Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's it take to open a legitimate MMA gym?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's it take to open a legitimate MMA gym?

On the thread on restrictions on sparring and uniformity or style etc. over in the techniques/tactics forum Strong Machines comments got em thinking.

More and more I am thinking that what's needed to train good fighters is the right enviroment. I think it may even be more important than the specific skills of the instructor.

I also am not unaware of the common thinking that only a fighter can train a fighter....but you got to start somewhere. I also have noticed that there's a flaw in this logic because the MMA phenomenon is relatively new in this country and I don't think you can trace back the "lineage" of many non-BJJ fighters back more than a generation or 2 tops without getting back to some run of the mill Karate school that just decided to "get with the program" and adjust their training to try and put some people in the ring.

So what do you need to put together to have a legitimate program? I'm not talking about the details of forming a business. I mean talent wise. And it doesn't have to be all from one person. Like I can easily imagine a team effort being more effective.

Also, I am curious to hear how interested you folks would be in training at a place which offered maybe only "decent" skills from the instructors but had mats, a ring, good banana bags, and just an all around good enviroment to train in. Different kinds of sparring would be available from pure MT ro Sanshou type to pure groundwork to MMA. The only thing is, there's no big name instructors or professional fighters running the place. I'm not talking about "backyard brawling" type of random thing. Real martial arts expertese just not pro-MMA fighters. More of a club like the way a fitness club works or a boxing club than an organized school.

I have an obvious personal interest in peoples opinions on this.

p.s. truth in advertising for this hypothetical gym goes without saying.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

MMA is a sport, you go to schools with people that do well in the sport.

Legit MMA gyms produce people that do well in the sport.

Comment

They don't need to be big-namers, but brand is right. They have to be good at what they did. Small competitions, etc. They have to know things inside the ring...THEN they also should learn the details behind some of the drills from their coach. (i.e. from a coach's perspective). Not some crap-ass "sensei-to-student" type secret...but just things that might have been overlooked when you were learning the drills as a student.

This isn't to say people don't start schools on their own and figure things out as they go along. I'm sure that's part of what my teachers have done. But just realize that your first few fighters should know this and be ready for some mistakes on both your and their part.

But you are right...a good environment and respectable teaching would seem a solid start to me. Not all the top Thai fighting camps can send fighters to Lumpini (or one of the other big name stadiums)...so they train solid fighters and trade them up to bigger camps. You'd be like a feeder school/camp (if you went to that extent).

Having said all this, the only people I expect you'd probably want to listen to here are those who actually run schools or have run schools.
      Regards,
      CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
      One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
      Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

Comment

paging Dr. Omega
        Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
        Scramble Stuff

Comment

bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills... (sorry, "mma skills" reminded me of napoleon dynamite :D )

Anyways, dont you think there is a differance between an MMA school, and a school taught in an MMA style? An MMA school would teach you some straight grappling, straight striking, then give you time and resources to mix'em (hypothesising here). It would probably be geared towards competition (and self defense would be covered because the goal is to train fighting B.A.'s).

A school taught in an MMA style would not neccessarily be grappling, stand up, then mix. It would be any style. You can have a karate school... but if all the drills and techniques are trained and geared towards MMA style thinking then you are doing MMA style karate.

Two differant things - just some thought, not any particular point.

Comment

hell you guys are way to picky...for me it is just a bunch of guys in nice shorts with eyes on their asses. bad boys just do it, not advertise it....lol

Aaron Fields

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron Fields
              hell you guys are way to picky...for me it is just a bunch of guys in nice shorts with eyes on their asses. bad boys just do it, not advertise it....lol

Aaron Fields

sorry... but wtf are you trying to say here?

Comment

Thanks CT for "getting" my question.

Originally posted by brandeissansoo
                MMA is a sport, you go to schools with people that do well in the sport.

Legit MMA gyms produce people that do well in the sport.
                That's a very cute answer which really dodges the question. Same to you Os. I'm not asking for a reccomendation on a school or help picking one. I'm looking at how these places get started.

I just recently used the search funtion over at MMA.TV to see what was in Los Angeles, a place that is supposedly crawling with MMA gyms and I came up nearly zilch.

http://www.mma.tv/schools/index.cfm?...etail&CID=1204
                There's "Tenshin Kai Karate"...hardly an "MMA school"
                There's several Gracie acadamies...also technically not MMA gyms.
                Scientific Wrestling...sounds like a maybe. Most likely submission wrestling.
                Gene LeBell and Gokor Chivichyan's Hayastan Another maybe but again, sounds like sub-wrestling to me.
                And then lastly "Freestyle Fitness"

LOS ANGELES and I got NOTHING specifically advertising MMA and only about 5 places altoghether (Counting all Gracie Acadamies as one hit) for the whole damn thing. Furthermore, about 3/4 of them are essentially grappling joints.

So where the hell are all these gyms which are specifically MMA? From everything I can find, MMA fighters seem to come from "ordinary" martial arts schools that must have special classes or something. Where's all the standup+ grpundwork mixed together as a single style?

And furthermore, for all you guys acting like your stating the obvious:

Where did the last top crop of MMA fighters train? Where did Bas Rutten train? The only guys I know of who came from MMA gyms are those who fought in Japan before the UFC. Anything domestic had to have come from those regular MA gyms who decided to modify their training. So how did they do it? And I also not NEARLY so many of you are devoted enough to becoming the baddest man on the planet to even drive from Glendale to Venice for the right gym. So what would be enough to make you smile just to know it was 10 minutes away?

And CT, the one pro who has talked to me about this so far is the very person who suggested opening a place up. The irony.

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Comment

Originally posted by supercrap
                  paging Dr. Omega
                  Absolutely.

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Comment

skills is only 1/2 the story ...

the ability to teach those skills well ... thats the other 1/2 ...
                    totoro-san ... world sushi munching champion ...

Comment

Originally posted by nasty_totoro
                      skills is only 1/2 the story ...

the ability to teach those skills well ... thats the other 1/2 ...

I would suggest that skills (in reference to teaching) are less than half the story... you could be the best MMA fella out there but if you cant pass on the knowledge/skill then you might end up producing phil fatmores and the like... skill is a must but teaching skill is a great requisite in an instructor... jmho...
                      "If you can get it from my kungfu grip then you can have it... otherwise... step off b*t*h!!!" - Meet the Parents

"Hetero or Homo I don't see anyone telling him, "NO SIR I WILL NOT TAKE IT IN THE ASS!!!" " - Asia

"My neighbor has what he calls an "immortality potion" that will let you live forever.
                      People have been telling him that it's stupid and will not work... for 1200 years." - Leodom

Banish Uncertainty
                      Affirm Strength
                      Hold Resolve
                      Expect Death - read in a book

http://uk.360.yahoo.com/shadowdh

Comment

Jking..

Tounge in cheek..(but I do think the graphics on the shorts are silly.)

Aaron

Comment

I can't see anything wrong with a TMA instructor just saying 'ah fuck it, we took this up in the first place because we wanted to learn how to fight, and the only way that's going to happen is if we really do some fighting'. As I understand it, that's basically how American Kickboxing evolved from traditional Karate in the US.

If he then allows and encourages his students to strike and grapple with heavy contact, does alive drills and encourages them to enter MMA tournaments, and is honest about what he hasn't done or doesn't know, then he has an MMA club.

You just wouldn't pay as much to train there as you would to train at a famous MMA gym that could point to a long list of champions.

Comment

That's kind of how my thinking goes and what I'm hoping is the case.

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Comment

This is what the average MMA school producing good amateurs is like.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X