New Hapkido style knife techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by liokault
    Care to give us a few examples of moves that you can use bare hand against an experianced knife fighter, who has a knife, that you confidantly feel do not end up with you dead, when applied in a real situation?
    Quit being a smartass. If you'd note my next sentence "It would be certain death against a knife weilding 10 year old who had even a little common sense.", it was all an attempt at setting up some humor.

Going unarmed against a good knife fighter, you are in a very bad situation. You absolutely will get cut. But by using good technique, you will have a better chance at survival. These are NOT good technique.

Sure, I could show some stuff that would give you a better chance than these bozos. A hell of a lot better chance. But if the attacker is determined, there's a good chance you may still get killed, even if you manage to take him out. That's just the problem with blood loss. Run, unless you have no other option.

Shit just happens too quickly with knives for there to be any guarantees.
    Last edited by Ryno; 7/26/2005 12:34pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by Ryno
      Any time that you are standing with your body 6 inches from an opponent's cocked knife, it is a bad thing. The first technique was absolutely terrible. It would be certain death agains an experienced knife fighter. It would be certain death against a knife weilding 10 year old who had even a little common sense.

Technique number two is slightly better, but the application is terrible. A slash/check defense, with a thrusting counter is fine if it is done correctly.

The problem is that this guy is assuming that his opponent will just stand there and get thrusted in the face. The opponent acually has his hand up guarding his face, and could possibly check the knife, even if it cut his hand in the process. This is where the trouble would start.

Since the defender steps in so deep, and is standing so upright, his belly is right next to the outstretched attacker's thrust. He does not have control of his opponent's knife. If the attacker were to slash out of that initial attack, he would gut the defender. If the attacker didn't check off the thrusting counter, it could be a double kill. If he manages to check off the defender's thrush counter, and slashes out of his initial thrusting attack, he'd win.

If you are within reach of a knife, you should control it. Check it down, press it away from you. Or, get the hell away from it so that you have distance to react to it. You just can't think that your offense will be unstoppable. Your opponent may be thinking the same thing, and you both end up with holes in you.

Yeah the second technique was much better. There was actual technique there. The distance was off. No one stabs that far away, but that's common in drilling. The instructor should have been vigilant of distance (they are BB's after all)

Ryno I see you're a FMA type too. Did that first vid make you puke too? lol It was like they train with :phil:

If you want to learn Knife/impacting defense and offense find a good FMA school. If you want to grapple find a good BJJ school etc etc This day and age you have to cross train. FMA is my main bag, but I've done a bit of BJJ and grappling, Muay Thai and Western Boxing/Pugilism. Hopefully these people learn...
      Last edited by FMA_Brian; 7/26/2005 12:38pm, . Reason: can't spell to save my ass

Comment

pretty crazy what people do and call hapkido these days...

Comment

I think they should call it the "lackidasical knife defense".
          Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

Comment

How to Get Stabbed 101

PL

Comment

not in my dojang.....
              You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
              FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
              Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
              Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Comment

why ?

are u all serious about your comments ? :new_uklia

constructive criticism please.
                state the why & how can be improved :idea1:

is this common for most HapkiDo style ???
                if only for KOMA SEAPAC Hapkido style, how come recognise by 2 prestigious Korea Hapkido body in Korea ?

constructive criticism is encouraged.
                clips has to have something of value.
                the person showing and teaching technique is an 8th dan kwanjangNim.

Julian S. Lim website shows
                8th dan Hapkido (by both KHF and KKA)
                8th dan TaeKwonDo in June30, 2005
                7th dan TaeKwonDo in Dec20,2004
                BEST grandmaster of Song Moo Kwan -on the certificate
                Kwan Jang Nim of HapKiDo

biodata =

Korea TaeKwonDo ChungDoKwan (KukkiWon / WTF)
                Korea HapKiDo Song or SungMooKwan (HKD SMK*) - the widely accepted birth Kwan of modern HapKiDo
                *HKD SMK is a recognised and registered Kwan of both the DaeHan HapKiDo Hyup Hae and the DaeHan KiDoHae.

Julian S. Lim is an 8th Dan by the Korea TaeKwonDo ChungDoKwan (TKD CDK). Certificate number #8-218 was issued on June 30, 2005 . This was approved by Lim's TKD Master, Grand Master (GM) Park, Hae-Man, and endorsed by GM Uhm, Woon-Kyu who is the President of both TKD CDK and the KukKiWon (WTF HQ).

the KukKiWon, HQ of the World TaeKwonDo Federation, has issued its 7th Dan to Julian S. Lim; Dan number is 05033225, dated 20 December 2004. The rank upgrade was approved by GM PARK Hae-Man, Julian's TKD Master.

The Dan certificate is the first of the new series of KKW papers that bear the signature of its new President, UHM, Woon-Kyu. Uhm is also the head of Korea ChungDoKwan, TKD's oldest registered Gym system, of which Julian is also a senior member (7th Dan). This is Julian's mother style of TKD since he started training in 1970.

the DaeHan KiDo Hae (Korea KiDo Association) and the DaeHan HapKiDo Hyup Hae (Korea HapKiDo Federation) control over 80% of all HapKiDo in Korea.

