Bad Practices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Practices

I used to go to this TSD school; even though it started out to be a good, it eventually started slipping into being a mcdojang that only taught traditional methods and katas. Either way, there were many things about the school that made it difficult to work there. Here are some of them:
    1. The teacher rarely actually taught class. She spent more time operating the front desk. This meant that the most senior student, no matter how capable or what his/her age was, would teach class( or atleast warmups). This happened more consistantly as the years went on.
    2. The teacher got pregnant twice in my entire 5 year stay at TSD. This caused her to miss even more class.
    3. When her boys were born, she often didn't have any babysitter to take care of them at home, so that meant that they were let loose to run around class. They really caused us to freeze in our pathes some times when training or sparring. The teacher, many times, had to leave and take the children home, meaning more class is missed.
    4. Now, sometimes when she actually taught the class, she taught us good, effective techniques and methods. However, most of the time she came out just to teach katas. Now that I think of it, she participated in class a little more than I described. Jeez, even a few forms are to much.
    5. She had this annoying tendency to push her martial arts beliefs on us. Of course, this is not abnormal and probably should be done. However, when the beliefs are: " Don't judge an art by it's one-steps, judge it by it's forms". " Get your kicks high." " Don't grab his leg while he is kicking( high-kicking by the way), grabbing is not a part of sparring." " Although Japanese arts have fast hand techniques, they would not expect a head kick in a tournament." , we aren't really learning anything useful.
    6. The teacher and other heads of the TKD/TSD federation organized a point sparring tournament each year. I went to one, and what I found out is that first you have to wait until everyone gets to the tournament, then you have to wait until everything is assembled, and then you have to wait until your weight class is ready. The entire time before I actually fought was about 3-5 hours and I didn't even stay for trophies. The teacher yelled at me for not going to new tournaments.
    7. The school consistantly got new students and those students consistantly quit.
    8. The school was consistantly underfunded. I have no idea where my fund raising profits( to buy mirrors for the school) went to. We never got new mirrors. A week after I quit, the school moved back to rent it's old location for a few hours a week.
    9. Point touch sparring with gloves and sometimes pads.
    10. When I became senior, I had to teach class often, meaning not alot of learning for me. And what I did learn was traditionalistic crap.
    11. Another annoying tendency that a senior student said: " You have to be in a good position when being knocked down so you can be ready to ground-fight." We never actually learned how to ground fight.
    12. Being made to learn the arts history and how to speak Korean.
    13. Spending alot of time practicing techniques, and often not learning how to apply them.
    14. I've said it before and I will say it again: So much emphasis on forms!

That's all I can remember now. We sometimes had so many techniques thrown at us that we quite easily forget.

With Love,
    Spondo

You had a female teacher !!
    HAHAHAHAHAH !!!!

Comment

She was kinda fat even when not pregnant, but she knew how to fight. She was not that proflic of a teacher, though.

Comment

Originally posted by BatRonin
        You had a female teacher !!
        HAHAHAHAHAH !!!!
        Hey, some fat chicks can fight. Wasn't there a video posted on this site --- some big, fat-ass black woman laying a smack down on some skinny guy?

Frikkin' hilairious. Big mamma had some MOVES, too! And skinny guy just kept eating fists and pavement..... =)

-daGorilla

Comment

Originally posted by Savatuer
          6. The teacher and other heads of the TKD/TSD federation organized a point sparring tournament each year. I went to one, and what I found out is that first you have to wait until everyone gets to the tournament, then you have to wait until everything is assembled, and then you have to wait until your weight class is ready. The entire time before I actually fought was about 3-5 hours and I didn't even stay for trophies. The teacher yelled at me for not going to new tournaments.
          To be fair, that sounds a lot like a lot of the Judo tournaments I've been to.

Comment

Most tournaments I ever went to went like this. It's worse when you're in a black belt division, because you always go LAST. I went to a tourney once a long time ago -- arrived in south seattle (about 45 minutes from my house) at about 8 am... my first event didn't happen until almost 5pm. over eight hours of waiting for about ten minutes of competition.... and that was forms. I didn't bother to stay for fighting. I had better things to do... which was just about anything at that point.

That, and a couple of similar experiences later on, pretty much killed competition for me. There's better things to do with my saturdays/sundays.

-daGorilla

Comment

Yes, I do know that alot of tournaments are like this. What makes it worse is that it was point touch. Why make a tournament out of point touch? I might go to a full-contact tournament, but waiting 5 hours to slap someones chest just seems stupid.

Comment

" Although Japanese arts have fast hand techniques, they would not expect a head kick in a tournament." , we aren't really learning anything useful.
                What they really wouldn't expect is the Spanish Inquisition. In fact, no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Comment

[QUOTE=Savatuer] " Although Japanese arts have fast hand techniques, they would not expect a head kick in a tournament." .../QUOTE]

This is true, when was th elast time you saw a kick to the head in a Japanese MA ?
                  NEVER.
                  Its unheard off !!

:XXspermy:

Comment

Japanese MA don't have hand techniques either. You just kiai loud enough to make their head explode.

Comment

That may be true for Japanese MA, BatRonin, but what is the point have high kicking when low kicking is faster? If you are kicking that high, then couldn't the Japnese artist just come in a punch because he sees you raise your leg above his waist.

Comment

That may be true for Japanese MA, BatRonin, but what is the point have high kicking when low kicking is faster? If you are kicking that high, then couldn't the Japnese artist just come in a punch because he sees you raise your leg above his waist.
                        I was being sarcastic.

Look at a kyokushin tournament, you see more kicking KO's than at a TKD one !

Comment

Kyokushin isn't a japanese MA, it's a blend of Chinese and Okinawan MA done in japanese costume, invented by a Korean.

You can't touch me, I'm wearing my flame-proof troll costume.

Comment

Originally posted by Cullion
                            Kyokushin isn't a japanese MA, it's a blend of Chinese and Okinawan MA done in japanese costume, invented by a Korean.

You can't touch me, I'm wearing my flame-proof troll costume.
                            You forgot the Thai connection and the bull abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by BatRonin
                              I was being sarcastic.

Look at a kyokushin tournament, you see more kicking KO's than at a TKD one !

C'mon, even though BatRonin blows at Internet Sarcasm, even I could tell he was being sarcastic....

-daGorilla =D

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X