Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All of the crazy noises people make before breaking bricks or boards.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tai-gip
    replied
    grunting and breathing deaply before hand is generaly trying to oxiginate the body before a physical feat, kia is meant to help with focus and concentration... so ive been told

Leave a comment:

• Kungfoolss
    replied
    Originally posted by Te No Kage!
    half making you exhale/ half psyching yourself up

in judo, we're doing a little kiaing now when taking breakfalls, but actually it's pretty good practice to make yourself exhale when hitting the mat, helps deflate your lungs and soften the impact, if you don't it's like squashing a balloon
    I thought this would've been obvious, yet after reading many of the earlier posts, it's plain to see many people don't have a lot of ground experience. Likewise, breathing loudly enables your body to absorb a hit in the event your partner connects with you a little too hard (either standing or on the ground/mat). It's a protection mechanism.

Leave a comment:

• Ryno
    replied
    An open mouth is the quickest way to get knocked out in a boxing match.

With that said, I still grunt a bit from between gritted teeth.

Leave a comment:

• Zendetta
    replied
    I like Jim Kelly's kiai in Enter the Dragon.

Moop! (breaks cop's nightstick)

Moop! (whack!)

Moop! (Pow!)

Moop! (Slam!)

and so on.

Leave a comment:

• Poop Loops
    replied
    If you don't exhale when breakfalling, you can get the wind knocked out of you. Especially if the guy falls on you afterwards. =/

PL

Leave a comment:

• Te No Kage!
    replied
    half making you exhale/ half psyching yourself up

in judo, we're doing a little kiaing now when taking breakfalls, but actually it's pretty good practice to make yourself exhale when hitting the mat, helps deflate your lungs and soften the impact, if you don't it's like squashing a balloon

Leave a comment:

• Camus
    replied
    I remember that back when I started aikido, one of things I hated the most in the beginning class was that one of the instructors, who kind of a bitch, insisted on kiaing and, frankly, I hate it. I literally can't yell for more than a a minute or so without losing my voice and I always lose it after concerts, etc. I also hate make noises, in general, except in a comedic fashion. Anyway, this bitch insisted on kiaing after being thrown into a forward roll thingie, so I finally asked about how we were supposed to do it and so she made the whole class group up again (they didn't like me much as it was) and explain that it didn't matter what the sound was, just so long as it was from the hara?, is it? (I can't remember) and other bullshit. So I started kiaing with basically a gutteral 'SHUUUUU-IIITTT' after every throw. Stupid bitch. I kept that up until I stopped aikido. Funny part is, very few people actually noticed I was swearing.

Leave a comment:

• Poop Loops
    replied
    No, it's just another one of those "remember to exhale when striking" things. I can do it on my own, I don't need to make a noise to let the other guy confirm that I am, in fact, breathing.

PL

Leave a comment:

• afronaut
    replied
    I thought the "hiss" in muay thai or boxing or k-boxing was a trick to get you to tense your stomach muscles to be prepared for getting hit while striking.

Leave a comment:

• Poop Loops
    replied
    I HATE making noises. I hated Ki-haping in TKD, and I hate the stupid "KSSS" crap in MT. I DON'T WANT TO MAKE A FUCKING NOISE. I WANT TO BE A NINJA! STRIKE WITHOUT WARNING!!

PL

Leave a comment:

• BaguaMonk
    replied
    True. Hopefully the transmission is right, and usually the teacher who knows these things usually has enough experience to know wether he developed cancer accidentally, or diarhhea while practicing Iron Wire. Also, such forms are extremely advandced and would kill the average person, so alot of rigorous training for a while is pretty much necessary. I would hope that most teachers do their research, and there ARE old texts (in chinese) written by the old masters. Some even with pictures and everything. But you have to have a good teacher for that, because like you said it could be dangerous. I've seen more than a few Kempo (wanna be Shaolin-ers) go pretty stupid and crazy from picking up old advandced chi gung methods. You know, those "Ultimate Shaolin" dudes, who maybe can take a strike to the throat when he expects it, and uses it to publicize his terrible "combat kung fu."

So yeah, good teacher, and a slow start up (not overdoing it) is something I would recommend with these methods. But the benefits I've seen are quite astonishing. Health wise, I would rather stick to the popular, and easy to learn chi gung methods for well being.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Mantis
    replied
    Originally posted by BaguaMonk
    Honestly I prefer sound with meaning, Like Hung Gars Iron wire form, in which every sound corresponds to certain organs, elements (not real ones, just for reference), and emotions.
    Whenever you have sounds in these types of training exercises, I always wonder, "How do you know you are doing it right?" Since there were no audio and video recordings from the days these exercises came about. Plus you know changes to things are pretty much inevitable, even if they are minor. The sounds present another level of something to go wrong with.

Leave a comment:

• BaguaMonk
    replied
    It doesn't help much. The main reason being is because they are just taught to yell as loud as they can without ever being told why. In reality, sometimes a sharp exhalation, and a a sound can help with developing a certain mental intention. Also, if you've ever done Kendo, or practiced with some pretty hardcore traditionalists, it is quite scary to see someone throwing a fast kick at your face while making these noises. Or while they are coming at you with a sword.

But for the most part, it is overdone in these Sport shows, and even in alot of Dojos, quite dull. Honestly I prefer sound with meaning, Like Hung Gars Iron wire form, in which every sound corresponds to certain organs, elements (not real ones, just for reference), and emotions.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Mantis
    replied
    The few times I have broken (patio block) I didn't make any sounds. All you hear is the smack of my hand and the crashing of blocks upon the floor.

Much like a ninja. :new_black

Leave a comment:

• Feryk
    replied
    Step 1.) NEVER watch that shit on ESPN. Paul Mitchell sponsors it. What else do you need to know?

Step 2.) Stop breaking boards, and spend the time training/rolling/sparring/anything else.

Step 3.) Repeat steps 1 and 2 for at least a year. Then come back and read your post again. You will be amazed how differently you feel.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X