Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you recommend for a newb, Muay Thai or Kyokushin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you recommend for a newb, Muay Thai or Kyokushin?

I'm narrowing it down between the two.

The only problem is that there aren't very many schools around my area. In case you know of decent ones, I live in Northville, MI, zip code 48167.

The nearest "dojo" I can find for Muay Thai happens to be in a Gold's Gym...as much as I trust Gold's Gym, I'm not sure if they'd be a great MT place.

I can't find any dojo specific to Kyokushin, but I have found a lot of Karate dojos, one of them being the Okinawan karate club. However, I'm less interested now in the whole, "belts and ranking" system then I am with tactics, and actually sparring.

Competitions aren't a big deal, but I do want something that's pratical and spar-worthy. Of course, most martial arts are probably practical and spar worthy, but I also want something that's a little more contact.

I'm also thinking about TKD - however I'm too worried about a McDojo and just slipping into one of the more overgeneralized MAs out there.

Any recommendations? And is it true that the Thai army has a rigorous MT training? If so, maybe I should just enlist...

Muay Thai.

Comment

You need to die!!!!

Die now or we will never speak to you again.

You've been here how long?????

Place
      Go seek out give feed back

You are currently ranked as the puss that grows off the maggots ass after they've eaten shit on the evolutionary scale.

I have spoken I don't want to see another post on this for 1 week unless you have information on gyms.....

Comment

LOL !!

Comment

For history's sake, Omega was the very first person to respond to me! And promptly cussed me out!! Sweet!

I was asking for opinions stylewise. But anyways, I can't seem to find any gyms nearby.

Like I said, I have only been able to find an Okinawan Karate Club (http://local.google.com/local?q=okin...59402088567315) a few miles away, and a Muay Thai/MAs center about 15 minutes away (http://www.warriorway.com/class_schedule.html)

An interesting note, I also seemed to have found an Okinawa Budokai School, of which I don't know the difference (http://local.google.com/local?q=okin...51413412016233)

Comment

God, like this is a no brainer. warriorway.com dude. Unless you want to earn a karate belt this is the way to go.

Comment

Muay Thai, no contest. That is, unless you really do want to learn several KATA before learning how to punch and kick people.
              "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Comment

The karate links don't give much info beyond the location. The Muay Thai looks good but the classes are only an hour long? Seems a bit short to me but give it a try and see what you think.
                Dedicated to legs and the disrespecting thereof.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfwood
                  I'm narrowing it down between the two.

The only problem is that there aren't very many schools around my area. In case you know of decent ones, I live in Northville, MI, zip code 48167.

The nearest "dojo" I can find for Muay Thai happens to be in a Gold's Gym...as much as I trust Gold's Gym, I'm not sure if they'd be a great MT place.
                  Uhh...which Gold's Gym? Because I live in West Bloomfield.....
                  Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Comment

I don't know Kyokoshin, and don't want to seem to say anything bad about something I know nothing of, but here's my opinion-

ALot of the reason I do MA's is cause I think they are cool. And IMO I have found MMA to be more respected and highly thought of than TMAs these days. I also think qi practices are becoming more popular too. So the way I see it, MMA and qigong are more the future, and I think they are cooler than TMAs.

Comment

Originally posted by omega
                      God, like this is a no brainer. warriorway.com dude. Unless you want to earn a karate belt this is the way to go.
                      Omega cut me off at the pass. Yeah, listen, this is the easiest decision you'll ever make. If the gold's Gym you're referring to is the one in Wixom, and if it's still up (which I don't think it is; Gold's is being bought out by another gym), it's a satellite school of Warrior Way, which means you get unlimited training at both schools for one price and no extra cost. And if Gold's isn't open, no loss. Warrior Way is a great school with a large training pool.

And yes, Warrior Way is where Boyd trains.
                      Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Comment

Well if you go muai thai you'll never meet this cool looking dude at Budo Kai:

Uh, there's no Kyokushin anyway. I'd just stand up for good old KK training like standing in the corner while some guys punches your body for five minutes, but the tittle was misleading I think
                        "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Comment

You know what really pisses me off? The Warrior Way website had this incredibly badass picture of the Muay thai instructor kicking some guy's head off in competition; it's a beautiful picture, complete with Rocky-style slo-mo cascade of sweat. Apparently they took it down during remodeling, which pisses me off that much more now that I can't counter your picture of an acne-ridden Asian with a picture of...well, you know. An actual martial art.

Comment

Originally posted by serious harm
                            I don't know Kyokoshin, and don't want to seem to say anything bad about something I know nothing of, but here's my opinion-

ALot of the reason I do MA's is cause I think they are cool. And IMO I have found MMA to be more respected and highly thought of than TMAs these days. I also think qi practices are becoming more popular too. So the way I see it, MMA and qigong are more the future, and I think they are cooler than TMAs.
                            I just can't wait to see a 90 year old qigong master win a Pride or UFC Championship. Who care about steroids, its all about getting juiced on qi.

Comment

I can't wait either. I'll only live another 80 years.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X