X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Escrima Competition

http://www.dai-sifu.com/video/KASPER_ELKJ_R_VS_WAYNE_TAPP.WMV

opinions?

boring, these guys clearly aren't the top of the top....

the black guy dominated because he attacked, looks like the art is about speed and reach, which is good for me....at least

boring

--
    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
    The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed later.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

It was an interesting match, though the camera work could have been better.

I liked the way that the fighters stayed offline as much as possible, always a good strategy.

However, there did not seem to be as many combinations thrown as I would have expected. Seemed to be a lot of one strikes then move out. I would think that two to three strikes would be more effective in keeping your opponent off balance.

All in all, I enjoyed the match. Not bad from my stand point at all.

Sincerely,

Knowing it is not enough, we must apply.
      Willing is not enough, we must do.

Never approach a Bull from the front, a Horse from the rear, or a Fool from any direction!

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. -- Thomas Payne

Comment

"It was an interesting match, though the camera work could have been better."
        and it could have been edited to leave out the blank crap

"I liked the way that the fighters stayed offline as much as possible, always a good strategy. "
        offline?

"However, there did not seem to be as many combinations thrown as I would have expected. Seemed to be a lot of one strikes then move out. I would think that two to three strikes would be more effective in keeping your opponent off balance.

All in all, I enjoyed the match. Not bad from my stand point at all."
        is this deja vu? did you post this before? or was it someone else?

--
        Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Comment

offline?
          In our school, we are taught that moving straight in and out is sparring online. When you come in from the side and move out on the other side your are V-ing in and out, or sparring offline. Offline meaning you exit from your attack at a different angle then you approached.

"However, there did not seem to be as many combinations thrown as I would have expected. Seemed to be a lot of one strikes then move out. I would think that two to three strikes would be more effective in keeping your opponent off balance.

All in all, I enjoyed the match. Not bad from my stand point at all."

is this deja vu? did you post this before? or was it someone else?
          Nope, I did not post this before. I think this is the first video match I have commented on. I enjoy escrima, and so I was interested in this video and wanted to leave a comment on it.

I hope my explanation of Offline was adequate.

Sincerely,

Never approach a Bull from the front, a Horse from the rear, or a Fool from any direction!

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. -- Thomas Payne

Comment

These guys are boxers, aren't they?

Overcommitted to strikes (Black actually knocked his own stick out of his hand=burnt toast, and that wild swing at the end when he threw himself completely off balance??), bouncy-bouncy-bounce (boxer?) footwork/no prolonged engagement, ignored non-caveman applications of the stick/real stick grappler would have tapped him out with a neck lock when he went for the clinch early on.

Why does Black keep boinging/catching air right before a caveman. Though to be fair, it seems red believes the best defense against a caveman skull smash is to cringe, and not, um, getting out of the way.

Cool to see kicks incorporated, hope they both explore the uses of different Muay Thai kicks in a future match.

For a match with protective gear, expected more technique than one shot deals, even some razzle dazzle like faking and feinting (does not include backing off from ill-timed attack). Still, it requires balls to get in any ring, and some of those strikes were very powerful. Kudos.

Comment

"I hope my explanation of Offline was adequate."
              sure......just i would have thought there were better names for this......

--

Comment

P-Doff, I will invent cooler names for online/offline.

Online: Tron-Fighting

Offline: Q-Bert Style

Comment

i am at a loss for words....

*blink*

--

Edited by - pizdoff on March 19 2003 17:59:18

Comment

Looked like this school was a conjunction WT/Escrima (EBMAS?) place, judging from what (I think) were posters of Leung Ting doing Siu Nim Tau on the wall, which doesn't offer me any apparent insight on their fighting styles.

I think everyone knew blue was the winner before the ref called it, he dominated the match. His low Thai-style kicks were more effective than his opponent's reaching, weak push and side kicks that more resembled Tae Kwon Do than anything else.
                    "The morning glory blooms for an hour. It differs not at heart from the giant pine, which lives for a thousand years."

Comment

I gotta find some Dog Brothers tapes. Now that is some serious stick fighting!!!
                      Originally posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
                      "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Comment

No dizzoubt bro.

~
                        my name is daniel jo

Comment

Pizdoff,
                          Offline is pretty standard terminology. I picked it up in fencing.

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**
                          Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the fuck I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Comment

the link doesn't work..?

Comment

AA, You can check out Dog Bro's tape on stick fighting using Krabi Krabong (Salty Dog does it, I think).

It's a pretty shallow exploration, but the fights are interesting.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X