Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to look for in a BJJ School

Hey guys,

Came across your website while looking for a new club to train at, got to say I love the no b/s approach to martial arts you seem to have.

My background is mostly shotokan karate and tkd, with a little hapkido thrown in there. Have done a fair bit of "kinda full contact fighting", basically wear hand and foot protection, hit as hard as you can below the neck, light to the face and head to avoid injury, no kneeing or elbowing, no hitting the groin or knees, leg kicks allowed and ancouraged.

So not what you'd call hard core fighting, but not wussy point fighting either.

Anyway, I'll get to the point, I'm ok on my feet, but as soon as it goes to the ground it's game over. so I've decided that it's time for me to learn some ground skills, and I figure BJJ is the place to go.

But knowing next to nothing about ground fighting I don't know what to look for in a school and a teacher. So if you guys can give me some pointers on how to tell the good teachers apart from the bad ones I'd appreciate it.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and sparring, I assume. I mean, that's what makes it a BJJ school right?
    Last edited by MEGA JESUS-SAMA; 7/27/2005 11:10am, .

Comment

Originally posted by MEGA JESUS-SAN
      Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and sparring, I assume. I mean, that's what makes it a BJJ school right?

That may have been sarcastic but he should probably look out for schools that have 10+ "arts" on their flyer/window, among them "grappling".

Comment

http://bjj.org/academies/
        this site is sometimes out of date- but this should help

Comment

Look at the students. If you see a group of athletic, enthusiastic, hard-training people -> good.

Ask for tournament participation. Lots of people successfully competing in grappling and/ or MMA -> good.

Look at the teaching and training methods. Instructor explains techniques thoroughly and puts them in context -> good. Drills AND lots of sparring -> good.

Don't worry about etiquette. Bowing -> suspicious.

Don't worry too much about cleanliness. Grubby mats -> ringworm. Grubby mats != bad BJJ.

If you find a school you're interested in, post here and on MMA.tv and other boards to get second opinions.
          There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

Comment

Originally posted by Year Zero
            he should probably look out for schools that have 10+ "arts" on their flyer/window, among them "grappling".
            I think I understand what you are trying to say BUT it isn't always true. My school teachs eight different arts and I doubt that anyone knowledgable of my BJJ instructor can say that the BJJ class is sub-par.

Comment

Limey,
              Your location would be helpful. Maybe we can point to the right place and cut some of you leg work.

KP

Comment

Look at the student's ears. If they look normal, it's no good; might as well be doing taebo. If they look like skin pulled over popcorn, good place.

Seriously, look at the additudes of the students. For me, the best is friendly competitive. Guys who will push you, but do so in a way that'll make you better. Not rip your head off for the fun of it.

Comment

If the instructor is a legit BJJ belt holder, you probably won't have to worry about getting good training. If there is more than one BJJ school in your area, try them all--most will let you come in for a complimentary workout. Then pick the one that best suits you. Do you have any links to schools you're considering?

Comment

LEGIT black belt!!!!!

Comment

Make sure the schools floors are covered in broken glass and lava, mats are for pussies!
                      Mauro: Coming into the ring now is Giant Silva. 7 foot 2, 385 lbs, making his debut in Pride.
                      Bas: Wow, that is one big guy!
                      Mauro: He must have an enormous Johnson!
                      Bas: Ur…I suppose.
                      Mauro: What are his keys to victory here in the Pride ring tonight?
                      Bas: Well I think he needs to use his reach, avoid Heaths takedowns, and try to use his size to overpower him.
                      Mauro: I mean, imagine the size of that thing!
                      Bas: Now Heath is coming into the ring…
                      Mauro: Do women really like them that big? Doesn’t it hurt?
                      Bas: I really wouldn’t know.
                      Mauro: I’m starting to feel a little insecure.
                      Bas: Let’s just talk about the fight.
                      Mauro: You’re right, el Basito. What are Heaths keys to winning here tonight. What does he have to do? What are his strategies for emerging victorious here in the Saitama Super Arena tonight?
                      Bas: Well, the first thing…
                      Mauro: My wife says she doesn’t like them too big, that it’s all about how you use it.
                      Bas: That’s not what she told me.

Comment

http://www.brazilianblackbelt.locawe...asp?codigo=496

If they look like this, it's an official school and you should join immediately.
                        Last edited by VikingPower; 7/27/2005 12:07pm, .
                        SON OF ODIN

My Punching with Power article

Comment

Ask for lineage scrolls.

Comment

Originally posted by KhorneliusPraxx
                            LEGIT black belt!!!!!
                            Unfortunately, there's a BJJ BB shortage, so some schools are helmed by lower ranking belts. The lower belts, though, teach under the auspices of a legit BJJ BB who comes in to conduct seminars and do rank promotions. Hopefully, The Limey is in an area where there is a full-time BJJ BB instructor. If not, if the listed instructor is a lower belt, then The Limey needs to make sure that that lower belt is a legit BJJ belt holder teaching under the auspices of a legit BJJ BB.

Comment

If you are in Manchester, go to the straight blast gym there.

http://www.karltanswell.co.uk/home.html

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X