Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Serious Questions from a Newbie

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Serious Questions from a Newbie

    hello,

    The names chuck. New to the board.... anyways..
    There's a Kenpo Karate class/school thing not to far from me.. There's not to many in south mississippi.... I was wondering what things I need to know or ask the instructor. I've heard about these "McDojos" and I just want to make sure i'm not getting ripped off or learn the wrong way or learn from a bad instructor.. (How much does a class usually run? extra hidden fees??) I just turned 19 and never had a martial arts class in my life but I'm very interested in starting.. just not at a "McDojo". Here's a link to their website I luckily found. They have some videos.. If you can determine if they are good by a couple of their videos that would be great.

    http://host215.ipowerweb.com/~ihmafcom/home/home.htm

    Thank you.

    #2
    Here's my 2 cents worth. Out of all the different Kenpo orgs out there, I think the AKKI is one of the better one's. One of my closest buds is a 6th deg. under AKKI Founder Paul Mills. We worked together in a local cowboy bar here in Vegas, and I'm glad he was there to watch my six in many a brawl together. I asked him about Rick Brumby, who heads the school you linked, and he says Brumby is a legit 5th, a top notch fighter with a good diverse background, and recently has students competing in MMA competitions as well. From what I've seen, the AKKI puts out some good tough fighters.

    Franco
    Last edited by masterfinger; 5/26/2005 1:55am, .

    Comment


      #3
      He does seem to have a sense of humor which is always good...

      A different direction was taken by the studio in 1996 with more of an emphasis on modern kenpo as taught by Skip Hancock and Kenpo2000. It was also at this time that "Fight Night" officially ended. It was decided that the direction the sparring class was taking wasn't the direction the school wanted to go in regards to self defense. We began to focus more on the self defense and less on the fighting. Finding that the school was still lacking in a solid structure that was consistent with the school's personality, we once again searched for direction.
      Edit: This is sort of worrysome though...
      Last edited by El-Wood; 5/26/2005 1:59am, .

      Comment


        #4
        Hmm, Well that's the kind of info I like to hear.. I just don't wanna be one of those poor learned karate boys that would get beat down as soon as I stepped out of the dojo. I'll look more into it and pay a visit to one of their classes and check it out. You're 2 cents is greatly appreciated.


        -chuck

        Comment


          #5
          Kempo can either suck balls or be very good, I have never seen an OK Kempo school. Look out for static training, making you believe hype about the style and especially the instructor(s). I recently left my school. I am a 2nd degree black in Shorin Kempo Ju Karate Do which means jack shit to me anymore, so yes I am anti-Kempo for the time being. After getting burnned through stupid politics and accomodating poor fighters I'm done. My gym turnned into a Mc Dojo and began spouting subtle bullshido so, I got out. tread lighty young one into the world of BullKempo.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Jeff Fletcher
            The instructor was very knowledgeable within the art, but he soon decided to teach or better yet, preach so called "channeling spirits." This meant using the left side of the brain to attack without touching an opponent, kind of like mortal combat if you will. I told the instructor that was not what I wanted to learn, that I was here to learn fighting or a more appropriate word for that time … combat.
            From the site alone I would say it seems like a pretty good school. Maybe it caters a bit to the more recreational martial artist with "optional sparring", but it also has a seemingly MMA oritened class called "warriors edge". Even their "fitness kickboxing" mentions sparring. Some tournament photos have students dressed in what is clearly point sparring gear, but others appear to be from grappling tournaments. A bit of a mixed message. It sounds like the place has a lot of promise. Check it out and see what goes on there.

            Use common sense when checking the place out. Do the teachers make corrections when someone is having problems or do they just stand there? Do they insist that their word is supreme over all or do they point out potential flaws in moves they show? Talk to a few students as well as the teacher. Ask if they enjoy it, how long they've been doing it, if they spar regularly (point sparring or continuous?) and ask any other questions on your mind (cost, time period, etc.)

            Comment


              #7
              Well, I went down to the 'studio' place. And met with Rick Grumby who runs the place. He's very nice. He told me they have American Kenpo Karate and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. He said BJJ was more of a conditioning and contact sport more than karate and would take alot of working out.. and he gets older guys that just start that class and they get tired and quit pretty quickly.... He said on saturdays they have "Fight Night" where they have sparring n such... I wish I could have stuck around more and watched some stuff but I had Burger King sitting in the car..... oh yea, and my g/f.. But the classes are $65 a month and there's no contracts... Does that sound good or reasonable? I forgot to ask him if I have to buy a Gi thing or sparring apparel.. Thanks.

              Comment


                #8
                Who teaches the BJJ?

