Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BJJ stealing off of pro wrestling

http://www.abhaya.ca/video/twister.wmv

It's just a crippler, though a lot more complex than the original.
    SON OF ODIN

My Punching with Power article

BJJ has NEVER had ANY problem taking what is useful and using it, one of the many thinks that make it a superior system.

Comment

I'm not dogging it at all, it's a good technique. Just too much movement IMO, the original works the same and is faster.

And despite what a lot of people think, thats what the Bujinkan is about too, you can teach it how you want (which is both good and bad, good because you get some great stuff and bad because you get some B.S. out there).
      SON OF ODIN

Comment

Eddie Bravo talking about a twister instructional DVD someone release:
        Originally posted by Eddie Bravo
        He obvioulsy knows how to do the twister, but thousands of wrestlers do, it's just that none of them knew how to put it on submission experts before I came along. Cocky? maybe True? of course.
        He has always openly admitted it is based on the guillotine from wrestling, but he says no one developed it into a submission before him.

Comment

BJJ steals from everyone. Damn Brazilians. Thats why I keep my Mutsu Kuruda Kosappo Enmei Ken technique hidden.
          ______
          Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
          -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
          The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
          -Daniel Tosh

Comment

Originally posted by Aesopian
            Eddie Bravo talking about a twister instructional DVD someone release:He has always openly admitted it is based on the guillotine from wrestling, but he says no one developed it into a submission before him.
            The old carnival hookers used moves designed for submissions, and all anybody had to really do to tap somebody out with that was just apply enough pressure rather than just the slight squeeze you give in the ring so they'll have enough room to grimace and pound the mat for the show.
            SON OF ODIN

Comment

I'll be sure to let the zombie of Lou Theis know that Eddie Bravo is leeching his fame.

Comment

Originally posted by Koto_Ryu
                And despite what a lot of people think, thats what the Bujinkan is about too, you can teach it how you want (which is both good and bad, good because you get some great stuff and bad because you get some B.S. out there).
                :crybaby2:

Comment

Why in God's green earth would you bring Bujinkan into this thread? Are you really that stupid?

Comment

I'll be sure to let the zombie of Lou Theis know that Eddie Bravo is leeching his fame.
                    Not to mention Farmer Burns, Ed Lewis, and Gene LeBell.
                    SON OF ODIN

Comment

Its Lou THESZ you fucking dolt!!!! You will show proper respect to him. My god he chose to live out the rest of his life as a FLORIDIAN!!!! Now bow 3 times to his altar and crawl out of the gym for you are not worthy!!!!

Not to mention Farmer Burns, Ed Lewis, and Gene LeBell.
                      You are no worthy either!!!!! :eusa_naug BOSHI KEN TO KASUMI!!!!!
                      ______
                      Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
                      -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
                      The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
                      -Daniel Tosh

Comment

Back off Evil One

There's a Catch-as Catch-can guy in Bavaria who's got your number!

Comment

Eddie Bravo talking about a twister instructional DVD someone release:He has always openly admitted it is based on the guillotine from wrestling, but he says no one developed it into a submission before him.
                          Yeah, only about a few thousand sadistic junior high school wrestlers. The shit that goes on in the wrestling room when there's no coach looking. (Yeah, I sucked in junior high. I got better*).

Though, to give him credit, I don't know if many use the side head lock. Just work the back and shoulder.

Or were you talking about adapting it for submission fighting competition?

*credit Monty Python

Comment

Originally posted by dakotajudo
                            Or were you talking about adapting it for submission fighting competition?
                            Bingo.

This position is nothing new to wrestlers; that someone developed it into a successful submission for competitive submission grappling is.

Comment

I'm not dogging it at all, it's a good technique. Just too much movement IMO, the original works the same and is faster.
                              I'd suspect that's because he's showing how to make it work against someone who would be fighting on his back, as opposed to applying on someone fighting to not expose his back.

A lot of the moves looked like actions taken against potential counters - which is typical of a lot of ground fighting. There are times when you can't just jump into a move; you need to incrementally improve your hold and position. What you're calling complex are all necessary steps to ensure success of the technique against a competent and resisting opponent.

In my experience, it's not so much the teaching as the training. This illustrates the point.

Within the application of almost any technique, there will be points were a competent and actively resisting opponent will be able to reverse the technique.

Don't know if this applies to the above technique - but it kind of goes like this:
                              Say I try out a new technique during randori, and I catch my partners. So they go home and think up a counter to my new technique; on the next night they reverse me. So I go home and think up a counter to the counter, and I get them back.

Repeat.

What I see in the video looks like the result of such a process.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X