Weapons training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weapons training

I just want to know the opinions of you guys on weapons and the techniques used for them. About a third of my Bushido Ju Jitsu training time is weapons training including nunchaku, bo and jo, sai, tonfa, katana (rarely) and knives. I think the general bent of this site is anti-TMA and therefore anti-weapons, but I'd like to know anyway.

There's something inside me that pulls beneath the surface, consuming...

I think weopon training is good if you are focused using short stick/long stick and bladed weopons. For obvious reasons these are very common on the street. If you really want to know how to defend against a weopon while being unarmed you should know the attack startegy of various systems ie. escrima. And know what are some of the "tricks" an attacker may used agaisnt you. I dont know about the use of other weopons though. The tonfa is good if your training to be a law enforncement officer or something but the rest of the stuff like the sai is almost useless from a modern perspective.

"Do what thou wilt is the whole of the Law"
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Comment

I find the tonfa compatible with a grappling style, useful for strikes and locks. We are tuaght how to defend against sticks and knives but not much else. What style do you train weapons in?

Comment

Jo is definately a viable weapon style, escrima stickwork is also practical, along with knife work. As for the others, I thing the weapon shapes may be a little too esoteric to come across in daily life (though a tonfa could be made from a broken chair).
        Bo is too long, sai and katana are too unlikely, kama and nunchaka not in a million years.
        Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Comment

Working with weapons can help improve footwork.

Comment

true

"I just want to know the opinions of you guys on weapons and the techniques used for them"
            good but how useful for me? i don't carry weapons really but training is good

Wing Chun has a pole form and it is used to learn to generate power and solidify footwork, balance and that crap.....useful but who will find a pole?
            :)

--
            Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
            The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed later.
            Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

personally i don't do the pole stuff that my Sifu teaches, i always ask to do something else

--
              Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
              The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed later.
              Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

Honestly I hate any stick that are longer than my forearm. I would rather throw any stick longer than my perfer size away and fight bare hand than try to use the stick.

In Bujinkan, I practice with sword (not useful but fun) and hanbo. I dont like the hanbo though. I know we will practice with every kind of weapons. My favorite weapons are a dagger.

Just throw rock at it and it will go away.

"I would rather admit I am a lousy student than say I am the best, because once you think you are the best, there is no reason to continue learning."
                I would pick bag work over masturbating, fighting over sex, and KOing someone over having a orgasm!

Comment

"Kama and Nunchaku not in a million years". I agree with the first part, but not with the second. A nunchaku is extemely praticle. If you train with one than you would know why. First off Most Nunchaku techniques are grappling, so you can substitue the with a rope, or chain. Secondly you can find a stick lieing anywhere and use that. You have to use your imagination a bit for stuff like that.

Comment

I do short staff training (about 1 meter) and knife training.

Nunchaku training would be fun to do, if only to partly satisfy the Bruce Lee fantasy I had as a kid

(no I don't care how good or bad he was at it)

--------
                    Make friends with them until they beg for mercy.
                    --------
                    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
                    - Pizdoff

Comment

I'll take your word for it about the nunchaka... last time I tried them I nearly brained myself.
                      Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Comment

Weapons are useful in MAs for two reasons:

as a way of training movement and teaching concept - IMHO Aikido weapons fall into this category. Aikiken and Aikijo are quite useless for practical combat but help in teaching extension, movement and other concepts.

as a practical self-defense option - kali / arnis / escrima teaches weapons as nothing but tools for killing and maiming. Knives, spears, machetes are all taught as a foundation for empty hand applications. If you want to learn to use weapons as weapons, then go look for the Filipino Martial Arts or any style that emphasizes actual application.

Comment

As for street weopons sticks, broom handles , tire iron, cro bars are common. Knives are very common. Chains and bike chains are sometimes present. I only seen this once but some idiot in my neighbourhood was running around with a sword! (I suppose machetes are somewhat present on the streets.)
                          I dont know about nunchaku though? If its legal to carry one in your neck of the woods then you mind as well learn how to use it. If you have to face multiple opponents then it would definatly be an asset to you.

"Do what thou wilt is the whole of the Law"
                          Ghost of Charles Dickens

Comment

They make compact concealable Nunchakus also. Hell people carry knives so why not carry a toy of your own?

Comment

Damn. I hate it when I post a topic and only get the replies two days later. Anyway.
                              I personally think the nunchaku is practical, though the law varies from place to place. In Gibraltar, we are on Spains border, and on the other side I think I can carry pretty much anything, though I'd have a tough time getting it across.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X