Fairly good example of what wing chun looks like

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fairly good example of what wing chun looks like

Of course, this is not against a fully resisting opponent. but it is a good look into some of the type of moves wing chun does.

i know im askin for it but here goes, there is forms in the beginning, then drills:

http://www.meihua.ee/video/wtcf.wmv

his elbows must hurt, he hyperextends everytime i thrust his arm out.

sad that he doesnt have enough respect for his training partners to put a thin mat down.

id like to see his reaction when the opponent starts swinging back! :) :)
    Last edited by tekki420; 3/30/2005 10:53am, .

Comment

I think that most people here are already familiar with wing chun.
      Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

Comment

Originally posted by Wounded Ronin
        I think that most people here are already familiar with wing chun.
        im sure they are, i just thought this was a decent vid. and wanted to post it. i have seen a ton of videos on the net, and thought this one had a bit of what the rest lack.

Comment

Oh, okay. Well, I hope you had fun, then.

I actually did wing chun for a few months, myself. I think the instructor was pretty good, as he also did thai and BJJ. However, I quit because I didn't really get along with the system.
          Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

Comment

The best part is when the 'opponent' is in a standing clinch and taps out on the dude's arm, and the dude still elbows him a second later.
            *Take that bitch!*

Is that how you play chi sao?
            "It does not matter who the master is. It does not matter what the face looks like. The masters are of the Qimen school of qigong/meditation which is related to Zen. The master wears white robes, and the predecessor master wears bright gold robes. The qimen school travels the univers and is not restricted to what paradise they live in. It has many masters" -Serious Harm

Comment

Is it really necessary to kick the (downed) opponent in the head until he dies or turns into a vegetable? And do those punches really work? I don't have that much experience in MA so I don't know. It seems to me like they're really fast but really ineffective.

By the way, the response to the bearhug from behind is largely the same as in KM, except that we lower our weight so that we won't get lifted as easily, and we don't kill the attacker.

Comment

Apparently fighting people pisses this guy off so much that if he gets someone on the ground, he has to kick him to death.

Very Cobra Kai of him.
                "It does not matter who the master is. It does not matter what the face looks like. The masters are of the Qimen school of qigong/meditation which is related to Zen. The master wears white robes, and the predecessor master wears bright gold robes. The qimen school travels the univers and is not restricted to what paradise they live in. It has many masters" -Serious Harm

Comment

Remember it is a demo video. So, the blitz looks really cool to a complete newbie to MA. Watch the attacker. Now, training wise it is okay to go slow and work up your speed. Be realistic though, how many punchers (Boxers, MT, KF Karate, etc) do a single punch and leave it hanging out like that? How many GNP have you ever seen where they throw one huge haymaker staright at the head? That is the dreaded anti-grapple. I love the acting egads he hit me in the throat I'm going to grab my face and nose.

Comment

Well, trying to be as fast as you can doesnt impress me as much as it does when there's power involved. For instance, Ali impressed the hell out of me with the speed AND power he had in his jab. All those chain punches he did once he knocked his opponent to the ground looked as if they had zero ass behind them.

Everything else on the standup I thought was pretty good (I liked the elbows), but it goes the same on the feet as well. If someone's punching at me fast, I dont care if Im trying to grab them. I know Im getting hit when I come in to close the distance- its the power they hit me with that makes me rethink whether I want to continue the attempt to clinch, or back out.

The mount techniques were atrocious- why do people insist on trying to attack from the bottom of the mount? His guard technique where he traps the arm and chops the neck I dont see as being very practical- its hard to trade punches with anyone when you're on the bottom, and it didnt seem like one would have lot of control over the arm he attempted to trap.

The other one where he slipped the punch and went for an arm triangle/going for the back/ sweeping to mount was fine though, but I wonder if his student was mimicing the shouts of oain, or if the guy was being a total dick and scratching his eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by grond
                      Apparently fighting people pisses this guy off so much that if he gets someone on the ground, he has to kick him to death.

Very Cobra Kai of him.
                      no mercy.

that guy tried to touch him in his special place. so thats what he gets.

this guy is trying to portray how agressive you need to be, and how far you should take the fight, if neccessary. over kill is certainly where he took it!

Comment

It looks like most WT style clips I've seen before, except now they're apprently doing dan chi sao and some version of pak sao.

On a side note, where do you train at lightninghands?

Comment

i train at a few places, Right now,
                          the wing chun i study is at a small kwoon in danbury CT, the other is at practical self defense training center in Waterbury CT.
                          Kali, and Kun tao at this school.

Comment

He seems very stiff and rigid (but that seems typical of yip mans stuff from what i've seen) and does appear to over-extend some strikes.
                            Some of the chi sao was good.
                            His rabbit-like chain punches are the kind shit that gives wing chun a bad name.
                            Thats just one (poor, imo) interpetation of wing chun style punching. Not that any wc type punches are going to start knocking people the fuck out on a regular basis any time soon, but they should have a lot more kinetic energy than that...

Comment

The guy knows his drills but it is virtually impossible to judge his fighting ability.
                              And yes, attacking from under the mount is silly (did he poke that guys nostrill there??:)).
                              Also, why do these "opponents" always choose to cover their face with their hands?

Tomas
                              Current stage of death: denial

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X