Untrained Fighters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Untrained Fighters

Some MA teachers, I'm sure you've had one, will tell you that most untrained fighters or streetfighters will attack in a certain way that leaves them incredibley vunerable. You know, like when MA teachers tell you that untrained fighters will almost always attack you with raging lunge punches that leaves them open. You know this stuff is bullshit. This also includes self-defenses against really weird attacks, and teachers sometimes say these attacks are common. What is the strangest bullshit thing your MA teachers tell you about how untrained assailants attack.

That our techniques are to lethal for competition. That is why we don't compete in the UFC and such.

Then we turn around and spar with rules.

Comment

I also want to know about " 95% of fights go to the ground" and training with an unresisting opponent type things.

Comment

Not that my teacher actually claims that people are likely to attack in these ways, but I'd say almost any attack in traditional aikido...

Comment

...and with the bashing of aikido this thread turns into a raging shit storm in 3....2.....1....

Comment

All right is July really Troll month? I know someone asked this already but damn, we have had an unusually high amount of stupidityy pop up.

My non-sparring style is great.
            My Belt Certification ceremony is beautiful.
            What is cun foo...
            Commander Coal.
            Karate/Ninja/Grappling blend.

WOW.

This is just a few off the top of my head.

Comment

Yup...just the mere mention of aikido and this thread is already a trainwreck.

Comment

This thread was a trainwreck to start...... oh hell, there is a show on T.V about whores...... back on track, how much about sidearm swings?

Comment

the good old "I STAB YOU" mechanical straight arm downward stabbing motion of all cheesy X-block knife defenses
                  I think it was two ninjas taped together, to make one GIANT NINJA!!!!

Comment

Oh yeah, I hear you on x-blocks. We didn't do so much of that, but I hear alot about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Savatuer
                      I also want to know about " 95% of fights go to the ground" and training with an unresisting opponent type things.
                      I think that number came from some police survey or statistics. I believe that 95% of *the police officers'* altercations went to the ground. This should not be very surprising, since police officers (I believe) are trained to take perps to the ground so they can cuff them. The public also tends to frown on cops whipping out their night sticks and going Rodney King on people.

I think many martial artists like to throw this number around in order to stress the importance of learning ground fighting. I think they have gone overboard with it, though. As important as it is to learn ground fighting, I really doubt that 95% of "real" fights go to the ground.

Someone back me up or correct me on this... like I have to ask. :)

Comment

^ Ive been told 90 someting% of fights go to the ground as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Savatuer
                          I'm too lazy but we actually posted the actual stats a while ago. Bat Ronin I think, anyway, yeah there are several threads on this going on right now. Easily searched out..

hint

search button..

hint..

Comment

You have a good point. For what is it worth, there are a number of assaults which are more common than others which you should be aware of in drilling SD... and by doing certain things (like putting up the "fence" you can reduce their options until the point it becomes reasonably realistic to second guess what they are going to open with (watching the shoulders etc). BUT, it ain't a half arsed swing from ten feet away or the 1963 bayonet thrust. Or worse still step forward with a lunge punch. That's all bollox and that's what you normally see in "SD".
                            You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
                            FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
                            Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
                            Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Comment

The worst thing I can remember were the punching-mechanics of the "untrained fighter" ... which almost everytime resembeled the "unique" punching style of the certain system, with the only difference that they were mostly thrown so overcommited, that the guy fell over his own feet ... pure real-life realism :icon_twis

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X