X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mayhem
    If you want close fighting do WC.
    If you want mid range do Mantis.

But best to go check out the two schools you are deciding between and see how they run things.

In my (novice) opinion WC is more suited to shorter/stockier people
    Mantis is more suited to taller/lankier people (that look like a mantis).
    What the fuck are you saying boy? *smack* :violent1:
    Rad ki was made up by adolescents. I do not know who created trad ki but it was not made by adolescents. your an ass dude, Im not being a little bitch you are, your past the level of a bitch. Your beyond Bitch! If im easting my time with ki and psi, then your wasting time to prove frauds, and all shit like that! -theoutsider

Kick boxing is ok, but don't expect do beat a man like Rickson Gracie with that. You need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan. -Emptyflower

The splits, how ever, have a few martial uses. Doing the splits for me, can put my fists in testical strike range.

dont ignore the Art for the Martial or else your just kick boxing

Yes i am serious, there are kicks that can block punches. we have them in Moo duk kwan.
    I want to learn how to use them in case my arm gets broken in a fight.
    what would you have me do? if my arm gets broke, not block punches? -sempi-stone

Comment

Originally posted by Boyd
      Please don't insult grappling by implying that standing a foot away and slapping each other's forearms is 'grappling'. You're making it cry.
      I assume you're talking about trapping. That's not what I'm talking about.
      We do armlocks, headlocks throws and sweeps too. We just don't learn to fight on the ground, and we don't have nearly as many throws as an art like Judo.

Comment

Originally posted by Boyd
        Please don't insult grappling by implying that standing a foot away and slapping each other's forearms is 'grappling'. You're making it cry.
        Don't you know the Chi-sau is a THINKING man's pummelling drill and is a simple, yet natural application of the instrincally powerful principles.

Comment

Originally posted by Preacher Man
          WCN, dont you sometimes wish people would actually learn a bit about WC before slating it?
          You called me?
          That civilisation may not sink,
          Its great battle lost,
          Quiet the dog, tether the pony
          To a distant post;
          Our master Caesar is in the tent
          Where the maps are spread,
          His eyes fixed upon nothing,
          A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Comment

Originally posted by WingChun Lawyer
            You called me?
            I think he was referring to me. People's attitude to WC won't change until they see clips of a WC guy winning a recorded fight against a tough opponent who's got training in one of the more respected MAs. Which is fair enough as the only hosted clips in downloads show WC people getting the crap beaten out of them.

There's a clip mentioned in a couple of other threads of a WC guy beating some big guy from another style who throws an axe-kick at him in a tournament. I will try and search and get the link when I have more time.

Comment

Originally posted by wingchunnewbie
              I think he was referring to me. People's attitude to WC won't change until they see clips of a WC guy winning a recorded fight against a tough opponent who's got training in one of the more respected MAs. Which is fair enough as the only hosted clips in downloads show WC people getting the crap beaten out of them.

There's a clip mentioned in a couple of other threads of a WC guy beating some big guy from another style who throws an axe-kick at him in a tournament. I will try and search and get the link when I have more time.
              I remember that clip. It will not help your cause. A tall guy doing an almost slow motion axe kick, and the short WC guy doing a karate high block knocking the tall guy off ballance.

Tomas
              Current stage of death: denial

Comment

I hear that combat centres place is good. They also teach BJJ and kickboxing there.

Comment

Comment

That sounds like pretty darn good advice lukster, think I may just do that.

Comment

Originally posted by drummerboy
                      I remember that clip. It will not help your cause. A tall guy doing an almost slow motion axe kick, and the short WC guy doing a karate high block knocking the tall guy off ballance.

Tomas
                      It was as Wing Chun practitioner. The tall guy lost. He wasn't wing chun. That's good enough for me.

Comment

That sounds pretty interesting... here is the site http://www.ativa.com.au/
                        Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Comment

Bump: New site. www.advancemartialarts.com.au Im gonna check it out. Hopefully going to be able to attend the Bjj and kickboxing class on wednesday night, and MMA class on sat and free matt time on sat as well woot! Check it out.
                          Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Mantis
                            Prodigal, I would not waste my time with wing chun. Wing chun is limited. They tout this impervious blocking system, but truth be told, they don't have low gate blocking. What low gate blocking they do have is not wing chun.

In my opinion, Wing Chun is an inferior CMA, is not even a complete striking art and you are likely to be bullshitted into believing that you can kick people's asses.

Wow you need to do your home work and really learn WC because it is very effective in low line techniques and very practical ones at that. We block with legs Chi gerk or ji tek would be the techniques.

My advice is do wing chun but be very picky, I understand alot of what people are saying, there are many watered down schools and people that would blow smoke up your ass. My own thoughts are that you will find that true of many schools in other arts. You should always do your due diligence before entering any type of investments.

To make a long story short we block low line with legs and as for blocking it is more like redirection, but block if need be.

I would not take to heart what many people say in here about WC most have probably never took it and think BJJ or JJ is the tell all and.

WC will help develope your hand speed, sensitivity, reaction. Their motions are direct and rely on straight line concepts. It would do good to take these in and make them your own. Hooks are incorporated but are used in certain situations, all power punches should never be thrown out completely.

There are many apsects to fighting i.e. punching, kicking, trapping and grappling. Learn them all they all have their place. JJ only goes so far, and depends on the constraints to the situation, in a head up fight taking place in an open area... def go for it. JJ can be very effective. If you are in an area where you are not sure what is going on i.e. a bar parking lot, bar or club...Punching, trapping and kicking may be your best bet.

Choice is yours but I cross train and I am telling you that WC is very effective when it is taught right.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin
                              Prodigal.. BOXING.. LEARN WESTERN BOXING...
                              Canuckyokushin:

These women can do back flips right over my head and still land on there feet .GRrrrrrrr!

THAT'S NOTHING, I USED TO KNOW SOME 12 YEAR-OLDS WHO COULD FIT INSIDE A SUITCASE AND STAY ALIVE FOR 7 OR WAS IT 6 HOURS

Comment

Originally posted by wingchunnewbie
                                Wing Chun teaches footwork and kicks. Wing Chun incorporates sweeps and throws. Wing Chun _doesn't_ include any 'animal style' movements.
                                know your history bro, wing chun was based off the animal styles. bong sao is a crane, fook sao, and lap sao are mantis, biu jee is from snake.

its just an art of principles.
                                after visiting the sites of both of those schools. i wouldnt train in either. the wing chun one had a bunch of guys in japanese gi's, (not the chinese uniforms, mc chun look a like)
                                and the mantis school is probly gonna waste your time too. agreed that too much tradition and political ettiquette will waste your time. you need to find other schools!!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X