The credibility of Bullshido

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The credibility of Bullshido

I would like to make a small observation. I have only started to Post on this site to counter some of the allegations made by what often appear to be teenagers with little training in martial arts and no experience of combat. These people are letting the site down with quotes such as, "A friend of mine said he saw some one of ******* style do this and say that."

These sort of comments are based on little or no fact. If Bullshido is to gain some sort credibility as a source of information about martial arts it needs to rethink it's stratergy.

Instead of flaming styles that you have little experience of why not try training with different styles and then posting about your experience. At least that way you are not relying on a few video clips and a second hand report to base your opinion on.

Paul Genge
    Russian Martial Arts Northwest (UK)

Originally posted by Paul Genge
    I would like to make a small observation. I have only started to Post on this site to counter some of the allegations made by what often appear to be teenagers with little training in martial arts and no experience of combat. These people are letting the site down with quotes such as, "A friend of mine said he saw some one of ******* style do this and say that."

These sort of comments are based on little or no fact. If Bullshido is to gain some sort credibility as a source of information about martial arts it needs to rethink it's stratergy.
    You mean the strategy of an open disscusion without editing or banning?
    Or do you mean the strategy of prove it?
    Or the strategy of put up or shut up?

Members, even teenage ones, are individuals Bullshido is a community.

Instead of flaming styles that you have little experience of why not try training with different styles and then posting about your experience. At least that way you are not relying on a few video clips and a second hand report to base your opinion on.
    If some one says something in error by all means correct them.
    WITH PROOF - sources videos etc...

If you just want to rant because someone hurt your feelings you can do that on any forum.

Comment

Paul Genge
      I take it you have issues with the systema threads.

Comment

Well this guy I know says Systema is BS and from the video that I have seen I would have to agree. :lookround

I have heard some good things about it but WTF is up with the Jedi no touch takedowns?
        "The next one I will take will pay for my loss. Someone has to pay!" ~ The Axe Murderer

Comment

Sambo = maybe
          Systema = Hell no!
          :sex:

Comment

Every forum has them rofl.

For a split second I read that as "stra-tee-ger-ee." Rofl must be the Texas in me.

Sob no more flame wars :5wolverin

For some reason, "Genge" shot "Gringo Grande" into my head. Weird huh.

Comment

noe systema is teh win!!!!

Comment

So let me get this straight. If I see a video or flip through a book, post some negative observations about it on this or any other website, I am now speaking for everyone who has an account with www.bullshido.com? How do that work? I don't know about anyone else around here, but I only speak for myself. If I think ninjutsu or yellow bamboo or KCD is a load of horseshit that is being used to rip off the unsuspecting consumer, that is Vargas's opinion, not the opinion of Bullshido.com, Phrost, Omega, Asia or anyone else on this forum.

This idea that everyone on this board is some kind of teenager typing in their parent's basement is part of the same claim that everyone here is a MT/BJJ/MMA nutrider who does nothing but bash traditional martial arts and RBSD instructors. The founding members of this place, plus almost all the moderators, have TMA backgrounds, usually in a Chinese art.

As far as strategy goes, 'Highlighting Fraud and Bullshit in the Martial Arts' seems like the main 'strategery' around here. As it happens, instructors and owners who have had their credentials questioned have appeared on this board, presented their case in a reasoned, well-thought out arguement and have satisfied everyone that, yes, they are legitimate martial arts instructors who are not preying on the ignorant and gullible. However, a lot of folks have tried to rant and rave about 'trolls', 'internet slander', 'uneducated web-surfing teenagers' in an effort to hide the fact that they are peddling bullshit to the paying public. This latter tactic does nothing but confirm the suspicions that have already been raised. A school that teaches hard, no-nonsense martial arts doesn't have to 'prove' anything, they just invite anyone to stop by and see for themselves.

Bottom-line, if you can't take the virtual heat, stay out of the cyber-kitchen.
                "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
                "Shadow Box"

Comment

Paul Genge
                  Actually as sites go we have an older group in here not wannabe teenagers though they are here too just not in abundance. Your observation is extremely biased or you would notice people going down in flames for making false accusations in threads upheld not only by myself but other members trying to keep the integrity of this site. This comment needs to be kept on the thread you have issues with but just to make you happy I'll give you a link to several threads where people have been blasted for making bullshit accusations:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22017

and

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22592

And while you're at it read this:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22116

One thing I can't stand is a fucking whiner. You come to this site and you think that some of the posters are being unfair to you? If you're an adult and they're "teeenagers" deal with them instead of thinking you can run and complain to mommy and daddy. I can't stand fucking whiners with balls the size of salmon eggs. This is not a welcome to bullshido this is a get with the fucking program. If you are a true rep fro systema than stand up for them, in the end the truth will come out. Now go suck on your bottle.

Comment

We are all aware that there has been a decrease in the quality of martial arts. This has come about through the practice of teaching classes as a buisness and the fact there are very few martial artists who have ever experienced combat outside of either the dojo or sporting arena.

There are also various soke's and other martial arts frauds running around falsifying their qualifications and making things up to make a quick buck.

I have absolutely no problem with with identifying frauds or reviewing styles other than your own, but please be adult about it. If journalism is to have credibility it has to be well researched. Using the internet to check out claims of various groups and the clips they post on their sites is a useful starting point for any sort of investigation. However at some point someone must get some first hand experience. The problem is that if someone does this they seem to get heckled and called names by people with less experience in that art than themselves.

I do not mind if people want to say that Systema or any other martial art sucks. That is their perogative, but at least back up these comments by some personal experience and training with someone who knows their stuff in the art under investigation.

Otherwise this site will be the domain of kids who just want to shock by using profanity and name calling. This would be a waste of what could be a very useful forum for discussion and investigation.

Paul Genge

Comment

Originally posted by ronin69
                      I take it you have issues with the systema threads.

Or with the Toronto Throwdown Videos ... (your Participation excluded , of course :besos: )

Comment

Paul Genge

How about this, you post videos of non-Bullshido Systema in order to counter all the video of Jedi Systema? Furthermore, is there some weird disorder that afflicts the critics of this site in that they are unable or unwilling to see the obvious? I'm talking about the fact a number of the site's admins and moderators have backgrounds in TMA's but are called MT/BJJ/etc nuthuggers, or that they supposedly have ties to the KKK even though Omega's Filippino, and Asia is Black.

Forgive us for not automatically believing what you say and asking for something as simple as proof.
                        Originally posted by Newb1

B) I could not beat a Judoka with Aikido. I could only beat an Aikidoka with Aikido. I thought that was understook.

Comment

Originally posted by Reis
                          How about this, you post videos of non-Bullshido Systema in order to counter all the video of Jedi Systema? Furthermore, is there some weird disorder that afflicts the critics of this site in that they are unable or unwilling to see the obvious? I'm talking about the fact a number of the site's admins and moderators have backgrounds in TMA's but are called MT/BJJ/etc nuthuggers, or that they supposedly have ties to the KKK even though Omega's Filippino, and Asia is Black.

Forgive us for not automatically believing what you say and asking for something as simple as proof.

Asia's Black?

Comment

SHSHSHSHSHSHSHS !!! Dont tell him ! :new_cussi

Comment

Paul :

Do you have any Training Videos of Regular Systema Training Methodology ?

I mean , you know , where beginners work , or at least ppl that actuallt , umm , Touch ?

Im sorry but as Interesting as it sounds all I ever hear abvout Systema is about what it ISNT ... How it DOSENT do this and Dosent need to do this (specifically in comparison to IMA) , and just gets RIGHT to the FIGHTINGNESS of it all ... but how the heck do you GET there ?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X