Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benny the Jet

Hello All,

Any opinions regarding Sensei Benny "the Jet" Urquidez and his style Urquidakon?
    He has a dojo/gym in souther california, North Hollywood I think.

thanks in advance,

maUser

Well, AIUI, he won significant, properly recorded titles in full contact kickboxing matches against competitors who also made their living from fighting in full contact kickboxing matches. He may not be 'the best ever', but that would certainly put him head and shoulders above the vast majority of martial arts instructors.

Comment

When it comes to kickboxing, learning from Benny The Jet is an opportunity I wouldn't pass up. He's a REAL former world champion, and is associated with people like Gene LeBell and other very accomplished martial artists.

Franco

Comment

I know him and can't say enough about him... He is a very talented fighter and flat out one very tough SOB....

Comment

but how is he as a teacher?

Comment

John Cusack likes him as a teacher

Comment

So does Dave Mustaine

Comment

Benny is one of the best around, both as a fighter and a teacher.

Comment

He does have both electric boots AND mohair suits.

I read it in a magazine.

Comment

Originally posted by afronaut
                    He does have both electric boots AND mohair suits.

I read it in a magazine.
                    He is ahead of the times.

Comment

Thanks for all the input you guys .... but what about his style "Urquidakon" any opinions bout that?

-mauser

Comment

Ukidokan is a MMA, it has elements of pretty much everything, including grappling, so...

Comment

Pick up his book, Essential Fighting Skills, or something like that. If you like what you see, go for it. In terms of full contact karate he was ahead of his time. Unfortunately, times passed him by to some degree.

If you have any questions, you should go in and train with them. I doubt you will be disappointed.

Comment

Now, I'm probably going to get pasted for saying this here, but has anyone seen that (70's? 80's?) Jackie Chan movie that Benny played in?
                            ( Meals on Wheels/Spartan X.) I was amazed to see that in addition to being a straight-up bad MFR in real life, he can do all the same super-socky kung fu stunts that Jackie could.

Backflips, kicking off walls, etc. Incredible athlete. Can kick your ass and look pretty while he does it, if he wants to. I was quite impressed.

*tumbleweeds*

Guys?

Anybody?

'K, I'll just get my coat..........
                            Last edited by MattJ; 5/27/2005 3:45pm, .

Comment

Jackie almost kicked Benny off the set in MoW because he was hitting too hard. No kidding.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X