No announcement yet.

Fairly good example of what wing chun looks like

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do I learn this kind of dancing? My liquid keeps getting served. :sleepy3:

Comment

You kick the guy tell he's dead (or unconcious) so he doesn't come back with a gun or more friends.....WT theory is that you should only fight if your life is in Danger, otherwise walk away. and seriously, people don't die that easy! are you saying once he's down he will stop fighting? I doubt it, he get up and come back or crawl over to try an ankle lock, run to his car for a gun, or something, so you gotta finish it.....

The Chain punch is effective because it attempts to rattle the brain inside the skull. A single punch must be very powerful to rattle brain but punches in rapid succession take advantage of the brain floating in fluid and moving at a different rate/ direction than skull. Also, In training you do not step as much to limit injury, but if you step with chain punchs they do generate alot of force.

the arm looks hyper extended but it really is not. The thrust punch is practiced so that all the force goes out in a straight line. Alot of people do a more chopping motion, like a hammer fist when they Vertical punch, and this force is down which will compress the elbow joint. WT beginers have to be careful of this but with safe practice it stops happening.

Lighting hands, do you do WC and if so does it look like this? Just curious....

Comment

Originally posted by Dr._Tzun_Tzu
        You kick the guy tell he's dead (or unconcious) so he doesn't come back with a gun or more friends.....WT theory is that you should only fight if your life is in Danger, otherwise walk away. and seriously, people don't die that easy! are you saying once he's down he will stop fighting? I doubt it, he get up and come back or crawl over to try an ankle lock, run to his car for a gun, or something, so you gotta finish it.....

The Chain punch is effective because it attempts to rattle the brain inside the skull. A single punch must be very powerful to rattle brain but punches in rapid succession take advantage of the brain floating in fluid and moving at a different rate/ direction than skull. Also, In training you do not step as much to limit injury, but if you step with chain punchs they do generate alot of force.

the arm looks hyper extended but it really is not. The thrust punch is practiced so that all the force goes out in a straight line. Alot of people do a more chopping motion, like a hammer fist when they Vertical punch, and this force is down which will compress the elbow joint. WT beginers have to be careful of this but with safe practice it stops happening.

Lighting hands, do you do WC and if so does it look like this? Just curious....
        DR., yes i do WC, it has the drills that this video showed, but we connect our shots with power in chisao. i know some schools of thought is that you shouldnt, but chisao usualy looks to pussy-like unless you hit the guy good. ofcourse we dont blast hard in the face all the time. but the trapping, and elbows are the same, i perfer a variety of elbows, rather than just a hacking one. upward elbows, horizontal too.
        the wing chun i do has all of those elements, but a guy doesnt fall to the ground unless he has been pounded and broken first.

the WC i do has an influence of FMA and indonesian Joint locks, controls. etc. so we close the gap, apply heavy striking pressure, go for a take down, or control, all while clawing, and tearing what ever is available, neck muscles, face, eyes, groin, flesh on the kidneys etc, we also bite (FMA influence). but if like the kicks on that guys legs, if we stomp i would take the leg all the way to the ground, with me standing on it. In the WC i do, we attempt to bring things as aggressive and as powerful as possilbe. but the largest thing we train is adaptability. so lots of sparring, and lots of chisao.
        Do you do WC as well? is that video similar to the way you train. ?
        Last edited by lightninghands; 3/30/2005 3:06pm, .

Comment

I think that's just a self-perpetuating fantasy that forces you to kick him until he stops moving, not because you're out of options. Yeah, it's really cool to use d34dly techniques to ice someone, but does WC have techniques againts prison gangrape (if you happen to live in the US)?

If the attacker is down, you can just run away. Even if he does get up and go for a gun, you'll be gone. By the time his friends arrive, you'll be gone. If it really looks like he'll get up soon, a kick in the ribs should do it.

Comment

Originally posted by tokyo ranger
            I think that's just a self-perpetuating fantasy that forces you to kick him until he stops moving, not because you're out of options. Yeah, it's really cool to use d34dly techniques to ice someone, but does WC have techniques againts prison gangrape (if you happen to live in the US)?

If the attacker is down, you can just run away. Even if he does get up and go for a gun, you'll be gone. By the time his friends arrive, you'll be gone. If it really looks like he'll get up soon, a kick in the ribs should do it.
            I guess it depends on the situation. If I'm able to escape after putting someone on the ground then I'll do so. If I'm in the position of having to defend someone else (wife or friend) or in fear of my life then I'll keep kicking until the person doesn't move.

Course, I'm still at the point of learning how to actually hit someone, so take what I say with a grain of salt. :)

Comment

Originally posted by amichaell
              I guess it depends on the situation. If I'm able to escape after putting someone on the ground then I'll do so. If I'm in the position of having to defend someone else (wife or friend) or in fear of my life then I'll keep kicking until the person doesn't move.

Course, I'm still at the point of learning how to actually hit someone, so take what I say with a grain of salt. :)
              Yeah, there could always be situations where you might be forced to do something like that, but training to do it by default? That's just stupid. It's like practising to automatically cut someone's throat when you're punched.

Comment

Um, I'm voting for the 'that guy is an asshole' theory.

First off, where's the mat? Every jujitsu and/or judo demo I've ever seen involves a mat, so why is he throwing people around on a hardwood gym floor for a *demo*? That's just needlessly cruel. On the flip side, he doesn't actually throw anyone; his opponents just sort of slouch and lie down for him.

Second, yeah, the rabbit punches suck, especially as this guy doesn't look like he has much of a chest. A 'rabbit punch' from a powerlifter who can put up 700lbs might be a bad thing to intercept with your face, but from this guy, they look pretty harmless.

