No announcement yet.

wing chun vs tong long

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would you say they are "better"? Sorry if that sounds rude or invasive, but it would help me a great deal.

Comment

* adapts cheesy stance*

Is your name Tong Long ?

Comment

Originally posted by Jekyll
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Aesopian
        I am growing more and more convinced that wing chun was actually created as a practical joke which has since gone out of control.

We need video evidence.
        Pick any WC video...

Tomas
        Current stage of death: denial

Comment

Prodigal, I would not waste my time with wing chun. Wing chun is limited. They tout this impervious blocking system, but truth be told, they don't have low gate blocking. What low gate blocking they do have is not wing chun.

In my opinion, Wing Chun is an inferior CMA, is not even a complete striking art and you are likely to be bullshitted into believing that you can kick people's asses.
          One Somali Pirate.

Comment

If you remember in one of the earlier UFCs, a Mantis practitioner named Joel Sutton used his awesome headbutting skills (which are actually a part of Tong Long) to bust his opponent open, then the fight went to the ground, where Joel used his awesome skills at avoiding the stream of blood that his opponent tried to use to blind him until the awesome ref pulled them apart. He won by doctor stoppage!!

Actually Mantis has (depending on the school obviously) clinching, elbows, knees, headbutts and other fun stuff. But chances are, most schools won't work on the above elements to the same degree as the average Muay Thai school (sans headbutts).
            Jaguar's MMA record
            pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
            post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
            - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

Comment

Where is the Tong Long school and WC school you are thinking about going to? Websites?

Comment

Mantis Demo. Drilling some techniques, I think.

http://www.mantismartialart.com/demofight-2.WMV

Comment

Better yet, listen to Tone Loc.
                  And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Comment

Originally posted by indestructible
                    Mantis Demo. Drilling some techniques, I think.

http://www.mantismartialart.com/demofight-2.WMV
                    Why does it say white crane in the background?

Comment

Don't know, but that doesn't look like white crane to me. I recognize some motions which look similar to the mantis in my school.
                      The webpage that clip came from is here: http://www.mantismartialart.com/
                      there is an english language tab to click on.

Comment

Originally posted by virtual_mantis
                        1. Mantis actually teaches footwork and kicks.
                        2. Mantis also incorporates sweeps and throws.
                        3. mantis incorporates movements from several styles like monkey and tiger.

The only reason (in my opinion) that Wing Chun is still so popular is because it's the martial art that Bruce Lee originally studied.

Wing chun has footwork and kicks.
                        Wing chun has sweeps and throws (kinda on the throw part, they're mnore sweeps).
                        And the local mantis guys are scared of us.

Comment

Originally posted by Preacher Man
                          And the local mantis guys are scared of us.
                          I always hear this, as well as the opposite from Mantis guys. I tend not to believe this anymore, since I don't actually see mantis guys running from Wing Chun guys, or vice versa. I've seen mantis guys hanging out with Wing Chun guys. IMO, it's generally a style/school rivalry that gets twisted and exaggerated into fear.

The truth is they are more alike than they realize. It's not about your lineage, or the color of your skin...it's about how much we TMAists hate modern MAists*, and about how much we all like old Shaw Brothers flicks...and of course, how we all (Wing Chun and Mantis guys alike) think Kill Bill ROCKS!!

*Jaguar does not actually hate modern MAists...in fact he fears them...much like the Wing Chun guys fear Jaguar, because he does mantis.
                          Jaguar's MMA record
                          pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
                          post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
                          - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar Wong
                            I always hear this, as well as the opposite from Mantis guys. I tend not to believe this anymore, since I don't actually see mantis guys running from Wing Chun guys, or vice versa. I've seen mantis guys hanging out with Wing Chun guys. IMO, it's generally a style/school rivalry that gets twisted and exaggerated into fear.

The truth is they are more alike than they realize. It's not about your lineage, or the color of your skin...it's about how much we TMAists hate modern MAists*, and about how much we all like old Shaw Brothers flicks...and of course, how we all (Wing Chun and Mantis guys alike) think Kill Bill ROCKS!!

*Jaguar does not actually hate modern MAists...in fact he fears them...much like the Wing Chun guys fear Jaguar, because he does mantis.

Hehehehehehe, yeah yeah. Seriously though a few of our guys have actually been beating up the mantis guys on nights out...so they do indeed now fear our deadly wing chun school. That and they refuse to come down and spar because 'they arent ready'......

Comment

Originally posted by Preacher Man
                              Hehehehehehe, yeah yeah. Seriously though a few of our guys have actually been beating up the mantis guys on nights out...so they do indeed now fear our deadly wing chun school.
                              AKA we wait until the Mantis guys are drunk, smack them in the head with a beer bottle, and then chain punch them to make it look like we Wing Chunned their asses. :boxing:

Just kidding.

Comment

Originally posted by CMack11
                                AKA we wait until the Mantis guys are drunk, smack them in the head with a beer bottle, and then chain punch them to make it look like we Wing Chunned their asses. :boxing:

Just kidding.

Yeah that about sums it up ;)

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X