why do you study what you study?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why do you study what you study?

For all the non-competitors: Is it because it is tried and tested self-defense system proven in the NHB circuit? Is it because you want to eventually compete?

I study Jun Fan Gung Fu because I am a Bruce Lee nut-hugger.
    I study BJJ because I wanted to study a second art and I knew that I wouldn't be able to spend that much time away from my wife so I convinced her to start training in what ever art she wanted. She chose BJJ.

...now you know the rest of the story.

Comment

Ha! Good choice man, grappling's mucho fun. If she didn't have a choice on the matter, what other art would you have picked?

Comment

I've just started to compete in BJJ. I train in BJJ because it is fun. Oh, and it's good solid grappling.
        "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Comment

Originally posted by garbanzobean
          I've just started to compete in BJJ. I train in BJJ because it is fun. Oh, and it's good solid grappling.
          Serious. If I was a millionaire and if there were 48 hours in a day, I'd take up BJJ to compliment my aiki. Needless to say, developing a base in a submission art is not my top priority.

Comment

BJJ is not about submission. It is about guard jumping and butt scooting.

Comment

Um....yeah! Ha ha?

Comment

I train what I do because I can run out the door when I need to throw up from the exertion, walk back in and continue training without worrying about having to bow.

Comment

That civilisation may not sink,
                  Its great battle lost,
                  Quiet the dog, tether the pony
                  To a distant post;
                  Our master Caesar is in the tent
                  Where the maps are spread,
                  His eyes fixed upon nothing,
                  A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Comment

I do what I do best, but what I do best, isn't very nice.

Comment

Because it makes me too deadly for the ring... duh. :glasses9:

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorOfLuv
                        Ha! Good choice man, grappling's mucho fun. If she didn't have a choice on the matter, what other art would you have picked?
                        I was thinking about Silat or CSW (Eric Paulson's Combat Submission Wrestling which is a complicated way of saying MMA.) Hell, I was interested in any of my schools classes, that's why having her choose wasn't a big deal. 9 Months later, I don't regret the choice.

This topic just reminded me to update my thread about her training.

Comment

Originally posted by BatRonin
                          I do what I do best, but what I do best, isn't very nice.
                          Way to screw it up, Ronin. :5dunce:

Originally posted by Wolverine
                          I'm the best there is at what I do, and what I do ain't pretty.
                          :tongue2:

Comment

Grappling, specifically BJJ, is useful for developing sexual positions and whatnot, which is all I'm really interested in, but I learned how to punch, just a little bit, to hide my intentions.

Comment

Also, I am going to train hard so I can take a test in my Jun Fan class. As soon as I pass it, I will probably switch over to Muay Thai for a while. I would add Muay Thai but I only have so many hours a week to train so 3 classes is out of the question. Although we have kick boxing aspects to the Jun Fan class, I want to switch to a %100 kick boxing class for a while. I think more constant ring time will help knock some of my natural flinchiness out. I will probably switch back eventually but I need some ring time.

Comment

Working...
                              X