New Hapkido style knife techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Hapkido style knife techniques

Brand new KOMA SEAPAC Hapkido knife technology on the web.

Style taught to US military personnel.

sample brilliant top notch knife defense
    first knife defense

second knife defense

Further info refer to KOMA SEAPAC website =
    main site

Comments ranged from
    Absolute Brilliance :eusa_ange
    to
    This guy gets completely destroyed. What do you all think he could have done differently? :5opera:

This guy gets completely destroyed. What do you all think he could have done differently?
    Kept his hands up!

Comment

Originally posted by mmabuster
      first knife defense
      I'm no expert by a long shot but I personally feel after watching the first clip that this guy would get me killed if I used that technique! :XXpuke:

Thanks, but no thanks, I'm sticking to what Ray Floro teaches me.
      "All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time"
      - Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

This forum is getting downright retarded.
      - Osiris

Comment

Good golly miss molly. In the first defense, relying that the two inital stikes stun the guy enough, he crosses in front of a knife he has no control over. And he crosses across the front the long way, grabbing with the far arm, only after he past.

That's all no good.

- Matt
        Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
        Kali, & what ever works
        Renaissance Martial Arts
        Rochester, NY

Comment

wow.

Suckage.

Comment

I don't understand what stops the defender getting stabbed as he twirls around with his back to the knife-wielder in the first clip
            !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Comment

Originally posted by Cullion
              I don't understand what stops the defender getting stabbed as he twirls around with his back to the knife-wielder in the first clip
              Ah grass hopper, I see you are missing the big picture here.

As with all good knife defence, the basis is that the knife wielder is asleep and/or a very slow moving zombie. All the above criticism miss out this basic principle.

Another sound principle is that Hapkido sucks. I say this with out ever taking a class or even meeting anyone who has ever done Hapkido, but its true anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by liokault
                Another sound principle is that Hapkido sucks. I say this with out ever taking a class or even meeting anyone who has ever done Hapkido, but its true anyway!
                Much to my dismay, that does seem to be true, by and large. When I learned Hapkido, we trained strikes, grappling, throws and locks. We did moderate striking sparring, and full on rondori (throwing) and grappling (thus my move into BJJ when I stopped Hapkido -- grappling's the most fun). I figured out which stuff didn't work for me because we sparred.*

But every so offten we'd get someone coming in who'd trained "Hapkido" somewhere else, and that person would do glorified TKD with some crappy throws. Sad.

*The zombie principle is a notion we always had to disabuse new people of (including me, when I started). The typical scene is opponent does very basic grab, newbie rockets out of it with fast technique. Opponent does grab again, fast, taking newbie down. That's how I learned not to rely on zombies, and that slow is just one step in training.

Comment

Any time that you are standing with your body 6 inches from an opponent's cocked knife, it is a bad thing. The first technique was absolutely terrible. It would be certain death agains an experienced knife fighter. It would be certain death against a knife weilding 10 year old who had even a little common sense.

Technique number two is slightly better, but the application is terrible. A slash/check defense, with a thrusting counter is fine if it is done correctly.

The problem is that this guy is assuming that his opponent will just stand there and get thrusted in the face. The opponent acually has his hand up guarding his face, and could possibly check the knife, even if it cut his hand in the process. This is where the trouble would start.

Since the defender steps in so deep, and is standing so upright, his belly is right next to the outstretched attacker's thrust. He does not have control of his opponent's knife. If the attacker were to slash out of that initial attack, he would gut the defender. If the attacker didn't check off the thrusting counter, it could be a double kill. If he manages to check off the defender's thrush counter, and slashes out of his initial thrusting attack, he'd win.

If you are within reach of a knife, you should control it. Check it down, press it away from you. Or, get the hell away from it so that you have distance to react to it. You just can't think that your offense will be unstoppable. Your opponent may be thinking the same thing, and you both end up with holes in you.

Comment

When I did Hapkido, there was no weapons defense, granted I didn't do it that long.

My basic philosophy on knife defense is this:
                    1) Control the knife as soon as you can
                    2) End up with the knife and him on the ground, anything I do to reach that point that doesn't get me stabbed too badly is OK.

Knife defense 1 does not meet my criteria. And Number 2 is a WTF? in my book, I think I saw a pathetic attempt at a kali style defense against the stab, minus the foot work that makes that defense work, and then some limp wristed BS eye strike that would probably bounce the knife out of the guys hand once it struck the eye socket and before he made contact with the eyes.

-edit: there was one I did in Hapkido. It was good. These suck, carry on-
                    Last edited by Peter H.; 7/26/2005 12:41pm, .
                    "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
                    -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
                    -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
                    -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
                    -Don Gwinn

Comment

Basic rules of knife defense:

1. Get off the weapon line
                      2. Control the weapon so it can't renter combat (typically by controlling the elbow and NOT the wist/hand)
                      3. Punish the core of the body as quickly and decisively as possible
                      4. Disarm if necessary

Understand that the best disarms come as a byproduct of striking/damage and not any fancy handwork/weapon manipulation.

- Matt
                      Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
                      Kali, & what ever works
                      Renaissance Martial Arts
                      Rochester, NY

Comment

Originally posted by Ryno
                        The first technique was absolutely terrible. It would be certain death agains an experienced knife fighter. .

Care to give us a few examples of moves that you can use bare hand against an experianced knife fighter, who has a knife, that you confidantly feel do not end up with you dead, when applied in a real situation?

Comment

That first defence just seems so half assed. It's like they're not even trying...

Comment

The first attempt was super crap
                            You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
                            FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
                            Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
                            Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Comment

Absolute crap

Originally posted by mmabuster
                              Brand new KOMA SEAPAC Hapkido knife technology on the web.

Style taught to US military personnel.

first knife defense

second knife defense

Further info refer to KOMA SEAPAC website =
                              main site

Comments ranged from
                              Absolute Brilliance :eusa_ange
                              to
                              This guy gets completely destroyed. What do you all think he could have done differently? :5opera:

That is awful worse than that it's dangerous. I'm dumbfounded by the how dangerous this is to the practicioner, that they videoed it and that they are blackbelts :flipando:

If you hit some one they will cover and turn away. Hitting the guy will feed the knife right into your gut and to help that you'll cross his centerline TOWARDS the weapon with three or more akward steps.

That is the most dangerous "knive defense" I've ever seen and worthless. Were those two actually blackbelts? If they were that school needs closed and they need striped of rank.

-Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X