Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corporal discipline?

Hi guys (and gals),

Is it to be expected that an instructor would intimidate students using threats of being hit or 'beaten down' during the course of a regular class?

thanks,
    MAUser

Yes, unless you wanna take some pussy style that doesn't involve either A) getting punched or kicked, B) have your limbs twisted up into uncomfortable positions, or C) getting slammed on the ground all the time.
    SON OF ODIN

My Punching with Power article

Comment

You mean "train or you'll be sorry when your classmates beat you down"?

That's no threat. That's just a fair warning.
      “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Comment

It's one thing to say you're open to attack and thrown something to make you remember to keep your hands up (and you will) or a quick pop when you're not paying attention. Keeps you focused.

It's another to if it's some random screaming that he's going to kick your ass.

That said if you were ok with it you wouldn't be posting asking about it.

Edit: not that I'm an expert, but i've never heard about that type of thing in akido. kind of doesn't fit. :wrestlera
        Last edited by PirateJon; 6/22/2005 1:07pm, .
        You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Comment

You'd think taunts of being spirtually superior would be used to wear you down until you no longer had the will to return to class.

Comment

Originally posted by mauser
            Hi guys (and gals),

Is it to be expected that an instructor would intimidate students using threats of being hit or 'beaten down' during the course of a regular class?

thanks,
            MAUser
            Be a little more specific so as to add some context.

Comment

Originally posted by lawdog
              Be a little more specific so as to add some context.
              Either that or just never post again.

"There is no such thing as a bisexual man. If you like dick, you're gay."

Comment

If the instructor is teaching Aikido, it shouldn't be threatening at all.
                "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." – Voltaire.

Comment

OK ... OK ... Say you are in class and by mistake while doing push ups or some other excersise you say ... "shit" ... then the instructor comes by and asks you to stop while he kicks you in the abs because you said "shit"

Thats one example.

Thanks ... MAUSER

Comment

How hard of a kick? If it's just a love tap, then it's fine, after all, you broke a rule. If it's a "oh my God I can't breathe!" kick, then just leave.

PL

Comment

Poop loops is correct. Outside sparring the sifu/sensei/couch/sugar daddy is not entitled to actually hurt you. A playful hit is OK, in my opinion, but actually hurting you is not acceptable.
                      That civilisation may not sink,
                      Its great battle lost,
                      Quiet the dog, tether the pony
                      To a distant post;
                      Our master Caesar is in the tent
                      Where the maps are spread,
                      His eyes fixed upon nothing,
                      A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Comment

I used to get the crap beat out of me doing sanchin.
                        And I loved it baby !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

If he kicked you with the intent to fuck your ribs up..you'd be an idiot to stay.
                          Sounds like the guy likes to have power trips. Ask him if he's ever stumped his toe and said "damnit" If he says yes Slap the shit outta him.

Gotta balance the universe.

Comment

Originally posted by BatRonin
                            I used to get the crap beat out of me doing sanchin.
                            And I loved it baby !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            That civilisation may not sink,
                            Its great battle lost,
                            Quiet the dog, tether the pony
                            To a distant post;
                            Our master Caesar is in the tent
                            Where the maps are spread,
                            His eyes fixed upon nothing,
                            A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Comment

Confession.: When I was like 8 years old I took Karate lessons. The instructor actually made me cry. No kidding. Once when we were doing something he was yelling in my face, telling me how worthless I was, etc and made me hit him in the stomach. He laughed. Yelled some more. Threatened to hit me back if I didnt hit him harder. Laughed some more. Pushed me around. Sad really because at the time I was scared he was really going to hurt me. The second time during sparring he kept telling me to keep my hands up and protect my face. Then he came over and kicked me in the stomach. Hard enough to lift me in the air and knock the wind out of me. I crumbled. He yelled at me. I couldn't even take any air in to cry. So I sat there in a ball for a few minutes unable to really cry. Just wanting to cry but unable.

Very theraputic. I think I'm going to go have a good cry in the bathroom real fast.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X