MATA and "mcdojo"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MATA and "mcdojo"

I recieved the May 2005 issue of Black Belt Magazine as a gift.

On page 133, there is an advertisement for the MATA---Martial Arts Teacher's Association.

http://martialartsteachers.com

This is part of the ad:

"Are you concerned that gaining a few hundred students and earning a six-figure income will mean you have become a McDojo?"

I didn't know the term 'mcdojo' was so mainstream now...

Go ahead admit it....You bought it yourself I won't tell.

MCDojo is widely used especially by MCDojo's. It is funny when an instructor uses the phrase and all you can think is,hmmm that sounds just like us.

Comment

Gimic Central!

And if you want some real fun, check out this diet drug sold off their site.

How I Lost 12 Lbs, Grew Lost Hair And No Longer Needed Glasses To Read. Really.
      I'm not sure how they can possibly try to maintain ANY air of respectability with that on their site... then again, I don't think that was ever their intent.

Comment

It was a gift, really.

I never heard mcdojo till I found bullshido.

Diet drugs. You figure these marketing, sales genius types will cover every angle to get money from the students.

Maybe there is some merit in being organized, keeping good records, liability, etc.

Comment

MATA, only spammers worse are the new small cap stock people.

For some more comedy in that issue, check out the articel on knife defense where the guy demonstrates falling on your ass as a way to maintain suprise when attacked bay an assailant with a knife.

And for diet drugs, nothing beats the number of overweight, out of shape burger swillers selling Advocare in my town.
          "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
          -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
          -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
          -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
          -Don Gwinn

Comment

MATA = Bullshido :

:new_usa:

Comment

What is a good MA magazine?

Comment

I hear The Martialist is pretty good.

PL

Comment

Originally posted by Anthracis
                  MATA = Bullshido :

:new_usa:

No.....

Comment

Originally posted by omega
                    No.....
                    Omega - so what's your take on MATA? I'd come across the site (and clicked on the button to have Graden tell you some tip) before. That was my only exposure.

I remember there was an interesting story if you went down into the "forum" as I remember. Graden explains that he had started NAPMA, then there was some legal battle with MAIA (the trade group names you'd always see around). MAIA was associated with Century I believe. It had to do with NAPMA offering discounted karate uniforms I think and cause a stink with MAIA. Anyways, in some legal battle, they bankrupted NAPMA and MAIA took it over. So the two industry groups were actually run by the same parent company at one point.

So John Graden goes off and starts MATA.

I've wondered what value any of these groups bring to independent martial arts schools.

Comment

Originally posted by yasuri
                      Omega - so what's your take on MATA? I'd come across the site (and clicked on the button to have Graden tell you some tip) before. That was my only exposure.

I remember there was an interesting story if you went down into the "forum" as I remember. Graden explains that he had started NAPMA, then there was some legal battle with MAIA (the trade group names you'd always see around). MAIA was associated with Century I believe. It had to do with NAPMA offering discounted karate uniforms I think and cause a stink with MAIA. Anyways, in some legal battle, they bankrupted NAPMA and MAIA took it over. So the two industry groups were actually run by the same parent company at one point.

So John Graden goes off and starts MATA.

I've wondered what value any of these groups bring to independent martial arts schools.
                      *sigh fucking newbies:

:new_alien

Look this is the fourth time I've had to explain this in almost as many days. Mcdojo make for bullshido not. The two do not neccessarily equate to the same thing. You call them bullshido then let's here what false information they're spreading. If they're Mcdojo then what they do is water down shit and try to take your money. The two do not equivilate although they can be seen drinking coffee at the same table sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by It is Fake??
                        What is a good MA magazine?
                        http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...ight=magazines

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by omega

*sigh fucking newbies:

Look this is the fourth time I've had to explain this in almost as many days. Mcdojo make for bullshido not. The two do not neccessarily equate to the same thing. You call them bullshido then let's here what false information they're spreading. If they're Mcdojo then what they do is water down shit and try to take your money. The two do not equivilate although they can be seen drinking coffee at the same table sometimes.

OK, that I understand.

Sorry, but I didn't know if your previous reply ("no") was meant as an endorsement for MATA or what. I had seen your "bullshido vs mcdojo" comments before and they made sense. I had thought maybe you had firsthand experience with MATA.

As I said, I've wondered where others stand with the big industry trade groups. Some see them as purveyors of mcdojoism. Do those industry groups assist MA schools in some beneficial way (not being a school owner, I'm not offering an opinion).

Comment

Originally posted by yasuri
                              OK, that I understand.

Sorry, but I didn't know if your previous reply ("no") was meant as an endorsement for MATA or what. I had seen your "bullshido vs mcdojo" comments before and they made sense. I had thought maybe you had firsthand experience with MATA.

As I said, I've wondered where others stand with the big industry trade groups. Some see them as purveyors of mcdojoism. Do those industry groups assist MA schools in some beneficial way (not being a school owner, I'm not offering an opinion).
                              Truthfully speaking they allow idiots like myself to run a studio for a living. A lot of their suggestions are sooooooo grating though. Between me and Peedee we could get a stand-up comedy act going.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X