Fight Choreography!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fight Choreography!

This is why I love MA boards... you can get like twenty dozen ideas when you've got artist's block from people who generally know what the hell they're talking about. Yes, that's what I'm mainly here for.

Okay... the character in question is Jon Caleb Scarr, 27 years old, professional, smart, hard-working--and employed by a government organization as a "Supernatural Investigator." Think FBI agent, but he goes after vampires, werewolves, demons, and other lovely uber-natural phenomena.

A few super powers to speak of, but only two that really matter for this fight. One, his strength, which is well above human ability (punch through a concrete wall with minimal effort, leave a sizable dent in a steel bar, etc), and the other: photographic reflexes that allow him to mimic any physical action (like a MA style) with just a little practice.

Now... the fight.

10th degree. Yeah, I said 10th degree. White belt, o'course. This long and I haven't been promoted once? I must really suck.

The first issue deals with a group of werewolves in the Pacific Northwest doing a whole lotta money's worth in property damage and loss of life. Small towns are getting laid to waste, tons of people dying, cops can't do shit, and they can't call in the army, 'cause they're trying to keep this SOMEWHAT under wraps.

The last fight scene, between Jon and the head wolf I have taken care of. It's the fight with Jon and his three underlings.

Garou stand around 12 feet tall. They can take any punches or kicks Jon can dish out, and are too smart to let him use any aikido or other counter-based technique, so he has to go to grappling and groundfighting to deal with them. Now... how can one guy fight against three larger opponents, when groundfighting seems to be strictly one-on-one?

10th degree. Yeah, I said 10th degree. White belt, o'course. This long and I haven't been promoted once? I must really suck.

Comment

well, standup fighting is one on one too (irl), but anyway:

How about having him just using throws mainly, some slams etc - he could use ground and pound style fighting, and be up again to fight the next wolf. He could be constantly running about taking them down, going for double legs etc, the kicking them when they're down, using stomps and soccer kicks, if he ever gets the chance. Also, he could use submissions such as armbars etc, breaking their arms instantly (with his super-human strength.) The last wolf he fights he could go for a rear naked choked or something similar.

You could throw in a few flying arms bars too. How about having him go to a MT clinch, with a few knees, disorientatting them by pulling them around by the neck (MT style) then kneeing them some more, with more knees to the face.

It would be fast, he'd be consatnyl moving about attmepting all types of grappling moves, with and without striking...He could even get some rear naked chokes from standing breaking their necks etc...

You must have seen street fighter the mobie (the real/proper Anime one, which spawned a SF Alpha series) : "Cammi" does a pretty good grappling/wrestling hold on the gover/president, before all the body guards come tumbling down on her. You could have this happen OR have him getting one of them in this move, then counting them with more grappling as they come to help their friend (who;s in a fairly awquard position, kind of immobilized on the ground/not quite paralyized though.)
      how's that?

Edited by - Blade Windu on March 13 2003 04:56:34
      "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Comment

THere are plenty of takedowns that leave you standing, which also leave you in a good position to break or dislocate limbs.
        Much as I hate to say it, look at some steven segall films for inspiration.
        Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Comment

"Much as I hate to say it, look at some steven segall films for inspiration."

Actually, that's the best place for cartoon fighting since Popeye.
          However MA fight choreography is simple, and all the same-- just have the "hero" take on a whole army of about 80 guys, but they all take a number and stand in line.

Comment

How about this for inspiration: a simple citizen with no connection to government?
            The problem with Hollywood is they're liberals who worship Big Brother; the hero is always a government superman and never Joe Citizen because the producers have contempt for basic principles of liberty.

Comment

well not always, but Hollywood still producer some of the/THE best movies in the world.

How about Unbreakable? He was a "Joe Citizen" (exactly that), in fact I think that's possible the best example.

Also there's been movies liek The Crow, Spawn etc...
              "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Comment

Well, wolves have big hangy mouths. He could rip off a wolf-lip.

