Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fairly good example of what wing chun looks like

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #46
    Originally posted by PO9
    theu guy from this vid and the bujinkan vid should fight
    I think you could superimpose the vids, leave space between the two so there was no contact and you'd have a reasonable representation.

    Comment


      #47
      i liked the part in the form where he does double bong saos again and again... it looks like hes swimming

      Comment


        #48
        you guys should check out some of the other videos on that site, they are pretty fun to watch as well. esp. the stuff where they are fighting in the ring with int he school.

        http://www.meihua.ee/index2.php?file=video

        check out the first one that says "koong Sao (new)"

        These guys are a prime example of what some one said before, going crazy.
        they all look pretty young too.

        none of them know about only punching when you can hit the guy.
        this kind of training would be a lawsuit waiting to happen, if it were in the usa.
        please note that! in the states, we have legalities looming if we go too. interesting to watch what they can get away with.

        Comment


          #49
          Originally posted by Dochter
          Did we watch the same video?
          No indication of live training was given in that video.
          Unless by realistic you mean hitting a guy during a drill, in a manner inconsistent with that drill.
          I guess I'll be realistic tonight and start G-n-Ping from the guard tonight, even though we're only grappling.
          Uh, no. Not the same video. The video referenced is a cheesy display of WCK forms + cooperating demos trying to look tough.

          What I'm referencing is that that particular WC school trains realistically and has representative clips of doing so up on their web site.

          Here's an example:
          http://www.meihua.ee/video/fights_november_2004.wmv

          Comment


            #50
            Originally posted by lightninghands
            you guys should check out some of the other videos on that site, they are pretty fun to watch as well. esp. the stuff where they are fighting in the ring with int he school.

            http://www.meihua.ee/index2.php?file=video

            check out the first one that says "koong Sao (new)"

            These guys are a prime example of what some one said before, going crazy.
            they all look pretty young too.

            none of them know about only punching when you can hit the guy.
            this kind of training would be a lawsuit waiting to happen, if it were in the usa.
            please note that! in the states, we have legalities looming if we go too. interesting to watch what they can get away with.
            I agree they are pretty raw and the skill level is not extremely high. However, compare that video with some of Bullshido's throwdowns. There is an element of realistic resistance that is important in both, and they aren't too far apart.

            That element is missing from most WC schools.

            Comment


              #51
              Oh, man... those WC practitioners seem like psychotic nutjobs with anger management problems. They're fighting in the ring, yet when a guy is thrown out of the ring the other fighter keeps kicking. When the guy climbs back in, the other starts pounding on him before he is even ready. If you're going to practise haRdCore StreEtFighTing then why bother with a ring? And from the looks of it, it seems like they weren't even in agreement about the rules of the fight.

              I don't know, it all just seems very stupid.

              Comment


                #52
                finally some wing chun that has some credibility and people still bitch... how wonderful.

                Comment


                  #53
                  Originally posted by tekki420
                  finally some wing chun that has some credibility and people still bitch... how wonderful.
                  I'm not involved in the wing chun debate over here. I'm just saying that the pracititioners seem like nutjobs.

                  Comment


                    #54
                    i'm finding myself aroused by all of this........ should i?

                    Comment


                      #55
                      Credability? Those videos showed Knees working (muay thai) and when it goes to the ground, positional dominance (Bjj) working. Their stand up looked like utter-shit, and even pure instincts are better than knowing wing chun. Please watch the videos before saying somethign stupid again.

                      Comment


                        #56
                        Originally posted by Janeiro
                        Credability? Those videos showed Knees working (muay thai) and when it goes to the ground, positional dominance (Bjj) working. Their stand up looked like utter-shit, and even pure instincts are better than knowing wing chun. Please watch the videos before saying somethign stupid again.
                        The wing chun style has elbows and knee techniques in it last i remember. (just like muay thai) the problem is that they are not fighting for sport, they are just trying to bash each other. there didnt seem to be rounds, or a time clock. so that kind of thing does change the pace of the fight. you take any style and apply that pace to it, and it will make any "perfect techniques" look like a mess. i think those little guys are scrappers though. they do need some work on timing ( alot of work) , all they are doing is charging in and taking the hit. with any striking art, i believe the point is to hit your target, and not get hit in return! they must have missed that lesson. again a case where a silly video ruins the reputation of an art, oh well

