Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I looked into those schools I asked about, little advice needed.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I looked into those schools I asked about, little advice needed.....

I checked out a few of those schools I was asking about and from what i've gathered:

Repectable Dojo's: Shotokan, Jiu Jitsu, Kung Fu, Kickboxing (maybe)
    Not as good dojo's: Judo, Taekwondo

If I could choose any 2 styles I would choose Muay Thai and Judo, I enjoy striking more but I don't wanna neglect my grappling skills, and Judo seems a bit more fun than BJJ and the like. I can't do either of those, not at a good dojo anyway, so which out of the respectable dojo's would be the closest to what i'm after? I'm considering Shotokan and Jiu Jitsu at the moment.

Also, the Kung Fu dojo is called "Hoan Lung Shaolin Kung Fu", I'm not sure whether that is a style of Kung Fu or the name of the school, could somebody tell me about it if it is a style?

1. What is wrong with your local Judo club ?

2. Yes SHotokan and Ju Jutsu are fine. ONLY if they do lots of hard training and hard sparring, none of that point scoring nonsense.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got shit on me !!!!

Comment

Dude, you already started like 3 threads on the topic of helping you find a school. You only need to start one, and keep posting in that one.
      "Prison is for rapists, thieves and murderers. If you lock someone up for smoking a plant that makes them happy, you're the fucking criminal." - Joe Rogan

El Guapo says dance!

Comment

Why don't you just go with what YOU like and what feels good for YOU, and forget what the rest of us think?
        "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Comment

Exactly.

Remember that its hard to assess if a dojo is good and worthwhile just by talking about it over the internet. Its most important to go there in person, see how they train and judge for yourself if its a good dojo. As a rule if they train hard and do lots of sparring - thats a good sign.
          Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got shit on me !!!!

Comment

If they have full contact sparring, then it's a good style. Just check to see if the instructor is good (teaches well, isn't an ass), and you're set. Don't get ahead of yourself with trying to supplement striking with grappling and such. Take it easy and have fun. If you get bored, you can switch to something else. I think I'll alternate between boxing and BJJ in a few months. One month of boxing, one month BJJ.

PL

Comment

I don't get it. What's so difficult about going to the dojo/dojang/school/gym and asking questions and watching a class? Is it that much easier to ask people who are probably thousands of miles across the internet who have no idea of where you are or what the place is like?
              Rad ki was made up by adolescents. I do not know who created trad ki but it was not made by adolescents. your an ass dude, Im not being a little bitch you are, your past the level of a bitch. Your beyond Bitch! If im easting my time with ki and psi, then your wasting time to prove frauds, and all shit like that! -theoutsider

Kick boxing is ok, but don't expect do beat a man like Rickson Gracie with that. You need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan. -Emptyflower

The splits, how ever, have a few martial uses. Doing the splits for me, can put my fists in testical strike range.

dont ignore the Art for the Martial or else your just kick boxing

Yes i am serious, there are kicks that can block punches. we have them in Moo duk kwan.
              I want to learn how to use them in case my arm gets broken in a fight.
              what would you have me do? if my arm gets broke, not block punches? -sempi-stone

Comment

Train for the right reasons.

If you're choosing a style or fighting system simply because it would appease some of the wankers around here, then you're training for the wrong reasons.

Why do you think I oppose training in BJJ? It's not because I dislike it - I actually like BJJ alot. It's because I don't wanna jump on this nutrider gravy-train that's going strong on this forum.

Do what you like and fuck everyone else's opinion.
                "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Comment

Hold on...Bad judo and good shotokan and kung fu? Kickboxing a maybe?

Now that I have that out the way, you need to tell us about the schools. What did you do in investigating ? I would assume that if you went to a kung fu school you'd probably find out the style they do.

If you haven't visited the schools yet, and talked with the instructor and/or watched a class, then you have no idea what you're getting into. Most places also offer a trial class. Most good places will do it for free, but don't freak out if some place you thought was good wants you to pay to join in. When you narrow it down to just a few schools, trial classes may be the best way to choose which school you end up at.

Things to report back on: style, sparring, pad/bag work, drilling, instructions, overall pros and cons.

edit: ignore redundencies with other posts in close proximity with this one
                  Last edited by Gypsy Jazz; 1/31/2005 12:37am, .

Comment

Someone, please, please, PLEASE, don't tell me he went to that judo class, saw no pad/bag work and hard contact sparring, and wrote it off as bad judo. It's so stupid I might just believe it.
                    Rad ki was made up by adolescents. I do not know who created trad ki but it was not made by adolescents. your an ass dude, Im not being a little bitch you are, your past the level of a bitch. Your beyond Bitch! If im easting my time with ki and psi, then your wasting time to prove frauds, and all shit like that! -theoutsider

Kick boxing is ok, but don't expect do beat a man like Rickson Gracie with that. You need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan. -Emptyflower

The splits, how ever, have a few martial uses. Doing the splits for me, can put my fists in testical strike range.

Yes i am serious, there are kicks that can block punches. we have them in Moo duk kwan.
                    what would you have me do? if my arm gets broke, not block punches? -sempi-stone

Comment

NO KATA!!!!!!!!!!! :(

PL

Comment

Originally posted by Poop-Loops
                        NO KATA!!!!!!!!!!! :(

PL
                        Ah I see you've brought your can opener and a fresh can of worms. For the sake of helping this guy find a decent school, let's not turn this into a kata/forms debate. There are already a few threads on it.

Very heavy emphasis on kata/forms along with no sparring, or resistence of any kind is bad.

Comment

Ah I see you take yourself too seriously. For the sake of our entertainment, let's all try to have a sense of humor.

Very heavy emphasis on repetitive points and no actual original points of any kind is bad.

Comment

Psssst....someone wanna tell this guy that there are no kata in Judo?

Comment

Originally posted by Gypsy Jazz
                              Ah I see you've brought your can opener and a fresh can of worms. For the sake of helping this guy find a decent school, let's not turn this into a kata/forms debate. There are already a few threads on it.

Very heavy emphasis on kata/forms along with no sparring, or resistence of any kind is bad.
                              I meant that the reason he discarded the Judo was because there was no Kata there.

PL

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X