Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't choose between those 2...

Hi there everyone,

I did alot of research on MA style and I figure out that of couple of them are joke and some are really realistic. I was looking for a realistic fighting style to defend myself (I'm looking also for competition)and I end up with Muay Thai and Ed Parker kenpo. I wonder if you guy's can help me choose between those 2 by telling me the pro ans cons of these style. Also I love doing conditionning and endurance that why Muay Thai is on my list. But kenpo seem better for fighting situation since it look like a complete MA style. Or maybe you people can give me another suggestion of a style I could look into.

Thanks for reading this and for the help.

I think muay thai is known as the more brutaly effective art. Kenpo has a more mixed name.

If you are youngish and can deal with the physiocal demands and don't mind the inherent violence in the art then I think Muay Thai is the better art.

Kenpo seem (like most other arts) to be more of a self-defense, is not as violent and probably not as efficient against trained opponents. In my mind there also seem to be more McDojo's around Kenpo.

They are two quite different beasts.

Comment

Muay Thai.

Kempo is a crapshot with the level of school you are going to get but MT is pretty consistent world wide.
      ______
      Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
      -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
      The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
      -Daniel Tosh

Comment

Oh yes I forgot some told my that Kyokushin Karate was good for RL situation can anyone confirm this?

Comment

Kyokushin Karate seem to have a good name on this site.

Don't worry so much about style. Try to find the best instructor in your area. This is not necceseray the one with the longest resume bur someone you like to work under and learn from. It's the teacher not the style i.m.o

Comment

True but once I know what style I want to learn I will then look for good teacher.
            If for exemple I pick Muay Thai and all the teacher are total moron..then I will go for a second option.

Comment

Muay thai and BJJ. good stuff, no bullshit.

Comment

Muay Thai. Period. If you can find Kyokushin, that's good too. MT has a consistant track record of producing good fighters.
                DIDN'T YOU KNOW?! The Chinese know everything! And they knew it 4,000 years before YOU did!

"Yes. Yes I am. I'm clearly illiterate and dictating this post to a squadron of several dozen trained jumping beans I've coearced into living on my keyboard, each named after a letter or character, which bounce up and down as I call their names." -JohnnyCache

Comment

If you are under 10 years old, you might want to have a look at Burmese Boxing.

PL

Comment

Btw I'm 21 in case it help for choosing the style that I should pratice

Comment

Nah, it doesn't really. It's not like gymnastics or swimming, where if you're over a certain age, you suddenly won't learn anything. The only time age is a factor is when you're really young and can still be mangled and stay like that, or really old, and can't move or your hip explodes.

PL

Comment

"The only time age is a factor is when you're really young and can still be mangled and stay like that, or really old, and can't move or your hip explodes."

I would pay good money to see some old guys hip exploding....

...and I still think your name shoud have been shit flakes poop...

Comment

I don't agree. Many martial arts are for younger people; BJJ and Muay Thai included. Look at the average age of people who go to these gyms. They are in their low to middle 20's. There are other arts where people are on average older.

I'm only in my 30's but I can't see myself doing MT. When I was 21 I could. Same for BJJ.

That said MT and BJJ is probably more efficient then the art I'm in, but there are other ways then MT and BJJ that works.

So yeah if you are 21 and are interested in MT go for it! Also look at boxing schools!

Comment

I'm just here to tell you to take the mauy thai.

Comment

Originally posted by StinkyFlower
                              I don't agree. Many martial arts are for younger people; BJJ and Muay Thai included. Look at the average age of people who go to these gyms. They are in their low to middle 20's. There are other arts where people are on average older.

I'm only in my 30's but I can't see myself doing MT. When I was 21 I could. Same for BJJ.
                              I'm 34 and I started MT and BJJ a month ago.

My hip hasn't exploded yet.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X