BJJ for Dummies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BJJ for Dummies

According to Amazon, there is a "Dummies" type book coming out on BJJ, authored by Carley Gracie and A.N. other. No cover picture or anything yet - but there is a release date.

Can this be a good thing? I don't think so.

Aren't there "for dummies" books on EVERY subject? I don't think it'll matter. Some people will read it and get their ass beat when they try to apply it, others will read it and become interested in BJJ, possibly starting formal training, but most will just ignore it.

PL

Comment

To be fair, the "for dummies" and "Idiot's guide" series of books are pretty decent. The martial arts ones in particular are strictly grounded in reality and there's a fair bit of anti-McDojo and anti-Bullshido advice in there. I was actually quite surprised, seeing how mass-marketed those books are, but there you go. On the flip side, there ARE sections on running a martial arts gym and attracting students, but I do suppose that sort of thing has to be learnt somewhere.

I think a BJJ for Dummies could actually be good. Fight some of the romo-phobia, dispel some myths.
      Rad ki was made up by adolescents. I do not know who created trad ki but it was not made by adolescents. your an ass dude, Im not being a little bitch you are, your past the level of a bitch. Your beyond Bitch! If im easting my time with ki and psi, then your wasting time to prove frauds, and all shit like that! -theoutsider

Kick boxing is ok, but don't expect do beat a man like Rickson Gracie with that. You need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan. -Emptyflower

The splits, how ever, have a few martial uses. Doing the splits for me, can put my fists in testical strike range.

dont ignore the Art for the Martial or else your just kick boxing

Yes i am serious, there are kicks that can block punches. we have them in Moo duk kwan.
      I want to learn how to use them in case my arm gets broken in a fight.
      what would you have me do? if my arm gets broke, not block punches? -sempi-stone

Comment

You know I tried learning BJJ from a book, but I kept losing my page when I got swept. It just doesn't work very well.
        Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

Comment

you cannot effectively learn BJJ from a book, no matter how well it is done. you need hands on ainstruction. A book could be a good supplemment

Comment

Originally posted by TylerDurden
            You know I tried learning BJJ from a book, but I kept losing my page when I got swept. It just doesn't work very well.
            Ah, you just needed to posture.
            And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
            X