Are there any clips of him versus someone who is actually resisting and/or trained in something other than WC?

Comment

Nice reversal at 2:53.

Comment

the biggest problem with videos like this is that they are too choreographed!

i train wing chun, so im not here to slag, but these videos do nothing for wing chun. all people see is another wanker doing another dance with some student.
                    how many people do you know trained or untrained that will fall over and curl up in a ball because they got a punch in the stomach?

i dont know any.

if these people putting videos out want to show people what wing chun is, then they shoudl knuckle up and make a video of themselves in a fight. and dont give me any crap about the ferocity of wing chun striking - i have been training long enough to know that one can control the strength of his hits - if he/she cant then they shouldnt be training.

Comment

Pretty bad.

Very scripted.

I understand it's a demo...but everyone knows it is scripted. No need to hurt your students.
                      Last edited by Southpaw; 3/30/2005 8:19pm, .

Comment

I am sorry but I remember learning something like this the first day of boxing, aren't you always supposed to keep your hands up when striking?

Comment

lool
                          i loved it
                          specially the first part, where he stands stiff and does the macharena slow mo
                          and the last part: how wing chun not only has an excellent standup, but counters a well placed groun n pound. They should make a sequel called "_in __hun ground fighting vs gracie bjj"

Comment

The only thing I can really comment on is: Why do they cut away when he puts his hand in the other guys face? It's not exactly a fight-ender -_-

Comment

I do EBMAS, First Tech in Wing Tzun and Student Grade 6.5 in Latosa Weapons System....These video drills are all from the older EWTO program, we have alot more stuff than that now.

You just can't win on here :) if we show a fight video you would say, i didn't see any Wing Chun in that, just a bunch of punches...if we show a training video you say thats to soft to work in a fight. If you show a training video with a little pain, then the guys an asshole!! The only thing bad about that demo video is that the training partner looks like he is only 15!! .....

As I said, You should only fight if your life is in real danger, and if so you should be defendable in court. Since we feel you will fight like you train, you need to have those kicks be automatic, so when you think you have won a fight, then you always follow up with three more punches and /or three more kicks.

Say you throw the guy down or get a good punch on the juggular, solar plex or base of skull and the guy goes down......how do you know he is out cold? If he's not, and comes at you again, he has advantage cause he is still so close. You need to be striking still just in case and it needs to be automatic.....and if someone threatens my life, I wana finish it there, not stop it, and spend the rest of my life looking over my shoulder to see if he's coming back for revenge.

and so yes, the WT systems do spend considerable time learning the legal aspects of when to stop fighting, when you can fight back, what to say in court,....

OK, gotta watch that reverseal at 2:53 :new_silly

Comment

You just can't win on here :) if we show a fight video you would say, i didn't see any Wing Chun in that, just a bunch of punches...if we show a training video you say thats to soft to work in a fight. If you show a training video with a little pain, then the guys an asshole!! The only thing bad about that demo video is that the training partner looks like he is only 15!! .....
                                First, a solid sparring video would be just dandy, providing that WC is actually being used. I've seen a lot of 'hard sparring' from various arts, WC included, that looked about as skilled as a drunken brawl, with very little of the technique visible at all. On the flip side, I've seen some hard-sparring vids from Kyokushin and MT that looked very solid in the technique department. The Kyokushin and MT guys look prepared when they fight; the WC guys just look like they're going crazy.

So, it's not a matter of a 'bunch of punches'; it's that the punches look more like drunken haymakers than solid 'kung-fu' technique.

Second, it's not a matter of a 'little pain', it's a matter of proper safety equipment; it's needlessly trying to be macho, without any gain to the students whatsoever. Being thrown on a mat at full-speed still hurts; getting hit in the head by a gloved hand when you're wearing headgear still hurts. But you can, generally speaking, go home in the vehicle you came in, rather than a new one with flashing lights. Taking away the safety gear doesn't really enhance the training experience[1], but it can cause a hell of a lot more injury.

So, the guy isn't an asshole because there's some pain; he's an asshole for potentially injuring a 15-year-old kid.

As I said, You should only fight if your life is in real danger, and if so you should be defendable in court. Since we feel you will fight like you train, you need to have those kicks be automatic, so when you think you have won a fight, then you always follow up with three more punches and /or three more kicks.
                                No, you should GET AWAY if you're in real danger. Fighting will just land your ass in jail, regardless of who started it. Kick some guy in the head when he's on the ground, and you will go to court.

Say you throw the guy down or get a good punch on the juggular, solar plex or base of skull and the guy goes down......how do you know he is out cold? If he's not, and comes at you again, he has advantage cause he is still so close. You need to be striking still just in case and it needs to be automatic.....and if someone threatens my life, I wana finish it there, not stop it, and spend the rest of my life looking over my shoulder to see if he's coming back for revenge.
                                Have you ever been knocked out, or even been hit hard enough to get knocked down? You don't 'get up and go at it again', you go to the fucking hospital. The last time I even got dazed in a fight (took a jab straight on the nose), I was out-of-commission for about five minutes as I tried to figure out how to use my eyes again.

If I'm in a real fight and I knock someone down, you know what I'm doing? Getting the hell out of there. Call me a pussy, but I'm a pussy who is alive, and has yet to go to jail.

and so yes, the WT systems do spend considerable time learning the legal aspects of when to stop fighting, when you can fight back, what to say in court,....
                                Bullshit. So you have a lawyer come in and give lectures, or do your instructors teach you this? Where are their law degrees? My information comes from trial attorneys, who have been working in the California court system for years, as well as from cops, who have thrown people who were 'just defending themselves' in jail.

[1] Well, kind-of; at an advanced level, you should spar someone, or more than one person, with no gear, at least if you're training for self-defense and/or mental toughness.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X