Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How have Movies/TV effected Martial arts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How have Movies/TV effected Martial arts.

Once a fighter, Always a fighter. Shawn
    -Styles i train in-
    Judo
    Bjj
    Mtkickboxing
    Western boxing
    Wrestling

-Styles i train in-
    Judo
    Bjj
    Mtkickboxing
    Western boxing
    Wrestling

Comment

-Styles i train in-
      Judo
      Bjj
      Mtkickboxing
      Western boxing
      Wrestling

Comment

-Styles i train in-
        Judo
        Bjj
        Mtkickboxing
        Western boxing
        Wrestling

Comment

-Styles i train in-
          Judo
          Bjj
          Mtkickboxing
          Western boxing
          Wrestling

Comment

-Styles i train in-
            Judo
            Bjj
            Mtkickboxing
            Western boxing
            Wrestling

Comment

These are the posts i made on my thread.

As you can see some adress people directly.

heres the thread
              http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showt...20&pagenumber=1
              -Styles i train in-
              Judo
              Bjj
              Mtkickboxing
              Western boxing
              Wrestling

Comment

Hollywood don't give a damn about person's self defense or ground fighting. All they want is moneys. So they aren't gonna to spend a millions of dollars on some movie that will attract bunches of homo men to watch bunches of fighter hugging eachother on ground to death and end up making only few thousand dollars. So the movies probably will still be all about TMA for very long time after all of us are dead (if not forever). Because the public want to see all cool flashy moves and fights, not some ground fighter who roll around on ground. So you either have to live with it or you can try to change it (I doubt anyone can change this, it is extremely difficult unless all students are require to take UFC style classes in school).

"I would rather admit I am a lousy student than say I am the best, because once you think you are the best, there is no reason to continue learning."
                I would pick bag work over masturbating, fighting over sex, and KOing someone over having a orgasm!

Comment

Movies are just that MOVIES - make believe. Your always going to get people that mix fiction with reality, until a real dose of reality comes and hits them right on the nose ( or takes them to the ground and ties them up, you choose ;) ).

Anyway I love movies, I want to be entertained, I watch a jet li movie I dont come out thinking thats the shit I'll be training in my next session.

The reality is non-MA's dont want to see *real* fighting in a movie, it would be far too boring, they wanna see all the fancy stuff, its exciting, its entertaining.

Wanna watch something a little more real we've got all the NHB stuff.

Anyway thats my newbie 2-cents - wtf do I know anyhoo I'm just a TMA of sorts ;p

Comment

"Ring fighters train full contact all the time"

yeah, but ninjas fight all the time and flip out and kill people!!! SWEEEET!!

anyway, stop whining. your reality is as distorted and one-sided as is the one of the people you're complaining about.

Comment

The public just want a show, they don't want reality, and they moan if they get it.

I think showing Jet Li beating Pro MMA fighters is pretty stupid, but people need to think for themselves.

----------------------------------------------------------
                      The story of a woman on the morning of a war,
                      Remind me if you will exactly what we're fighting for.
                      "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
                      YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Comment

1 being that people today have trouble because of the fact that they believe that if they see it on TV it must be true.(Their general thinking being, No one would risk lying to the public so it must be real.)
                        You did see MMA triumph over TMA on television didn't you? Ok, just checking...

Comment

Comment

This is a lost cause judo kid. Wrestling looks gay being on the ground is gay, people don't like it. Face up MMA has a limit market value the general population arn't going to watch this reality fighting. They wany kung fu flash, and will always want it. Get over it. I think a movie would such if it was just like ufc it be boring watching Jet Li kick 50 ninja's asses is alot more entertaining.
                            Also I am glad people find styles that work in real life. I just have question is every one on the street and train ufc fighter? I believe the answer is no, you averge crook fighting ablities range from simple weaponary to maybe some expertise. So ues a tkd dude might be able to beat up the crack who's trying to mug him. If you really want to be the best fighter in the world get a fucken gun or pocket knife. Because you most likly get stab if you tryed your bjj on the average thug.

"A California man has been taken to court for stalking Anna Nicole Smith. The man has been charged with invasion of privacy, illegal trespassing, and having really bad taste."-Conan

Comment

I think shows like Sponge Bob and the Power Rangers have caused dojos to place a lot more focus on kids, which makes it tough for adults to get much out of the training. I've noticed that the adult-child ratio has changed dramatically in the last 20 years. Part of it is because a lot more kids are training, but another part is due to the adults dropping out.

One question I'd have is how have martial arts affected movies? Up until recently, you'd see nothing but flashy strikes in martial arts movies. Now, due to the popularity of the UFC and other MMA events, you're starting to see more grappling and submissions in the martial arts flicks. Hell, I saw Jean-Claude Van Damme - Mr. Flash himself - slap an armbar on somebody in "Derailed." Terrible movie, by the way. I also remember seeing Seagal use the guard in "Under Siege 2." "Kickboxer 4," another lousy flick, actually had quite a few realistic fights - due in part to Rigan and Jean Jacques Machado's input.

"Strike first! Strike hard! No mercy, sir!"

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X