No announcement yet.

Christian Karate (the MA thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i can admit, when i started the "other" thread i wasn't intending to cause all the stupid comments that spewed from people's mouths....er....keyboards.

anyway, i was just saying that i don't feel as though religion and martial arts should be as mixed as in some of these schools. you can have any kind of a mcdojo you want, whether it is catholic, christian, alien-worshipping or what have you. i mean, if people want to participate in that, it's their choice solely. BUT is the student really understanding the true meaning and absorbing the benefits of a traditional art? one can say it all depends on the dojo or the sensei, but a good chunk of these dojos require studying verses from the bible and knowing them, even reciting them at the end of some classes. i think martial arts should be martial arts. if people want to pray afterwards, that's great. but my question is should we mix the two this closely?
    i have a problem with going to nationals in NC and having to hear a prayer in the name of jesus christ. the thing is- the host dojo wasn't a christian dojo. i still don't understand who gave them the go-ahead in giving that prayer. i am atheist and i can tolerate other religions. i just don't feel that they should be pushed on me.

Comment

Here is the thing, when training a MA, a fighting MA, you must instill soem sense of responsibility, unfortunatly for some, they equate that with religion and spirituality instead of common sense.

Yes, there were warrior monks, all over the world as a matter of fact.

But they were the exception, not the rule.

MA were created for self preservection, for military use, for fighting.

The fact that some asswipes did MA and were monks means shit.

The fact that some people decided to mix religion/spiritualiy with MA has NOTHING to do with the reason MA were created.

Like I have always said, there is NOTHING spiritual about kicking someone in the groin.

Comment

Originally posted by shadowcat
        i am atheist and i can tolerate other religions. i just don't feel that they should be pushed on me.
        I concur. As a Christian, I don't think it should be pushed on you (or anyone) either.

I guess for me, me being a Christian and a martial artist really just translates into three things: 1) Train hard as hell, 2) If anyone attacks my family/friends in an unprovoked manner; hurt them. 3) Send a simple thanks to God for not getting my @$$ kicked. I just think Biblical Christianity is something very personal. Yeah, there's a communal part, but I don't think that should translate into "Christian Martial Arts".

Anyways thats my two cents. If I just repeated myself, My bad.

BTW, I need some of you guys (fighters) to advise me on something. Should I start a new thread or can I ask it here? (Yeah I'm new here)

Comment

Originally posted by (Unconfirmed)
          3) Send a simple thanks to God for not getting my @$$ kicked.
          I dont understand this. Presumably you wouldnt blame your god if you got your arse kicked, so why thank him if you don't?

Originally posted by Stickx
          It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
          Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Comment

Originally posted by Jekyll
            I dont understand this. Presumably you wouldnt blame your god if you got your arse kicked, so why thank him if you don't?
            Because God can never steer you wrong, even if he tells you to kill members of the family.
            DIDN'T YOU KNOW?! The Chinese know everything! And they knew it 4,000 years before YOU did!

"Yes. Yes I am. I'm clearly illiterate and dictating this post to a squadron of several dozen trained jumping beans I've coearced into living on my keyboard, each named after a letter or character, which bounce up and down as I call their names." -JohnnyCache

Comment

Originally posted by Jekyll
              I guess I attribute that to "be thankful in everything" part of my faith. Not saying I'd be like "Thanks God for letting me get owned" if I lose. If I lose I'd just try to see why it happened and be thankful for the learning experience.

Hope that kind of make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Kistrael
                Because God can never steer you wrong, even if he tells you to kill members of the family.

:evil4:

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                X