X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

old school muay thai clips

very cool footwork:
    http://www.muaychaiya.com/page11.htm

the clips on the left are the unarmed fighting.

The alleged Free sparring vid is some sort of a pre-planned routine.

WTF?

Comment

The sparring didn't really look right to me. It was too jerky, almost as if it had been choreographed. And why was one guy blocking with the plams of his hands? It also seemed that whenever they were grabbed, neither put in much resistance and just went with it. Just a few observations.

Comment

what's wrong with blocking with the palms of your hand? I think it's more effective than damaging your shin by shin to shin blocking. Also more effective than the traditional shaolin methods of sliding your body back while your front foot stays in front of the body, or tang soo do than block with hand swings while in a clenched fist.

Comment

Originally posted by Gargoiel
          what's wrong with blocking with the palms of your hand? I think it's more effective than damaging your shin by shin to shin blocking. Also more effective than the traditional shaolin methods of sliding your body back while your front foot stays in front of the body, or tang soo do than block with hand swings while in a clenched fist.
          Because blocking punches with the palm of your fist is useless against someone throwing more than one punch, and against kicks you'll break your wrists or fingers?

Comment

I don't think you can break your wrist from a kick when you block their shin with your palms. Gainst punches in sparring I have blocked 2 or 3 full speed punches with a parry. Than you move, you don't stand still and let the guy throw more than 3 punches at you before you counterattack or move to his blind spot. There are other methods of blocking i use like putting yourforearms in front of your face but to side of your eyes so you can see, and moving the forearm into the punch (close to elbow) or putting your right palm in front of your face and moving your head back or to the side as the palm intercepts the punch, than you attack right away after one of his punches is thrown. But the parry 9demonstrated in this clip) is a defense common in many fighting systems including mdoern muay thai or boxing. Another unqiue defense I like to use is the elbow to deflect or attack incoming punches. Also elbow breaker by guarding your face with tip of elbow.

Comment

If you don't need to worry about breaking your hand when you block a roundkick with your palm, you don't need to worry about defending yourself at all, because your opponent is a fucking pussy.

Comment

you block downwards, you actually block the side of the lower part of the foot not the shin directly.

Comment

i dont even want to think about what would happen to my hand if i used it to block a kick from my instructor. something horrible involving an ambulance I imagine. that is a really, really fuckin bad move and one of the reasons why we make newbies wait a couple of months before they get into any hard sparring because that is a natural reaction for a lot of people who have trained in karate/tkd/whatever.

Comment

If i am not wrong those videos are actually the older version of Muay Thai,Muay Boran or something~~~

EDIT:Silly me,there is a title~~~
                    For reference:
                    http://crane.50megs.com/index2g.htm
                    http://crane.50megs.com/index2h.htm
                    Last edited by liuzg150181; 1/23/2005 5:51am, .

Comment

Originally posted by Ikken Hisatsu
                      i dont even want to think about what would happen to my hand if i used it to block a kick from my instructor. something horrible involving an ambulance I imagine. that is a really, really fuckin bad move and one of the reasons why we make newbies wait a couple of months before they get into any hard sparring because that is a natural reaction for a lot of people who have trained in karate/tkd/whatever.
                      Don't put TKD into this, not even WTF TKD players are dumb enough to palm block a roundhouse kick. Forearms, because we have forearm protectors, sure, that's used a lot. Trying to palm block anything else is fucking hand suicide.

Edit: Great coordination those guys have, though. The stuff they do with the two swords might be choreographed, but they're doing it at a decent speed.
                      Last edited by lifetime; 1/23/2005 6:18am, .

Comment

and against kicks you'll break your wrists or fingers?
                        I think that happen when I tried to block one of liffguard's kicks with my hand. Right before he almost broke my jaw ;)

Comment

It's thailand's "TCM" equivalent stuff. No, they weren't really sparring either.

Comment

Some martial arts train their forearms and hands for blocking strikes.

It can be done.

Comment

I like the crazy climb-throw-to-armbar in the sparring video. I wasn't sure that it was choreographed until I saw that.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X