Leaving Tang Soo Do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaving Tang Soo Do

DIDN'T YOU KNOW?! The Chinese know everything! And they knew it 4,000 years before YOU did!

"Yes. Yes I am. I'm clearly illiterate and dictating this post to a squadron of several dozen trained jumping beans I've coearced into living on my keyboard, each named after a letter or character, which bounce up and down as I call their names." -JohnnyCache

Oh, I have to leave, but the lawyers should chime in now. Because you CAN break that contract.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Comment

Drat, I'd like to know how. I really hate pumping out cash for something I no longer want. If I have to get lawyers involved, it might not be worth the trouble.
      DIDN'T YOU KNOW?! The Chinese know everything! And they knew it 4,000 years before YOU did!

"Yes. Yes I am. I'm clearly illiterate and dictating this post to a squadron of several dozen trained jumping beans I've coearced into living on my keyboard, each named after a letter or character, which bounce up and down as I call their names." -JohnnyCache

Comment

hehe...sounds like a good decision bro. I dunno about whole army units training in muay thai but most infantry units at the very least do "grappling" seminar type things for PT every once in a while. The Gracie BJJ system is the official combatives training for the rangers. BDU's seem to make decent gi substitutes I think.
        On the other hand, I was also taught some L.I.N.E. type shit when I was in the Q course at Ft. Bragg and I know Guy Savelli and others of questionable integrity have trained 5th and 7th SF groups. Basically, for some reason, the ultra elite in the spec ops community seem to train with a wider variety of people and be more preyed on by the ashida kim's of the MA community.

Comment

Scan the contract and show it to us.

Comment

Originally posted by xingyifa
            hehe...sounds like a good decision bro. I dunno about whole army units training in muay thai but most infantry units at the very least do "grappling" seminar type things for PT every once in a while. The Gracie BJJ system is the official combatives training for the rangers. BDU's seem to make decent gi substitutes I think.
            Actually, I recently heard this from one of my childhood friends in the Navy right now. He can learn MT and BJJ. BJJ is also in the new military manuals, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyCache
              Scan the contract and show it to us.
              I'm not actually sure if I have it on hand.

Comment

You can always break any contract, then it's up to the other party to take you to court to enforce it.

I'm not sure why you would have to cancel your debit/credit card. Are you using a direct withdrawl to pay? If so, just tell the bank to stop paying it. It shouldn't require actually cancelling the card.

There may be a way out of the contract, but I couldn't tell you without reading it. I suspect that many of those martial arts contracts are poorly written and unenforceable, but having never been involved in one, I'm not sure. But assuming there is no way out, then the question is would they actually bother to sue you to enforce it? I don't know, but I doubt it.

This is in no way legal advice, but if it were me I'd just stop going, stop paying, and deal with the consequences as they arise. I doubt there will be any consequences, but if so, then you can decide whether to fight the contract or continue to pay and train until it's up.

Comment

Then get it on hand.

Comment

Pretty sure it uses direct withdrawl, yes. As for getting a copy of the paper, I might have to wait a few days until I can get hold of it.

The main problem with this whole situation, I think, is myself and my aversion to burning bridges.

Comment

It always sucks when good training degrades into crap.
                      I think it was two ninjas taped together, to make one GIANT NINJA!!!!

Comment

Sorry to hear you were in a Tang Soo Do mcdojo. Get out fast. I've been in Soo Bahk Do and I see mcdojoism in many of the federation's schools too. I think TSD in general is going down the same road as kiddy karate fast.

Hope some of us can turn it around....

Comment

Originally posted by Kistrael
                          The main problem with this whole situation, I think, is myself and my aversion to burning bridges.
                          That's a different story and I totally understand where you're coming from.

Comment

I actually was involved in something like this once. The thing is, I was 17 when they pressured me into signing without a guardian present so there wasn't a way to take me to court when I stopped sending checks two months later. I did get some annoying phone calls but my credit wasn't affected by the incident. I'm not sure if it's the fact that the contract wasn't legally binding, or just that they don't actually have a good way of collecting...
                            *note, the contract was signed and turned over to another company in FL where i was actually to send payments so it was the florida people that were calling my house for a couple months*

If they have muay thai techs in some manuals, then great! However, can you imagine the average non combat unit (which most navy units are) actually getting their fat butts into a ring and banging shins on a regular basis? Nuh uh. The only units I've ever served with were combat units and even those weren't hardcore enough about combatives to make everybody fight thai boxing style in a ring...
                            I'm not a thai stylist but don't you actually have to spar thai style in order to call what you do thai boxing?

Comment

How much time is on your contract. From what I understand they are hard to break, and what they can do is send you to collections which could mess up your credit.
                              "Its not important to be strong, its just important not to be weak."

Comment

Working...
                              X