combative videos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

combative videos

Just wondered what you all thought of the videos popping up like krav maga, defendo, or american combato. I was thinking of buying a combat series of videos but wasn't sure what would be difren't and what would be same old same old. Anyone ever took a look at any of these?
    ANyone like any of them? Any of them legit trainers using video to show people a simpler style or just mcdojo training on a video?

thanks

don't buy, go do some actual training if you don't already, haven't seen any of them, but I wouldn't really waste your time, heard nostly bad things about KM etc...
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Comment

Sharp Phil has reviewed a lot of these videos. I can't remember the address of his website though.
      Anyone care to remind me?
      Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Comment

Mostly bad things about Krav Maga? Wow. I've got a book on it, and use it for drawing reference--most of that stuff looks pretty brutal, but books is books. Didn't J-Lo do watered-down movie Krav Maga in "Enough?"

10th degree. Yeah, I said 10th degree. White belt, o'course. This long and I haven't been promoted once? I must really suck.

Comment

www.philelmore.com

~
          delirious

Comment

yeah, well some of it seems like SUbmission fighting, so it;s just a kind of rip of MMA, some of it is supposedly just light contact sparring with a few concepts thrown in.

Overall it;s really just MMA or JKD really, call whatever you want what ever you want, as long as the moves are identically (or practically) it doesn't matter.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Comment

If you want good intructionals, just get one from a renound(sp) MMA practitioner - you know like Bas Rutten, Brazillian Top Team, Frank Shamrock etc etc...

Comment

ask about them at MMA.tv or some where similar...

Comment

Again I'm defending Krav Maga... Maybe I should write an article...

It seems to me that most of the bashing it recieves stems from basic misunderstanding. Krav Maga consists mainly of two parts. It has a "self defence" part and a "fighting" part.

As Blade rightly noted, the fighting aspect of it does look a hell of a lot like submission fighting, though it empasizes the sprawl-and-brawl approach as opposed to ground-and-pond usually that you usually see in most submission places. In a good Krav Maga school, during fight classes (which are separate) you will find nice hard contact, standup and grappling, and a somewhat MT + ground defense style fighting.

The self defense part is a separate story. The self defense training features a number of different frills (that should be preformed with full resistance) that train you to recognize threats and react to them agressively. There's a number of techniques for getting out of chokes, headlocks, bearhugs, chokes with a pull into a head-butt, chokes with a push against the wall, etc. The beauty of the Krav self defense techniques, is that they are incredibly intuitive. They really are. You probably know that just about every art-style-whatever will have a technique for getting out of say, a headlock. The thing is that the Krav Maga technique takes just one practice session to really learn to the point that it actually ***works*** against someone bigger and stronger than you are. I found that in some cases the techniques I knew and used in real life were taught in Krav Maga, but in improved versions. These techniques are then learned separately, and then mixed up so that every student knows how to distingusish attacks and react appropriately.
                  I've already described a typical self defence drill in another thread in greated detail, but basicaly, they feature a lot of standing with your eyes closed/back turned to the attacker, and responding to the initial attack after it happened. Krav Maga training hurts like hell, and so far, I am liking it a lot. It is also a very heavy workout. When I started coming to class, I was under the impression that I was in a good shape :) I quickly learned that that was not the case.
                  Either way, hope this clears it up.
                  I know that there's probably some pretty crappy Krav places out there. But then again, there's some pretty crappy anything places out there. It does not mean that the entire style sucks. IMHO, it doesn't.
                  You say what about my rice?

Comment

Back to the point.

I would avoid training by videos like the plague unless you really have no access whatsoever to a descent instructor.

If you train over video, you are ***guaranteed*** to be taching youself some bad habits. There's really no substitute to having a knowledgeble teacher whatch over you tell you what you're doing wrong.

I would go to a bixing, wrestling, judo, or anything else short of a true McDojo before I started training by video. Even in a McDojo, you will probably find an instructor or two who will be willing to help you out when they see that you're actually interested in learning something real.

Comment

HAPKO3, Krav is getting a bad rep because of the rapid franchisement of it to TKD and Tae Bo/Aerobic Kickboxing schools. People are being sold Krav Maga teaching certs. for attending one day seminars. Maybe you have a very dedicated and talented teacher, but that won't be most people's experience with Krav Maga.

Comment

Wow, I really cant type in the mornings (not that I ever can)

If you can't find a dojo, look for an ex-fighter, or an ex-marine or something to teach you to fight. Thre's a number of people out there who would gladly take it as a diversion from the tedium of day to day life.

I really think that just about anything is better than tapes.

Comment

Fighty - from what I know of the Krav Maga head organization, that is simply not the case. To teach basic Krav Maga, you have to pass through a three phased, three week, 210 hour course. And you have to already be an instructor in a different art or a "blackbelt" in Krav Maga. This lets you teach ***the basics***. To teach more advanced shit, you have to do more training.

I'm sure that there's a number of bad apples out there, but where I live (San Diego) there's three places offering Krav Maga. I have looked into all three of them and picked the one I liked the most, but they are all pretty good. A hell of a lot better than most things out here...

Comment

HAPKO3, I'm glad you have a good school. I have nothing against Krav Maga as a fighting art, but there are a few different Krav orgs out there, and I know this rapid proliferation to be a big problem. Krav Maga itself is pretty cool. Krav Maga taught by an Aerobics instructor after minimal training sucks bad.

Comment

"If you want good intructionals, just get one from a renound(sp) MMA practitioner - you know like Bas Rutten, Brazillian Top Team, Frank Shamrock etc etc..."

and everyone has the time and money for that

--
                              Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
                              The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed later.
                              Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X