Comment

questions ?

those who give constructive feedback
                  thanks to

Senshi=how ray floro will do different ?

Matt bernius=why you say 2 strikes will not work ? is it not wan yi yi chuan strikes powerful? Surely your strikes can impact to follow up with such technique ?

Cullion=how can the defender get stab in back when joint locks and pain is executed ? explain ?

Ryno says Since the defender steps in so deep, and is standing so upright, his belly is right next to the outstretched attacker's thrust
                  the Hapkido guy could move waist prevent thrusting be used. Surely attacker cannot thrust cut belly ? no ?

Peter H. says Control the knife as soon as you can.
                  so for Technique 1, u jump straight into grabbing his knife hand ?

FMA_Brian have question
                  yes they look like black belts ranging from 1st dan to 8th dan. see techniques photo on website having 2nd, 3rd dan also.

Any Hapkidoka to comment, please share views ?
                  Be good to hear Hapkidoka from other schools share views as most feedback not from Hapkidoka ?
                  Last edited by mmabuster; 7/26/2005 7:36pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by mmabuster
                    are u all serious about your comments ? :new_uklia

constructive criticism please.
                    state the why & how can be improved :idea1:

is this common for most HapkiDo style ???
                    if only for KOMA SEAPAC Hapkido style, how come recognise by 2 prestigious Korea Hapkido body in Korea ?

constructive criticism is encouraged.
                    clips has to have something of value.
                    the person showing and teaching technique is an 8th dan kwanjangNim.

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

the DaeHan KiDo Hae (Korea KiDo Association) and the DaeHan HapKiDo Hyup Hae (Korea HapKiDo Federation) control over 80% of all HapKiDo in Korea.
                    I am sorry maybe I dont understand . Whats your point ? Are you saying because Hapkido is Hapkido and is given a thumbs up by Hapkido associations and that becouse some Koreans said Hapkido is cool and legit and that becouse These guys spent YEARS training that the knife defenses have to be usefull ? well your wrong ....

I was happy when Hapkido stayed on the sidelines and let other styles make asses out of themselves with their videos of one step sparing , self defense , weapon disarms , and multiple attackers ... but NO here it is ....

Yes we do stupid drills like the first video in my classes . But then my instructor makes a point to spend 15-20 minutes cutting stabbing and slashing us ( wooden knives and training blades ) to show that they dont work 80 % of the time and to give us time to figure out what does work . ( I have never seen the first technique though ...)

and jesus christ above .... dont step in front of a knife and spin placing your groin . chest . stomach , inner thighs and throat directly in line with the weapon, even after you bitch slap them on the front of the face and fondle their testicles ....
                    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
                    BILL HICKS,
                    1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
                    ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

backfistmonkey

if you are a Hapkidoka please state your school or style

sme applies

Comment

I train at a back woods Kentucky TKD McDojang that also teaches Hapkido . So I assure you the lineage is suspect if not bunk I mean come on its Hapkido :qright4: . We seem to be less Ji and more Choi * shrugs * . My instructor laughed at me when I asked about our lineage and showed me his certs framed on the wall , but for the life of me .. I dont seem to CARE about what it said beside Hapkido . I knew I wasnt getting 1st generation quality why the hell bother .I train hard and I have an instructor who appears to know a thing or two :qleft1: .

But I can assure you that having to tilt your hips back to keep from running your groin into a blade is not a good thing in a knife defense drill where everything is smooth as glass .

* kisses *
                        I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
                        BILL HICKS,
                        1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
                        ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

I called My Instructor and he told me to tell you guys to stop giving away the Anti-FMA secrets ...

* shrugs *
                          BILL HICKS,
                          1961-1994

---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Originally posted by mmabuster
                            Senshi=how ray floro will do different ?
                            How about putting your 10 cents forward first! You are asking a lot but not giving us your feedback of what you think of the techniques etc etc.

:icescream
                            "All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time"
                            - Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

This forum is getting downright retarded.
                            - Osiris

Comment

Okay- hapkido does not suck
                              Those hapkido schmoes do.

Don't judge an art or all it's practitioners by the dipshits that rise to the surface.

Comment

Defense 1 - So what happens if the guy tries to stab you? This would only work against a guy standing next to you who just happens to be holding a knife, when all of a sudden you think "I don't like this guy's t-shirt. I should crack him in the nose and nuts, and then throw him to the ground by his knife-hand!"

Defense 2 - Did he cut his hand with the knife? Why even move in after that? Keep cutting the bastard's knife arm and evading the strike.

Here's a good knife defense -- try not to let someone with a knife get near you, and if you must, find a knife/weapon of your own. Otherwise, employ the "run away" defense, if at all possible. Unarmed defense against a knife is possible, but not recommended. Against a trained knife fighter, it's pretty much suicide.
                                --
                                L.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X