Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the biggest problem with YOUR style?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the biggest problem with YOUR style?

Since it's so easy to bash someone else's style, let's do something a little bit different and bash our own. I know a lot of us here crosstrain to fill in the holes in our styles, but even still, there's gonna be problems. So what would you change about your art(s) to turn them into SUPER NINJA DEATH ART? As usual, I'll kick things off with my style, Isshin-Ryu karate.

(1)Way too many McDojos. Even AJ Advincula, about as "real" an Isshin-Ryu master you'll find in the states, admits that Isshin-Ryu has a disproportionate number of 10th Dans running around. This is pretty funny, considering Isshin-Ryu founder Tatsuo Shimabuku never promoted anyone past 8th Dan.

(2)Too classical. Mainly, get rid of chambered punches and put more emphasis on sparring. I don't mind the bowing or the gis. Those are pretty much irrelevant to fighting.
    [EDIT]

(3) Duh. Left out lack of groundfighting. Nice takedowns, though.

Edited by - boyd on March 12 2003 19:29:06
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

GOod Idea for a topic! How long did it take you to make that flow chart? Well my style Hwa Rang Do has got alot of techniques to it. However there is a simplier version called Tae Soo Do and it has alot of stuff taken out of it. We do alot of modern stuff in it, but we don't sparr that often. However if you sparr in your own free time that more than makes up for it.

Comment

I get hit too much when I spar my instructor.

Actually, I'd say: without BJJ, it's incredibly weak on the ground.

Easy to get started but hard to get good.

(board breaks with a kick)
      "Is that it? I feel like I should bow, or have honor or something."
      -- Buffy the Vampire Slayer, "Once More, With Feeling"
      Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Comment

Mainly that we study a wide range (boxing, Thai, submission wrestling, body balancing, forms etc) that it is very hard to cover anything in depth and so it takes a large amount of time to become proficient in one particular aspect.

--------
        Make friends with them until they beg for mercy.
        --------
        The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
        - Pizdoff

Comment

Harakure Ryu is weak in kick (my instructor added Muay Thai style kick to it to full in space, so it is pretty natural to me). One of most serious problem with it is, it have very few throws and very basic take down.

Wrestling- Poor stand up, no strikes or kicks, and no chokes.

I don't know anything about Bujinkan yet, so I can't really say anything about their weakness.

So far, closest to perfect style I have saw is Silat. Shoot Wrestling isn't too bad either.

Just throw rock at it and it will go away.

"I would rather admit I am a lousy student than say I am the best, because once you think you are the best, there is no reason to continue learning."
          I would pick bag work over masturbating, fighting over sex, and KOing someone over having a orgasm!

Comment

"I don't mind the bowing or the gis. "
            nothing wrong with that though imo.....

Wing Chun-Well let's see......too many out of shape bums take it, not enough hotties take it (hey sweetheart, wanna chi sao?) lmao. Because obviously Wing Chun is the be all and end all of martial arts. Not. lol

--
            I attack flurriously!
            It smells like teen spirit.
            Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

Also many old men do Wing Chun. :-)

Just throw rock at it and it will go away.

"I would rather admit I am a lousy student than say I am the best, because once you think you are the best, there is no reason to continue learning."
              I would pick bag work over masturbating, fighting over sex, and KOing someone over having a orgasm!

Comment

They haven't promoted me to God yet. All I get is "Jesus" status. Bastards.

~
                delirious

Comment

Well, there's not really much wrong with my style, per se, although I do have my particular dilemmas. For example, I have a rounder face, so I must remember to select the right collar shape, but it can be hard to find a good straight point collar here in the land of the soft-roll button down. It'a also hard for me to find ties that are as thick as I like. I frequently have to tie full Windsor knots (which are really misnamed) in order to get the proper bulk in the knot. And it drives me crazy when people try to tell me I need to have a perfectly formed dimple, the way American newscasters always do. It looks RIDICULOUS to have such a symmetric and pronounced dimple. I mean for God's sake, if the Duke of Windsor (THE duke) didn't do it, it doesn't need to be done. Another thing that bothers me is the predominance of synthetics. I won't touch them.
                  I find too that my summer/spring look, which I call the "American Expat in Latin America Circa 1960", is too often misunderstood. People just don't understand boat shoes anymore. THEY'RE NOT DRESSY!!!!!! Anyway...

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**
                  Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the fuck I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Comment

Synthetics are awesome. Wrinkle and care free, and many are stain resistant. Then again, you probably don't work with chemicals and dyes on a daily basis...

Comment

Lack of foot strikes.
                      And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Comment

Muay Thai and BJJ.......absolutely no weaknesses at all......completely perfect in every way......like me!!!

Comment

You say there are no chokes in wrestling? What freaking wrestling are you in?
                          I'll make one when I can find one I like.

Comment

For Wing Chun, I have to agree with some of PizDoff's comments, though WC is supposed to be good for older people.
                            Perhaps too much emphasis on the center-line, and classes structured for more sparring. Cross-training helps a lot of this though.

pst

Comment

I agree with PizDoff. I do Wing Tsun and another big problem is the politics.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X