Attack from Karateforums!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attack from Karateforums!

Hey, I'm getting into some rather heated arguments with some of our friends over here at Karate forums. While I try to expose bullshido, I also try to be as civil as possible.

The current arguments are about BJJ vs TJJ

http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=18293

http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=18104

Feel free to give me your input as to whether or not Im sounding like a complete dick on these forums or if people are simply getting pissed that Im making good points.

Originally posted by Some douchenarbag on the forum
    Well, the Gracie family collaborated with the coordinators of UFC, in fact alarge part of the tourney was to ba a format to highlight and market BJJ. It has been discussed quite angrily among many groups that UFC's rules decidedly favored the grapplers. With rules of any kind in place it is unrealistic to count the quality of any style versus another, when neither are allowed to perform to their maximum potential. It doesnt really prove anything.
    I love how dude thinks that just because the rules were less restrictive, they favor grapplers. How were strikers restricted? Certainly less then than they are now, though the gloves help.

The problem with these kind of discussions is that it ends in everyone repeating the same thing over and over, and it never gets anywhere.
    sudo make me a sandwich!

Comment

Well, the guys on that forum aren't THAT bad. A lot better than the crowd of passive-aggressive chi-huggers you find on other forums.

Most JJJ guys are kind of weird. They 'know' all of the moves you see in Judo and BJJ, they just don't practice them (or if they do practice them, it's against a uke who is resisting maybe 40 to 50% against them). They are perfectly willing to train on a hard surface and just do everything on the feet. They also have this inordinate belief in the power of eye gouges and groin shots (which, of course, they never actually 'do', that stuff being too deadly and all). Like I said, very odd.

The other thing I noticed during my limited exposure to JJJ is how much they slam MMA, BJJ or any kind of 'professional' fighting. Apparently, if you're a professional fighter, you're a soulless mercenary who just flails around with brute force, while JJJ 'masters', who hate the idea of violence (yeah, I never figured that part out either), but when forced to it, use their incredibly honed skills to deadly effect, taking on 5 or 6 larger men with no problem whatsoever. Those guys definitely have some paradoxical ideas when it comes to the whole idea of fighting (You adhor the idea of fighting, but also happen to be an expert at it).

Now, having said that, there are a few JJJ places that are apparently just like a Judo or BJJ dojo. They ground-fight, they up-fight and they hit each other pretty fucking hard. I found a place like that in Fort Walton Beach, but Hurricane Ivan killed the instructors day-job, so he had to move out of Florida. So I'm training at a Judo place now.

Anyway, have fun with the 'JJJ is too deadly for sport' guys, at least you might get some good quotes over there.
      "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
      "Shadow Box"

Comment

Well, on one hand in the first linkyou do seem a bit preachy about BJJ, mainly because it seems like you started that thread looking for an argument and knowing you would find a silly one there. Of course, this has lead to some really hilariously stupid statements by the JJJ practicioners and I am enjoying it greatly!

It is clear however that a good portion of that board is wholly delusional and have never stepped inside a BJJ school and tried their deadly ninja techniques.
        Last edited by ravenink; 3/03/2005 11:11pm, .

Comment

Honestly, I think you are wasting your time. Whats your point with that discussion? They will not change their minds about things because you think you are making good points. A debate on internet rarly do that..

Comment

Originally posted by Vargas
            Most JJJ guys are kind of weird. They 'know' all of the moves you see in Judo and BJJ, they just don't practice them (or if they do practice them, it's against a uke who is resisting maybe 40 to 50% against them). They are perfectly willing to train on a hard surface and just do everything on the feet. They also have this inordinate belief in the power of eye gouges and groin shots (which, of course, they never actually 'do', that stuff being too deadly and all). Like I said, very odd.
            *high fives*

Hey, my first serious MA was JJJ! And, yeah, I was sort of like that.

Then later I took up judo, which naturally changed some of my opinions. :new_angel

One comment I'd add is that (as I understand it) JJJ focuses on standup grappling because that is considered the most flexible option for self-defense.

Also, I'd like to add a disclaimer that as a JJJist I had some misconceptions, but I wasn't as bad as some of the karateforums.com people, since I was lucky enough to have a good teacher. (He was teaching JJJ/RBSD, but he had been in the Marines at one point and done boxing while in the military among other things, so that even if *I* had some misconceptions, *he* certainly had a grasp on reality.)

Finally, your moment of Zen:
            Well this topic shows one downside of BJJ...it does not teach it's students respect, or humility for that matter...
            http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopi...44f1e92ded4b56
            Last edited by Wounded Ronin; 3/03/2005 11:30pm, .
            Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

Comment

I love the part where the guy started saying you were disrespectful. "umm... I know you're right, but I don't want to be wrong, so I'll just change the subject".

PL

Comment

That JeetKuneDo guy is a tool.

JJJ was made for war...I assure you it has practical application.
                http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=18104

Also, Gumbi's comments went whizzing over his head. He is confusing having an overall strategy with having a cookbook approach.

However the best fighters have no strategy in mind, they flow with their opponents.
                http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopi...r=asc&start=10
                Last edited by Wounded Ronin; 3/03/2005 11:40pm, .

Comment

For the most part JJJ schools are weird and do focus on the "deadly" techniques too much, that being said, I have a JJJ school and we train just like any Judo or BJJ school I have ever seen.

I also make it a point to continue my BJJ, so my school will continue to evolve with the rest of the Jiu-jitsu community.
                  Last edited by bushi51; 3/04/2005 2:53am, . Reason: change JJJ to BJJ

Comment

What the hell is Lima Lama?
                    I dork harder than any of you can imagine.

- Hedgehoney

Comment

Originally posted by that knob Angry Matt
                      But drilling technique is better than sparring and/or "scrimmaging."
                      Ok, that's our show for tonight. I'd like to thank the Fabulous Waltzing Mice and Nipsy Russell for stopping by. Don't forget to tip your waitress.
                      I dork harder than any of you can imagine.

- Hedgehoney

Comment

It's where you feed a lama lima beans, collect its shit, and fling it at your opponent.

Comment

Quote:
                          "Hey, my first serious MA was JJJ! And, yeah, I was sort of like that."

Ditto! Spent the last year and a half still trying to recover.

Comment

However the best fighters have no strategy in mind, they flow with their opponents.
                            That's sort of like the Marine Corps mentality and is probably why they're not exactly considered precision instruments.

Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

Comment

I'm allergic to that forum now. Many old sparring partners over there who I've done battle with on other forums.

I have a lot of respect for JJJ as a whole -at least in potential terms. Some of the typical moves can be very useful. But many clubs are crap IMO and many 'styles' place too much emphasis on standing small joints manipulations for pain compliance resulting in party tricks with little actual applicability to a real SD situation IMO.
                              You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
                              FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
                              Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
                              Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X