McDojo or nothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

McDojo or nothing

I found the Bullshido site a few days ago, and it's really opened my eyes. I've been training for several months at the only place that's close and is reasonably priced. It's a TKD dojang with decent equipment and the instructors are nice enough. I'm not sure if it totally qualifies as a McDojo since they never push the money angle. What got me is the 6 year old kid that will have finished his BB by the end of this year. I asked the instructor if it was a junior BB or some kind of BB placeholder until he was older. Nope. It's a real one (if you can call a 6 year old a real BB). I've been thinking a lot about the self defense value of TKD too. I went to a Muay Thai school on my way home from work the other day and was impressed. I mentioned that to my instructor and he says "Yea, I'd like to know some of that if I was in a real fight". Anyway, I'm stuck with this until I can afford to pay for the Carlos Machado BJJ school. It's a hour drive, but worth it I'm sure.

You guys do good work here. I'll try to chime in if I ever have something worthwhile to say.

I think that there's a lot of unwarranted prejudice against TKD and other sporty techniques. If you realize that you're not learning practical defense techniques and simply do it for the exercise/fun if it, there's nothing wrong with any style of MA.

Comment

it seems like you are taking olympic tkd, which is a sport. taking olympic tkd is not for self defense. if your goals are self defense based tkd isn't for you.

also, paying a lot of money and driving that far to train with carlos machado seems quite ridiculous to me. im sure you can find a cheaper and closer bjj or judo school. and you will learn just as much there.

Comment

I went to a Muay Thai school on my way home from work the other day and was impressed. I mentioned that to my instructor and he says "Yea, I'd like to know some of that if I was in a real fight".
        LOL! That is not a good sign. That said, if you really enjoy what you're doing, keep doing it like you say till you can afford the machado academy. Otherwise, save the cash, focus on conditioning, and you'll be training at the machado school that much quicker. But I would REALLY look around seriously for a boxing club, judo club, or wrestling club in your area as well, they are all very widespread across NA so I'd be surprised if there is none at all near you.

Comment

It looks like this TKD school is less then mediocre.So just forget them and go join that Muay-thai gym now.
          [img=http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/2364/8026700123940loij9.th.jpg]

"God damn America" --Muammar al-Gaddafi

Comment

I think I've made my disdain for TKD in general pretty clear, but at least your instructor isn't spouting the "No, TKD is the deadliest art! No one can get through our kicks of POWA!!!!" shit. That's a good sign.

So, take what you can from the TKD and suppliment it when you get a chance.
            Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Comment

TKD may have a bad rep ... but if you ever need to learn how to kick a man off a horse ... TKD is the only art that teaches that mighty skill .
              I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
              BILL HICKS,
              1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
              ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

If you enjoy TKD then you should continue training in it. Don't take BJJ because it's not bullshido, take it because you like it. Unless you're planning to be the ultimate fighter, then by all means scrap TKD and do BJJ.

Comment

Originally posted by Tetsusaiga
                  I found the Bullshido site a few days ago, and it's really opened my eyes. I've been training for several months at the only place that's close and is reasonably priced. It's a TKD dojang with decent equipment and the instructors are nice enough. I'm not sure if it totally qualifies as a McDojo since they never push the money angle. What got me is the 6 year old kid that will have finished his BB by the end of this year. I asked the instructor if it was a junior BB or some kind of BB placeholder until he was older. Nope. It's a real one (if you can call a 6 year old a real BB). I've been thinking a lot about the self defense value of TKD too. I went to a Muay Thai school on my way home from work the other day and was impressed. I mentioned that to my instructor and he says "Yea, I'd like to know some of that if I was in a real fight". Anyway, I'm stuck with this until I can afford to pay for the Carlos Machado BJJ school. It's a hour drive, but worth it I'm sure.

You guys do good work here. I'll try to chime in if I ever have something worthwhile to say.
                  If you are in Dallas, drop me a pm. I used to live there and maybe able to help you out.

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I will stick it out for a while. I do enjoy being back in MA. I'm sure an opportunity to try a different style will present itself.

Comment

Why not that MT school that was on your way home from work? Sounds better than driving an hour to a school.

Comment

I second the go-to-the-MT-school.

And if your instructor wants to learn MT so bad, maybe he could join with you.

Comment

Originally posted by _Mick_
                          it seems like you are taking olympic tkd, which is a sport. taking olympic tkd is not for self defense. if your goals are self defense based tkd isn't for you.

also, paying a lot of money and driving that far to train with carlos machado seems quite ridiculous to me. im sure you can find a cheaper and closer bjj or judo school. and you will learn just as much there.
                          I don't know, dude. I have to disagree.

An hour drive ain't that bad if your in the middle of nowhere like me. Plus, you have to look at the value of what you are getting. It would be much more valuable to go to a BJJ school even just once a week, and train with training partners in between classes, then to be at a TKD school that doesn't teach you how to fight 5 nights a week. If you can find something closer, then cool, but if not, a hour drive ain't that bad.

The Tai Boxing place looks like a good option too, though. If you can afford it, do both....it'll make you real well rounded.

:happy6:

Comment

If you are happy with what you are doing, and the TKD people don't have any illusions about being 'teh deadly' as you have said than I see no problem.

Here is my position. Often we look at the end result without looking at the process. You can't just skip to the end and say I WIN! It takes a long journey down a lot of roads to get to your destination. What I mean by that is the time you spend learning TKD will give you a baseline with what to judge OTHER training you receive.

I personally spent time in Kenpo, TKD, and a few other traditional arts. I don't consider them 'wasted'. They are integral in filling in many cracks that I see in other people who simply jump into the whole MT/BJJ thing. They will never know what it is like to take your shoes off before you enter the building, bow as you go on the mat, etc. They might never be exposed to the belt factory mentality. They may not realize how important 'lineage' is to some people.

Some people might tell you to get out of the TKD as fast as you can. Maybe you should/will. Then again, you are a unique individual with unique needs. And you make your own decisions. And the bottom line is if you are enjoying yourself without deceiving yourself you are doing the right thing. What is right for you now may not be right for you in the future. And conversely, what is right for you in the future might not be right for you now. Maybe you need some grounding in a traditional art to give some perspective. It worked for me.

Comment

Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
                              TKD may have a bad rep ... but if you ever need to learn how to kick a man off a horse ... TKD is the only art that teaches that mighty skill .
                              I'll kill bulls. One day.

With nothing more than a jar of Marmite.

Comment

Working...
                              X