McDojo or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

McDojo or not?

Is this a Mcdojo or not? www.karateacademy.co.za .
    I train Muay Thai and our gym is right next ot theirs, I remeber reading one of their ads that said you could become a black belt in 2 years.

Ahhh...at first it looks like your classical japanese karate school...nice plain looking studio, hard wood flores, looks like a shotokan or a similiar style...but wait..what's this? investor information? instructor college?

Those things are not good

"But some apes they gotta go, so we kill the ones we don't know" - 'Ape shall never kill Ape' by The Vandals
    Apu: "Oh! You have just been Apu'd!"

Comment

Not familiar with the guy, but it's difficult to tell these things from a web page alone.

>I remeber reading one of their ads that said you could become a black belt in 2 years.

It's one thing to say you could get a BB in 2 years and another to guarantee it. If he's guaranteeing (sic?) a belt in 2 years then I certainly call "McDojo"

>but wait..what's this? investor information? instructor college?

>Those things are not good

Oh...of course. A business trying to get outside capitol to expand and making sure the teaching staff knows how to teach well, maintain a standard curriculum and effectively run a business is certainly a bad thing <rolls eyes>

Edited by - kempoist on February 07 2003 18:48:09

Comment

Yeh, thats the problem, some people think any Martial Arts business trying to make money is a MCdojo.

You think Fairtex is a Mcdojo ??? Well, they advertise extremely, but noone would consider them to run a Mcdojo type business because they teach/train in Muay Thai.

Remember the time in the 6th grade where you got your ass-kicked by that 80-pound short-kid? Got BJJ?
        <marquee>Thai Boxing: Been kicking your ass since 1949.</marquee>

Comment

They do Shotokan. I have a friend that has done shotokan for years in the Pretoria area, Ill ask him about it.

Comment

It kind of screams McDojo, but you'd really have to be there in person to see.

It almost sounds like they're trying to sell me a car.

Comment

"but wait..what's this? investor information? instructor college?

Those things are not good"

And why is that you foolish ball of soup? Did you try instructor college and FLUNK out? You are a fool! You always sucked in the dojo, kempo was not your cup of tea. Your a jack of all styles and a masta of none! BELT COLLECTOR. I bet the guy would kick your ass! jackass.

Comment

Fear Factor, I've only studied two styles of martial arts, well 3, but that month of Shaolin Kung Fu I don't even count. What is your deal?

"But some apes they gotta go, so we kill the ones we don't know" - 'Ape shall never kill Ape' by The Vandals

Comment

I think the obvious concern about a instructor college is that they often lead to franchises which often lead to a decline in qualtiy in food service and taste, wait sorry about that I meant training quality.

On the other hand when you've got students who you've been instructing for many years who want to start teaching on their own they probably should go through some sort of internal certification.

**Oh my god! I don't wanna go to THE STREET mommy! All the mean crazy psycho ninjas pick on me and take my lunch money.**

Comment

LMAO @ the site, Karobics

"No other sport can do this better than Karate!"

so Karate is a sport now? well so it TKD then

A letter from Nelson Mandela, LMAO hhahahaha

this site is pretty funny, i don't know, it looks too happy to me......

--

There are only three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
                    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

[quote]Oh...of course. A business trying to get outside capitol to expand and making sure the teaching staff knows how to teach well, maintain a standard curriculum and effectively run a business is certainly a bad thing<rolls eyes>[quote]

And how do you get outside capital? Investors. And what do Investors want? More money back than they put up. How do you do that? By bringing in more students.

Yeah, I already here you griping "Well what if the studios rent goes up, or the intructor has a child, etc" Well those a different situations than blatently trying to get investors to put money down to open schools for the org to make money off of franchising fees and what not.

[quote]On the other hand when you've got students who you've been instructing for many years who want to start teaching on their own they probably should go through some sort of internal certification.[quote]

I totally agree there should be some kind if internship/apprenticeship that the instructor has to feel that the student is up to. Not have some made up college/acadamy with diplomas that don't mean crap in the real world that the student paid for with their money only to still run into a chance that they won't get a school of their own.

Comment

Total MCDOJO!!! No doubt about it. Look carefully, all the signs are there!

Comment

If they have good instruction and teach stuff that works, then I dont think its a mcdojo.
                          But since I dont know, I cant really say anything about the instruction.

"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind"
                          -Ghandi

Comment

>>[quote]Oh...of course. A business trying to get outside capitol to expand and making sure the teaching staff knows how to teach well, maintain a standard curriculum and effectively run a business is certainly a bad thing<rolls eyes>[quote]

>>And how do you get outside capital? Investors.

That is the point I was making.

>> And what do Investors want? More money back than they put up.

Ummm...yes...that is how it works. Wow...so far we agree.

>>How do you do that? By bringing in more students.

Again...that is how it works. But you say it like it's a bad thing when a school grows.

>>Yeah, I already here you griping "Well what if the studios rent goes up, or the intructor has a child, etc"

What the hell does that have to do with anything. What you're talking about is called operation expenses and as the school grows those costs are covered.

>>Well those a different situations than blatently trying to get investors to put money down to open schools for the org to make money off of franchising fees and what not.

I must be missing your arguement. Part of what an investor gets (regardless of the business...be it MA, Fast food, an auto shop...whatever) with thier investment is called licensing rights. The parent company sells those rights to the investor so the franchise can make money and grow. If the product is good and the marketing done well the the franchise grows and the investor makes money, if not...then the investor encats an exit strategy (usually selling back their frachise to the parent comapany), or the business closes. It's econimcs 101. Not some secret hidden conspiracy.

Comment

Kempoist;
                              I think what you're getting irritated at is the fact that these guys do things that you feel are okay. Others don't think so.

As a counter point to what you're saying. If outside investors invest in a school but they don't understand the nature of what you are doing then you are forced to change the nature of your product. Happens all the time in business. They have an instructors school. What are they really teaching them there? Running a business, teaching martial arts, or making sure the techniques they learned are consistant to everybody.

You are saying if the product and marketing are good then the business grows, but we know that this is not exactly true. Take the ATA for example. Excellent marketing can you say excellent product? Of course you can't. Marketing and product quality do not go hand in hand.

Is there anything wrong with an instructors school? Technically no. If the school is doing well who cares. People talk crap about Mcdonalds all the time. I don't see it losing revenues because there's always something else it markets itself as. So if a school becomes more interested in the money side than the product side does that make it a Mcdojo? Answer;yes.

Why should the school care if it is labled as such then? Sort of turn the negative into the positive. Who's making all the money.

There's this school here where the instructor openly admits he's gone down the Mcdojo route. He still has his own little group though where he can teach his serious stuff. Hearing him talk, he's half martial artist(fighter)/entrepenuer (sp).

anyway that's my 7 cents

Go away I'm talking to myself

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X