Validity of a Black Belt in BJJ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Validity of a Black Belt in BJJ?

How would I go about checking the validity, of a BJJ black belt. This guy, Francisco Manso, say's he is one of the few black belts promoted by Helio Gracie. He then started something called Kioto BJJ I'm just looking for the validity in that.
    http://www.kiotobjjny.com/master-mansor.htm
    http://www.kiotobjjny.com/history.htm
    And this is the place I might be going to, since it's so much closer to me than the Muay Thai place I am currently trying out.
    http://www.evolutioncombatclub.com

Fancisco MansoR exists, and is a black belt under Helio:

http://bjj.org/a/people/mansor-francisco.html

Comment

mansour is an og black belt, you have nothing to worry about in terms of his credentials.

Comment

Talk to PeeDee...he has trained under Mansor.

He is legit.

Comment

I didn't realize BJJ had a 9th degree blackbelt rank. Belt ranks in BJJ are so seldom talked about I was caught a little off guard. Mind you, I don't doubt this guys abilities, I've just never seen that before.

MASTER MANSOR receives his 9th Degree from
          Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Confederation.
          He is now a 9th degree red belt (Master).
          Congratulations Master Mansor!!

Belt Rank: Red & Black Belt, 9th degree
          awarded 8/2003
          Web Site: www.geocities.com/kiotobjjny
          Instructor Lineage:

Francisco Mansor Helio Gracie Carlos Gracie Sr. Mitsuo "Count Koma" Maeda

Comment

You can see a semii-up to date list of people and their belt ranks here:

http://bjj.org/a/ranks.html

Comment

Originally posted by ojgsxr6
              How would I go about checking the validity, of a BJJ black belt.
              Run up on him and shoot a double leg.
              "The next one I will take will pay for my loss. Someone has to pay!" ~ The Axe Murderer

Comment

Thanks Darkson, I'll try that when I meet him. I guess I should thank the rest of you for at least trying to help me, you guys get an A for effort.

Comment

Thanks Darkson, I'll try that when I meet him. I guess I should thank the rest of you for at least trying to help me, you guys get an A for effort.
                  Talk to PeeDee...he has some very good insight on recent changes at the school and their overall quality.

Comment

Two of his black belts include Claudio Franca and Marcus Vinicius. Draw your own conclusions.

Comment

YrKoon9, I don't know who those people are. punchingdummy, I was joking, the info everyone gave me was very good, I just wanted to make sure that this guy wasn't a mail order guy. I figured that if someone claimed to be a black belt under Helio there would be a record of it, I just didn't know where to get it, but I figured the people here would know. Also I wouldn't be taking classes from there I would be taking classes from the Evolution Combat place. My Next step is to call and verify that the instructor there, Paul Coto is actually a certified instructor in Kioto BJJ.

Comment

OJG,

Where do you plan on going? When work dies down I was planning on joining the Kioto school over in Ronkonkoma. Probably around February March. After the NYC Throwdown and having 4 BJJ matches I so missed my old wrestling days.

Regards,

Raul

Comment

I plan on going to Evolution Combat, they have both Muay Thai and BJJ instruction there, it's in Massapequa. I don't don't know if you remember from the last time we met I was doing the Arango Style Karate. But know that I'm alot more fit, I'm looking for a harder style with Full Contact Competition. So I've been looking for Muay Thai places, the fact that the Evolution Combat school has grappling as well as Muay Thai is just gravy. Also they have a school in W. Islip, which is closer to your house. But I guess the Ronkonkama one might be closer to CA.

Comment

It's closer to CA and I may be moving out there in Ronkonkoma and getting my own spot. Any particular reason you gave up on Arango?

Comment

I plan on going to Evolution Combat, they have both Muay Thai and BJJ instruction there, it's in Massapequa. I don't don't know if you remember from the last time we met I was doing the Arango Style Karate. But know that I'm alot more fit, I'm looking for a harder style with Full Contact Competition. So I've been looking for Muay Thai places, the fact that the Evolution Combat school has grappling as well as Muay Thai is just gravy. Also they have a school in W. Islip, which is closer to your house. But I guess the Ronkonkama one might be closer to CA.
                              Were is evolution combat in Massapequa?

Where do they send fighters?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X