                        Comment


                          #57
                          Originally posted by lightninghands
                          The wing chun style has elbows and knee techniques in it last i remember. (just like muay thai) the problem is that they are not fighting for sport, they are just trying to bash each other. there didnt seem to be rounds, or a time clock. so that kind of thing does change the pace of the fight. you take any style and apply that pace to it, and it will make any "perfect techniques" look like a mess. i think those little guys are scrappers though. they do need some work on timing ( alot of work) , all they are doing is charging in and taking the hit. with any striking art, i believe the point is to hit your target, and not get hit in return! they must have missed that lesson. again a case where a silly video ruins the reputation of an art, oh well

                          No it has that now. I'm not saying don't incoporate other styles. I think that is good but, don't pretend _ing _hun had BJJ positional dominance and MT knee strikes up until recently. I.E. before televised MMA competitions. Me and my cousin used to mix it up and he studied for eight years.

                          I hate agreeing with tekki but he is right. This is some of the better wing chun I have seen. That being said it isn't your traditional WC. I'm sorry but that looks like MT mixed with some JJ princibles and chain punching. I can actually dig this stuff more so than many of the other WC videos I have seen with the deadly anti -grapple.

                          Comment


                            #58
                            Originally posted by tokyo ranger
                            Is that so? Then why do you consider a bearhug from behind to be such a low threat that it doesn't even warrant a response?


                            Well you have to admit that there's a high risk of fucking up and getting stomped to death. And what if someone hadn't appeared and yelled at them? What then?
                            I asked if anyone has ever had a bear hug thrown onto them in a SD situation. I have not, but I haven't been in enuogh SD situations to make a viable statistical cross-section. However, it does not seem to me like an intuitive attack from someone coming up behind you with the idea to jack you in mind.

                            What I DO know about that situation is that I have been hit in the groin more than once from that angle, provoked by similar disagreements to the one we're having now, and it is not a strike that will drop a committed attacker. Maybe someone who has actually been bear hugged in an SD situation, if we can find some, could enlighten me as to what they find reliable.

                            Comment


                              #59
                              Answer this then. How come there are tons and tons of threads online bashing wing chun, its in-effectiveness, and its lack of alive training. Whereas for other arts such as Muay Thai, Boxing, Wrestling, and BJJ, there are little to no complaints? Surely something must be wrong with Wing Chun.

                              Even in the BEST wing chun videos i've seen online, and I purposely spent quite a lot of time downloading these fucking videos, I have not seen any good display of striking. They all look like the guys want to avoid punching each other and clinching, and then trying to poorly execute a head/arm throw or something similar. When they land on the ground, the guy getting attacked never shows any knowledge of grappling, but displays what I like to call CUIBS (curl up in ball stance). Not impressive.

                              I also have a video of a fight between 2 grandmasters of wing chung, I believe Cheung vs Boztepe. That fight went straight to the ground and the grandmaster didn't look all that impressive to say the least.

                              Also a real-life example: A friend of mine with no boxing experience put on 16 oz gloves and fought another friend who studied wing chun for 1 year. They fought, and the wing chun practioner kept coming in with his head down, and could not even hurt the other guy. He eventually got tired after trying to throw his punches (not to mention getting punched in the face) and started just flailing his arms. After 5 minutes, he just gave up and said that he will come back when he is better at his art. That was FUCKING PATHETIC. AT LEAST BE ABLE TO TAKE ON AN UNTRAINED PERSON IN A STRIKING ONLY ENVIRONMENT. IN THIS CASE, INSTINCTS AND COMMON SENSE BEAT 1 FULL YEAR OF WING CHUN.

                              Has there ever been a case like this for any of the 4 more practical arts I have listed above? No. A wrestler does not get taken down by a scrub. A boxer does not get fucked up by a wing chunner (oh i meant scrub). A bjj practitioner does not get subbed by a wing ch... scrub.

                              Comment


                                #60
                                Originally posted by tekki420
                                finally some wing chun that has some credibility and people still bitch... how wonderful.
                                That for me is credible WCKF but it is still fair way from being any good. It seems every person does one attack and then gets dusted.

                                Trouble is its all the often that it plays out like that people coming in swinging and trying to man handle you so for me I am not sold on it.

                                I think if they ditched the form stuff at the begining it would look a little better but I think the art is one that if you can fight before you take it up you might learn a few bits and do well and improve.

                                If you cant fight before you start there is a high chance that it will not be enough to turn things around?

                                Just my 2p worth

                                Comment

                                Collapse

                                Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                                Working...
                                X