, James Demile is the real Mccoy.

Here are some links I found while poking around on google:

http://www.wingchundo.com/
                  http://www.brucelee.org.uk/shop/e-zine.htm
                  http://www.fortunecity.com/lavender/friday/155/id20.htm
                  http://www.bruce-lee.ws/students.html

James Demile is also affiliated with a great deal of very credible martial artists. In addition to this, several of Demile's students have incorporated a great deal of the ground fighting into their training.

Here is one example (taken from Demile's website):

"Chris Blanke - Trained with Jim Clark in Michigan in 1985 and became certified in the basic instructors program in 1991. He has a school in Port Clinton, Ohio. Chris became fully certified in March of '96. Chris is the 1995 national lightweight Sport Jujitsu champion and represented the USA at the 1995 World Jujitsu Championship in Auckland, New Zealand. He was on the 1997 USA Sport Jujitsu team at the World Championships, held in West Virginia. He won 7 out of seven matches to receive a team gold as well as won a gold medal for individual Blackbelt competition. He is the current World welterweight full contact champion in the International Sport Jujitsu Association."

This was found on ADCC new archive:

"Saulo acknowledged all of his students who traveled to Brazil to compete in the World and the International Master/Senior Championships. He also recognized Regis Lebre as Instructor of the Year. The highlight of the opening ceremonies for SRJJ Toledo representative, Chris Blanke, was without a doubt the moment when Saulo presented him with a well-earned black belt. "

I would say that Wing Chun Do in itself shouldn't be completely discredited as an ineffective fighitng style. If one of the greatest martial artists this world has ever seen devised a fighting method like this, it must offer something valuable to everyone. I would be certain many of the core principles of this martial art are applicable to modern fighting, and perhaps have a great deal of credibility.

What say you???

Comment

(not all WC schools ignore sparring. Ours loves it.)

And that was irritating to read. "In a life threatening situation the attacker will be like a vicious animal who will assault you and attempt to maim, cripple, or kill you as quickly and directly as possible without hesitation. To survive this kind of vicious attack you must be able to react reflexively with direct, bare-bones no-holds-barred self-defense." And how does he propose one does that without ever rehearsing anything remotely similar?

"It generally has a limited intensity and aggression level and restricted targeting" Yeah, if you make it that way. Call it no kicks to the knee and no groin strikes and let rip, then it's just dandy.

"He is not going to "box" with you." But there is a chance he's been trained in something, somewhere. There's no point assuming he'll be some grunting ape.

And as for the post above.... GRRR. One one point, Bruce Lee didn't DO all that much Wing Chun, and two, he didn't invent this Wing Chun Do bollocks.

I condemn thee, McDojo.

Comment

Originally posted by Duke_of_Pain

I would say that Wing Chun Do in itself shouldn't be completely discredited as an ineffective fighitng style. If one of the greatest martial artists this world has ever seen devised a fighting method like this, it must offer something valuable to everyone. I would be certain many of the core principles of this martial art are applicable to modern fighting, and perhaps have a great deal of credibility.

What say you???
                      First of all:
                      Bruce Lee didn't invent Wing Chun Do... this Demille guy did.
                      Bruce Lee probably didn't know that much Wing Chun -- he knew some, and was influenced by lots of different styles.

There is also a question mark concerning how good a fighter, as opposed to performer, that Bruce Lee really was... not to say he was definitely crap, but what major tournaments/competitions/challenge-matches did he fight and win in?

Any martial art that has no sparring is teaching a bunch of people how to dance.

As the funky dude with the fro said in 'Enter the Dragon' when asked what he would do if he was defeated in combat:
                      'Doesn't matter I'll be too busy looking good!'

:deadhorse

Dude I'd hate to see your BJJ club then if you dont think sparrin is important.

Comment

I'm just gonna focus on the paragraph mentioned, since my Mctime is short.

Alright, so, lemme get this straight: In the conventional sense, they don't spar, right? Yet they still maintain that they are centered around 'self defence'? To me, (I'm not gonna make assumptions but I assume most here also) sparring IS simulation for an actual combat situation, therefore, it is the best time for application and trial of potential self-defence techniques. This guy seems to make the assumption that sparring is simply contest-based, that one doesnt simulate actual combat, which I dont get at all. How can one simulate combat better than launching into someone else within a dojo? I know sparring is restrained within a dojo, in the sense that you can't smash someones face into a bloody pulp, but the purpose of sparring is to preapre you for the 'real thing' as it were.

Bottom line that I draw from this is that it would be difficult for a self proclaimed 'self-defence' academy to properly teach self defence with no allowance for a real simulation.

Comment

Originally posted by The Limey
                          Ok, so he says sparring isn't worthwhile and then goes on to talk about how Bruce Lee fought in no-holds barred matches to develop his fighting skills?

If sparring was good enough for Bruce why not this guy?

Maybe you should ask him
                          No you misread what he is implying. By saying no holds barred it is a "Street" fight scenario. It isn't sparring by his definition of the word. So, Bruce Lee never "sparred" he only got in to "real" fights.

Wonder if it is a cousin to Shaolin-Do.

Comment

"This point was hammered home to me when I began sparring with a Golden Glove boxer. I found that most of my martial arts techniques didn't work against a real fighter. The martial arts were off my list and self defense was my new objective. A little research convinced me that what I needed was Wing Chun."
                            Non-sequitor. What a waste of an experience. That's why this douche doesn't like sparring or let his students do it. He gets his ass kicked.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                            X