                Comment


                  #9
                  $65 a month with no contract is generally a good deal for quality instruction. I am confused why they are showing single-legs with the head on the outside and wonder why, apart from bagwork there seem to be no gloves worn (which could indicate a lack of full contact sparring, but could also mean there are just no pics of it).

                  Really, you will need to purchase a gi when you start any place that trains in gis; hopefully your first one will last you a bit, but if you will be doing full-contact, with grappling, etc, a sturdier than normal gi would be recommended.

                  What kind of trial do you get before you need to sign-up?

                  Have you watched any of the senior students or instructors really go at it?
                  Locu5
                  combat sports hobbyist

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Don't eat Burger King.

                    And take some free lessons at every school in town. See which one you LIKE most. Regardless of how awesome the teacher, the lessons, and the school are - if you don't like it you won't stick around.

                    Get your feet wet.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by locu5
                      $65 a month with no contract is generally a good deal for quality instruction. I am confused why they are showing single-legs with the head on the outside and wonder why, apart from bagwork there seem to be no gloves worn (which could indicate a lack of full contact sparring, but could also mean there are just no pics of it).
                      High crotch? can't tell from the still.
                      Last edited by Dochter; 5/26/2005 1:32pm, .

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by cloudy
                        Well, I went down to the 'studio' place. And met with Rick Grumby who runs the place. He's very nice. He told me they have American Kenpo Karate and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. He said BJJ was more of a conditioning and contact sport more than karate and would take alot of working out.. and he gets older guys that just start that class and they get tired and quit pretty quickly.... He said on saturdays they have "Fight Night" where they have sparring n such... I wish I could have stuck around more and watched some stuff but I had Burger King sitting in the car..... oh yea, and my g/f.. But the classes are $65 a month and there's no contracts... Does that sound good or reasonable? I forgot to ask him if I have to buy a Gi thing or sparring apparel.. Thanks.
                        I don't know much about Kenpo, nor have I read the school's website. The fact that the offer BJJ classes, however, is a very good thing. Not only will it round out your "game", but it also shows an open-mindedness about cross training.

                        The fact that they have a "fight night" is a *great* thing, in my opinion. That should be a place where you can combine everything and try it all out against a resisting opponent. You can get some esperience dealing with the fear factor and not freaking out when someone is really punching at you. Then, you can figure out what you need more work on in class. Fight Night might be a bit advanced for you. at first, at least until you learn some skills. The fact that it is there as an option, though, is a very positive indicator.

                        $65 / month with no contract sounds reasonable. I pay $50 (US), but that is pretty rare. I've seen other places charge more and limit the classes.

                        How many classes per week do you get with $65?

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Theres one class on monday and one class on wednesday.. and a fight night on friday but only by invitation only. the monday and wednesday class is 1 hour and 30 minutes long.. . I'm not sure who teaches the BJJ.. Also, How much are Gi's, usually? When I go for my free first class to check it out.. the guy did say I could put on one of their gi's and practice with them.. would it be a good idea to spar a couple of people to see if their skills are worth learning? Or would it be just a quick way to get beat down =x
                          Last edited by cloudy; 5/27/2005 5:21pm, .

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Check out the Gulf Coast Judo Club in Ocean Springs, MS. I competed at one of their tournaments last year. That is, if you're interested in grappling. At least it's cheaper at $40/month.

                            http://usja-judo.org/Clubs/ViewDojo.php?ID=149

                            BTW, if you're ever in Pensacola let me know
                            "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

                            Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by cloudy
                              hello,

                              The names chuck. New to the board.... anyways..
                              There's a Kenpo Karate class/school thing not to far from me.. There's not to many in south mississippi.... I was wondering what things I need to know or ask the instructor. I've heard about these "McDojos" and I just want to make sure i'm not getting ripped off or learn the wrong way or learn from a bad instructor.. (How much does a class usually run? extra hidden fees??) I just turned 19 and never had a martial arts class in my life but I'm very interested in starting.. just not at a "McDojo". Here's a link to their website I luckily found. They have some videos.. If you can determine if they are good by a couple of their videos that would be great.

                              http://host215.ipowerweb.com/~ihmafcom/home/home.htm

                              Thank you.

                              Checked out the website and vids, don't waste your time or money, find a good BJJ school or something. What I saw was typical of most Kenpo schools not just the AKKI. Stagnant techniques with no resistance and lots of flash with little to no regard for proper stances or alignment.

                              Have a great Kenpo day

                              Clyde
                              Saving Kenpo souls one at a time!

                              Put down your purse!

                              Speed is fine, but accuracy is final. Wyatt Earp, 1888

                              "For certain 'tis a shameful spite, and dreadful to the heart,
                              For an Irishman to see a fight, and not be taking part."

                              --"How McPherson Held the Floor"

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X