Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first Vale Tudo class - Observations

(Part 1 of 2)

Today was the first day of my school's Vale Tudo class. I thought I would share my observations with you guys (and gals).

BACKGROUND:

First of all, my Sifu explained that this was NOT a self-defense class. It is MMA with rules, like the UFC, and we would train accordingly. Vale Tudo deals with 3 of the 5 attack ranges. (I assume those are striking (punching) distance, clinching/takedowns, and the ground (grappling without a gi). Vale Tudo has three 5-minute rounds.

Tonight, we did a lot of sparring. No. I mean a LOT of sparring. We probably did eight 5-minute rounds. We wore gloves (bag or boxing) and mouthpieces. The punches were light contact, and my instructor warned us that anyone who got pissed off and hit too hard would not be allowed to participate. (This is sparring. You work WITH your partner. You don't try to take his head off.) The grappling was pretty-much all-out, though. We worked from several different positions, and both people could hit, use knees/elbows (not the point of the elbow - also, no knees to the head), sweeps, and submissions.

Here are the positions we sparred:
    Each person in the guard - 5 minutes each
    Each person in cross-body - 5 minutes each
    Clinching - start in an over/under (50/50) tie and take each other down - 5 minutes

Then, my Sifu asked us what we had the most problems with. Several people said cross-body, so we did another 5 minutes each of cross-body.

After that, we did 5 minutes of standup sparring (kicks/punches) until one person got a good clinch. Then, we started over.

OBSERVATIONS:
    - I am in TERRIBLE shape! :D

- It is very hard to do submissions or defend against submissions when you are exhausted and can't hardly lift your arms.

- Doing Vale Tudo with bag gloves sucks. Using 16 oz boxing gloves are even worse. It is too easy for someone to trap your hands.

- It was more difficult than I expected for either person to get a good clean shot to the face.

- It was more difficult than I expected to get a good clinch on someone. Of course, I was going for a Muay Thai "plum" (2 hands over the head). Maybe some sort of body clinch would have worked better. I'm not sure. We'll see. :)

- If you aren't careful, you can REALLY find yourself in a terrible position. I rolled with my Sifu and another instructor in the cross-body sparrings. They both were able to pin one arm under or between their legs. Then, they went to kesagatami and trapped my other arm in a space they made by putting their hand on the back of their head (sort of like when you're lying on the couch). From there, I was just screwed. I was able to keep my head in close to their body for protection... but I was still sooo screwed.

(End of Part 1)

(Part 2 of 2)

CLOSING:
    Ok. So this was not a real "self-defense" class. I was still impressed, though. I think it will translate quite nicely to "the street". One big reason is the training style. I mean, we went at it pretty hard, and did all of our techniques against a resisting opponent. We also had to keep going, even though we (or at least me) were exhausted. That's a good thing to learn, because you really can't afford to quit on the street. Also, we trained without a gi. It looks like we are going to work on (in my opinion) the key ranges - striking, clinching, and grappling. In a street fight, you can easily throw in biting, scratching, eye-gouging, elbows/knees to the head, groin shots, head butts, etc.

I started weight training two weeks ago. It looks like that will come in handy. I have heard many, many people talk about the importance of conditioning. Some people say it is the number one attribute of a good fighter. I think TMA was bad for martial arts, because they keep talking about "using your attacker's strength against him", implying that you really don't need to be in very good shape, yourself. You can rely on "technique". Well, you do need technique, but if you can't knock your opponent out very quickly, your conditioning will quickly come into play.

So, all things considered, I think it's a good class. I think all of the hard work and training will pay off... if I can just last a few weeks. :)

Rashomon

Comment

Sounds fun. How often is it?

Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Comment

The class is twice / week. Tusedays and Thursdays 6:30 - 7:30. We also have open mat time at my school (Tue / Thur 9:30-10:00 and Sat 10:30 - 12:00), so there should be plenty of time to work our stuff.

Rashomon

Comment

Sounds good !!

--------
          Make friends with them until they beg for mercy.
          --------
          The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
          - Pizdoff

Comment

this might be a dumb question but why do you call him sifu?

Comment

Vale Tudo is the heat. Definitely try it with 6 oz fingerless gloves ('NHB Gloves'), it will make the submissions a lot easier.

"Go cry about it Vargas. Aren't you late for your shift at McDonald's?"
              "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
              "Shadow Box"

Comment

"The punches were light contact, and my instructor warned us that anyone who got pissed off and hit too hard would not be allowed to participate."

:)
                i've heard stories :)

"this might be a dumb question but why do you call him sifu?"
                good question......

"Vale Tudo is the heat. Definitely try it with 6 oz fingerless gloves ('NHB Gloves'), it will make the submissions a lot easier."
                i thought you would be using these.....it's more "realistic"

--
                I attack flurriously!
                It smells like teen spirit.
                Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

"this might be a dumb question but why do you call him sifu?"

He also teaches JKD, BJJ, and a few other things. I think "Sifu" is the instructor title for one of those styles.

Rashomon

Comment

As long as you don't call him shirley..

Comment

Sounds like a great class. As someone who hasn't practiced in a while, I envy you.

A.K.A MEAT

Comment

>First of all, my Sifu explained that this was NOT a self-defense class. It is MMA with rules.

Yer, and you show me one "Self-defence" class that trains that hard, and with techniques that actually work and I'll show you a liar.

Class sounds good.

----------------------------------------------------------
                        Space may be the final frontier,
                        But it's made in a Hollywood basement.
                        "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
                        YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Comment

I think that you can probably defend yourself better from what you learn in that class than in "self-defense" class.

A.K.A MEAT

Comment

Yeah, even with rules to prevent excessive injuries, NHB/Vale Tudo will at the very least get you in better physical condition for a streetfight than some Krav Maga class.

And it doesn't take much of a leap of logic to go from "no elbows/fish hooks/eye gouges" in practice, to using them on someone that's trying to kill you.

Comment

Exactly, sticking your fingers in the guys eye isn't exactly rocket science, you can learn it in about 2 seconds.

People use it out of instinct all the time, would it not be more effective to use it in conjunction with a sound knowledge of grappling ? I think so.

----------------------------------------------------------
                              Space may be the final frontier,
                              But it's made in a Hollywood basement.

Edited by - slj on March 12 2003 08:09:02
                              "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
                              YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X