Thinking of swiching martial arts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of swiching martial arts...

I did a search but came empety handed, so if you find a thread on this please give me the URL. Anyways let's get down to the point. I've found an Aikido school very close by (just moved from another part of town here), the instructor apparently has about 25 years of experiance and 7 years of teaching. He also seems to know what he's doing, though me not being a Akido master myself don't know that as a fact. It seems fairly legit, though my question is, is Aikido effective? Is it something I could use practically in a fight? The instructor recommend that I stop doing Karate if I where to join because the two arts would contridict themself ect...

No, not effective.

Comment

While the pc answer is, it depends on the school, chances are the answer is "no, not effective at all"

Much of what I've seen of Aikido both first hand and through different media types consists of compliant training and overly complicated and ineffective technique. Furthermore much of the success of effective techniques is dependent on the assumption that you'll be fighting against someone who is incompetent themselves (i.e. pain compliance and wristlocks in the absence of limb immobilization)

Given that many aikidoka themselves say "ahhsooo it takes ~10 years to become proficient", I'm fine with laying out the blanket statement of "Aikido is shit".

Comment

Ueshiba and a few of his first students could kick major ass with it, BUT they also had years of "hard' styles under their belts. Ueshiba even went to war. I want to try Aikido some day, but not until I get very good with grappling and striking.

The main reason Aikido sucks is because the students want to be like Ueshiba without putting in all the work, and it's philosophy is a breeding ground for hippies.

PL

Comment

So am I correct to say the summary of this is that Aikido is effective only if you put in A LOT of time and hard work? So far I have a few years of striking and grappling under my belt.

Comment

The ten years is their thing. I'd discount that and given their own opinion of themselves put it merely on the order of a decade.

In other words, not in this lifetime.

Comment

Effective for what?

The majority of aikidoka don't think their art is effective in the ring.

That is in an MMA context where all aikido techniques are allowed, aikidoka tend not to think that those techniques will work.
              Last edited by Jekyll; 4/16/2005 6:51pm, . Reason: Clarity

Comment

Originally posted by Chris.B
                So am I correct to say the summary of this is that Aikido is effective only if you put in A LOT of time and hard work? So far I have a few years of striking and grappling under my belt.
                No, Aikido becomes effective when you put in A LOT of time and hard work into styles proven to work (You know, boxing, wrestling, etc), then applying Aikido principles becomes easier, and if you happen to screw up, you have something to fall back on.

I mean, 90% of Aikido guys don't even know how to throw a proper punch, they the bread and butter of Aikido is capturing a punch and throwing the guy.

PL

Comment

aikido is pretty effective but not as technical in my opinion as classical jiu jitsu (japanese), problem with jjj unlike aikido is it doesnt have standup randori to experiment under full rpessure the standing arm and joint locks. Aikido is more free flowing but spontanous in their standing randori. jjj is basically bjj but standing up, if you take a real jjj class youll feel the incredible pain in your nerves or often entire arm or side with their locks and an expert can switch them one from another and pull them off before you can pull your arm back or know what happened.

Comment

In a completely scientific survey I've found that less than one percent of aikido schools incorporate unscripted randori (in the judo/sparring sense). JJJ operating at a slightly higher level with the growth of sport juijitsu competitions.

Unless the school he is thinking of is a complete anomoly he is going to be disapointed.

Comment

I did a search but came empety handed, ..... is Aikido effective? .....

A guy that's been a member since Dec 2003, and has over 869 posts, is asking a question like this????

Sounds like a toll job to me.

Comment

i wont say that aikido is not effective, because that isn't true. it can be more effective than bjj in some scenarios. example: if an aikido guy gets attacked by a guy with a knife he will probably get cut a lot in the arms, lose a couple of fingers or get stabbed. a bjj guy will fall to guard, and get castrated.

if you doubt how effective your art is, find a different one, or cross train to become a more efficient martial artist.

Comment

From my experience (handful of Aikido classes) it's got some good things to take away from it. I don't think I could ever really use it in a fight, but it's a cool way to gain a better understanding of how the bodyworks, look at things from a different perspective, and even walk away with a few cool tricks =P

Comment

Yah but if your'e just going to get a few cool tricks then at least go to ninja school. There you can learn to leap over fences and cars. Throw stars and turn into a puff of smoke while a log takes your place.

Now those are cool tricks!

Comment

It seems fairly legit, though my question is, is Aikido effective? Is it something I could use practically in a fight?

I used to train with an aikido (hard)/shotokan stylist, he told me it took roughly ten years for the aikido system to be used effectively. If this is true, are you willing to wait that long?

The instructor recommend that I stop doing Karate if I where to join because the two arts would contridict themself ect...
                              As I stated, my training partner took both aikido and shotokan...

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X