He could pick up a log, and whack 'em with it.

If these wolf dudes are 12 ft tall, your hero would have to do take downs that are focused on the legs, such as grabbing the achilles and shouldering into the knee, etc.

Comment

Okay, wolves, when they attack, go for the throat (in a dominance battle) or the hamstrings (against prey).

May I suggest some ankle locks and chokes? Armbarring a lupine-jointed creature's gonna be pointless and I actually think going to the ground is bad (that's where they fight best).

Here's another scenario: straight-blast (wing chun chain-punching done dynamically, running towards the opponent) to clinch. Get the long muzzle over the shoulder (now they can't bite), thumb the eyes (very effective -- something you should actually do against an attacking dog), knees and elbows, slip to the back and take the choke.

No canine should be able to turn its head to bite someone behind it. I can hold my German Shepherd at bay with one hand on his head. I play fight (light slaps from me, teeth to skin but not biting from him) with him all the time to develop speed and timing, so I've actually thought about this topic.

Though, I must admit, I find your premise a little human-centric ... who says werewolves have to be evil? If I could be a wolf, I wouldn't waste my time killing humans.

(board breaks with a kick)
                  "Is that it? I feel like I should bow, or have honor or something."
                  -- Buffy the Vampire Slayer, "Once More, With Feeling"
                  Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Comment

how about the hero gets torn to shreds?
                    3 on 1 isn't really fair.....unless, yes Steven Seagullpoop

--
                    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
                    The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed later.
                    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

Thanks for all the help, and here's some answers.

As for what JKD Chick said, not all werewolves/vampires/other supernatural folk are evil in the story, it's just that there are those select few who decide to be criminals or go against what the majority (humans) have set.

As for the government thing, Jon Scarr doesn't like his job (he's an average joe who had these superpowers thrown at him by GOD, of all people, 'cause he ain't a bad guy), but he does it as best as he can. It really hurts him when he has to pound people into next week (or kill them if necessary), but he'll do what has to be done. As for working in the government, I never liked X-Files, but I've always wanted to mix horror, martial arts, and government conspiracies. Watch that already have been done.

As for the three-on-one thing--c'mon, the guy's superhuman! His speed, strength, stamina, and pain tolerance are pretty high above normal (in short, total bullshit unrealistic :D) so I like to stretch a character's brawn and brain.

Good point on going to the ground, by the way, Chick.

Comment

Oh, and Dan--as for bad guys taking a number and standing in line? Not in my books. I've had the pure misfortune of being jumped by several people at once, and while I was able to knock two or three of them away and RUN LIKE HELL, that's really all I could do, and probably what most people would do in a situation like that.

Most of us know that groups don't take turns to attack somebody--they all come in at once. THAT's what I want to get in one-against-many fights. And the hero is still gonna win. By some, well... some brilliant tactic. Brains AND brawn, baby!

Comment

Have him whip out a boom box and blast some rock song asloud as possiable. Most animals have good hearing and Loud music can bother the fuck out of the little buggers. Or even funnier he gets a hold of one of those dog thingies that mail mean carry around that hurts the dogs ears. So he does it to them and then kicks their skulls in.

"A California man has been taken to court for stalking Anna Nicole Smith. The man has been charged with invasion of privacy, illegal trespassing, and having really bad taste."-Conan

Comment

"As for the three-on-one thing--c'mon, the guy's superhuman! His speed, strength, stamina, and pain tolerance are pretty high above normal (in short, total bullshit unrealistic :D) so I like to stretch a character's brawn and brain."

have him teleport!

"Most of us know that groups don't take turns to attack somebody--they all come in at once. THAT's what I want to get in one-against-many fights. And the hero is still gonna win."
                            trip throw an opponent into another

--
                            Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
                            The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed later.
                            Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

I don't wanna show him teleporting 'til issue 3 or 4... >_>

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X