What happened to jiu-jitsu? (not bjj)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened to jiu-jitsu? (not bjj)

It seems that ever since BJJ started to spread, all talk of "classic" JJ just disappeared. Why is this? I rarely hear anything bad about it (except aikido) . Yet no one seems to practice it. Why is this?

"Traditionally," Koryu arts don't do a lot of self-promotion. That is not to say that information is not out there. Great places to start include www.koryu.com , www.e-budo.com , and strangely enough www.aikidojournal.com.

I'm not kidding about that last one. A lot of their contributors do Koryu.

Gaining in popularity, at least in my opinion, is Daito-Ryu. You may want to start with the DRAJJ Hombu Dojo site at www.daito-ryu.org . Daito-Ryu was one of the major inspirations for Aikido, and features very similar techniques, although practiced with more resistance early on, with more emphasis on injuring the opponent in the actual performance of the technique, and in a more formalized curricula.

The Koryu arts are out there, they still have value, and they are growing in popularity. You just won't see them on ESPN or in the Octagon.

Comment

Poeple stopped talking about JJJ when it got owned by Judo.

PL

Comment

Originally posted by Poop-Loops

PL

Pretty much. Kano's guys soundly defeated the JJJ guys earlier this century.

JJJ is definitely around, but it's just not promoted and high profile.
        Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

Comment

You mean last century, right? :)

PL

Comment

You mean last century, right? :)

PL
            Oh, shit, point. Yeah. Heh heh.

Comment

Hapkido is replacing it?
              **SLAP**

Bad Os, bad!

Old school JJ clubs don't compete so they don't get much attention. A lot law enforcement agencies use techniques from JJ, wrist restraints and stuff. I work in security and those techniques are priceless for taking someone outside when you DON'T want to turn them into a bloody mess; it looks bad on us when we do that.

Comment

Some evolve.
                IE-
                Ketto Ryu Ju jitsu was a traditional japanese ju jitsu system that evolved into a shindo ju jitsu which is essentially MMA but also had alot of very good self defense stuff.

Comment

PL

Judo is a form of JJJ

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murphy
                    Judo is a form of JJJ

I don't think that's how the JJJ guys who Kano whupped saw it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murphy
                      Judo is a form of JJJ
                      Sure. In the same way kendo is a form of kenjutsu. That is, it is a sport version of it.
                      --
                      L.

Comment

Who cares who beat who 50 or 100 years ago ? Worry about the state of your training now.

I have seen a couple of JJJ (Japanese Ju Jutsu) dojo's here in Sydney. Now from what I have seen they share the same problem as Ninjutsu - thats the Bujinkan.

The problem is no free practice. In other words no sparring against a resisting opponant. They simply attack one another in a pre arranged and co operative mannner. Oh and there is not much fitness based training either.

Theoretically Japanses Ju Jutsu has the lot. Judo comes from JJJ. BJJ is based on Judo as we all know by now. The problem is not with the techniques in the art. Its HOW they are being taught- any system which does no sparring is just doing a dis-service to its students.
                        Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got shit on me !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal
                          No sparring against a resisting opponent.
                          This is why:

1) Judokas > JuJutsukas

2) The soke of my JJ style studied Judo for years. And his son does the same: he's been training in Judo for years and has never been taught nothing of JJ. Until now.
                          "The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His father, in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter." -Thomas Jefferson - (purposefully taken out of its context) Source.

Comment

I don't think it's considered classical JJJ (was synthesized from Judo, Aikido and Japanese Kempo in the mid-20th century), but http://www.jitsufoundation.org practices a style they call Shorinji Kan Jiu Jitsu. I watched a class and then went back and took part in one this week.

They did fitness work (being out of shape, I found it hard going, even though they were taking it easy that night because it was really hot.), and practiced some resistive drills (we did some basic groundwork where we started back to back and then had to spin round and try and pin our opponent down with their back to the mat, just like I remember from Judo as a kid.)
                            They also taught breakfalling as I remember it being done in Judo.

Where it parted company from judo was that some standing wrist-grab escapes and armlocks were practiced, and some weapons defence was practiced (trying to disarm an empty plastic bottle from your opponent whilst they hit you over the head with it. This started out compliant, and was then livened up so the attacker was trying to hit you and not let you take the bottle). I'm guessing this stuff came from Aikido or classical JJJ.

There was a little bit of striking. We practiced some simple throws and choke escapes which were generally finished with a strike. We practiced throwing opponents who were coming in with a punch or a front kick.

The organisation also holds regular competitions with Judo rules that Judoka participate in.
                            I know a lot of people here might scoff at the 'wrist-grab-escape' stuff, and recommend I just do Judo instead, but I like practicing the judo-type stuff against strikes, and the little bit of striking they teach seemed straightforward. The aikido-like stuff was just a small part of it, and they do understand the value of conditioning and competition. They were friendly and inexpensive. I will go back for more.
                            Last edited by Cullion; 6/26/2005 12:40pm, . Reason: typo in url
                            !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Comment

OR

If (and one big if for that matter ) have smart Senseis and Masters who have witness what Pride and UFC is really all about and have evolve their training so fort into that 'WAY' of fighting.

So, in final that is the state of JJJ in the US.
                              [img=http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/2364/8026700123940loij9.th.jpg]

"God damn America" --Muammar al-Gaddafi

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X