University MA BS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

University MA BS

I attend Georgia Tech. I teach a MA class there twice a week hold MMA sparring sessions with anyone who wants to join twice a week. Aside from this, and our fantastic wrestlers, Georgia Tech is filled to the brim with bullshido MA classes. Case in point: a class which teaches "Jiukido Jujitsu" finishes up before the official class that I teach. I got to the gym a bit early and decided to watch what they did. They were punching at a candle flame. And everyone was really enthusiastic about the training method. Or would you rather try "Locketts Shinobi Ninjutsu" There are styles more geared toward tradition, but what gets to me are those that claim be teaching actual fighting-let me tell you: they ain't. And the lack of a boxing, Muay thai, or bjj class just boggles my mind. I mean how is it that Georgia Tech has Ho Shin Do and not MT, boxing, or bjj. I fear this same scenario may be occuring across this and other countries. Any suggestions on how to dismantle this crap and implant some good classes. I am already converting people from their style to a MMA format with my fighting sessions, any other ideas.

Hold a competition :)
    SON OF ODIN

My Punching with Power article

Comment

does the fact that no one would show up prove that they know what they practice is a joke?

Comment

List of OSU classes and clubs- not going to bother listing our wrestling team that trains about a hundered yards from the national wrestling hall of fame:

Aikido
        two Taichi classes, visited one, don't know anythin about the other
        TKD not WTF been with it for about 4 years now, I only have a few complaints, mostly it's great stuff, not BS.
        Karate club, very tight with the TKD team, train with it from time to time
        Judo, good bunch, train with them whenever I can.
        Kickingboxing & Brazilian Jujitsu (MMA), senior student, founding member ^_^

There is the ocassional crackpot, but for the most part we keep things under control, pure BS classes tend not to last.

Comment

Don't bother with the competition. The other clubs will back out saying that they are too deadly for it, or that "martial arts isn't about fighting"

PL

Comment

Any suggestions on how to dismantle this crap and implant some good classes?
            It depends on how bureaucratic your rec facilities are. The ones here are run by a bunch of lazy students, so if you try to start a new MA club, you basically get stonewalled. Getting mat time is out of the question unless you do it through an existing club, which is already limited in hours. So starting my dream MMA club is impossible, and the fact that Freestyle Grappling Club failed a few years back (the guy who founded it couldn't get consistent mat time) lends credence to my doubt. Bastards.

Anyway, if you can, start your own club. Post flyers. Tell everyone you think might be remotely interested about it. Even if they don't stick around, they'll probably at least tell someone about it and spread the word. Recruit the wrestlers. If they heard about the deal between FILA and PRIDE maybe their interest in MMA will be piqued if it hasn't already. I imagine the committed wrestlers probably wouldn't train, but maybe they could introduce you to people who wrestled in high school.
            Also, you might want to see if your univ. is on www.thefacebook.com , and try a search for martial arts. You might find people that way.
            Last edited by albert; 1/13/2005 6:36pm, .

Comment

one of my friends and i started a mixed martial arts club at our first school in 95. then a girl i went to high school got raped and decapitated right off campus...so the campus was buzzing. then the karate club put an ad in our school newspaper that what my friend and i was doing isn't good for self-defense and students that are interested in self-defense should come to their classes because their chief instructor was trained under fumio demura or something like that.

so these assholes used my old classmate's death to advance their own standing while talking shit about what we did. i was so pissed (as was my friend) we challenged them to a fight. i told their chief instructor that i would kick his ass standing up, then take him to the ground and beat on him until i got bored. my friend would then do the same thing to his assistant instructor, all in front of their students. the jackass responded by saying that ad was submitted by his students so he wasn't responsible, and then said that we couldn't fight because he was considered staff at the school. he wouldn't even fight if we classifed it as "sparring".

jackoffs. if you get the opportunity saku, fuck them up.

Comment

The ninjitsu teacher at my university turned down my challenge to spar. :(
                Then he found out later I had a really hurt wrist. :D

Raven and I did a visit but I wish not to think about it anymore.
                Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

Go no further than Melbourne Uni ITF TKD.
                  Because of sport regulations the WTF club and the ITF club share a common purse and name, but god damn they're a bunch of bullshido artists.

Their instructor is horribly overweight, an ex-student of my WTF coach who says he couldn't kick to save his life. Seriously this guy is something like 300lbs+ or something, he's a fat mofo. They don't believe in contact, so everything they do is non-contant, up-and-down the hall stuff. A lot of patterns, no sparring (their version of sparring involves waving kicks around without hitting each other. TAPPING SOMEONE ON THE JAW is taboo), and some dubious self-defence shit.

None of the students can kick with any sort of force because there's no pad, mitt or bag work in sight. Most of them aren't even flexible enough to lift their legs beyond the waist; one retard blue belt (who I'm convinced, really is mentally disabled) can't kick above his knee, and uses retarded ITF moves like a double punch that looks like a retard doing a Superman impersonation. Their fat fuck instructor had trouble breaking 2 pine boards with a reverse punch; he solved this by removing one board. Remember this is a 300lb mofo here.

Best quote I ever heard there? The instructor told everyone to do a forearm block, knife-hand strike, reverse knife-hand strike, which equates to one person waving arms in thin air while his/her partner stands 3 meters away pretending to block. Apparently, going by what the fat fuck said, "this move is good for attacking the neck region in a self-defence scenario". There's so much bullshido coming out of his lips it's ridiculous. The WTF club members are forbidden to join their training because in the words of their students, "we make them look bad".

And when a WTF club makes an ITF club look bad at doing kicks in the air, you know SOMETHING is wrong.
                  Rad ki was made up by adolescents. I do not know who created trad ki but it was not made by adolescents. your an ass dude, Im not being a little bitch you are, your past the level of a bitch. Your beyond Bitch! If im easting my time with ki and psi, then your wasting time to prove frauds, and all shit like that! -theoutsider

Kick boxing is ok, but don't expect do beat a man like Rickson Gracie with that. You need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan. -Emptyflower

The splits, how ever, have a few martial uses. Doing the splits for me, can put my fists in testical strike range.

dont ignore the Art for the Martial or else your just kick boxing

Yes i am serious, there are kicks that can block punches. we have them in Moo duk kwan.
                  I want to learn how to use them in case my arm gets broken in a fight.
                  what would you have me do? if my arm gets broke, not block punches? -sempi-stone

Comment

It's all about money. Karate and TKD clubs are popular and can draw students. The administration is going to allocate space to the largest club that attracts the most students and utilizes the space better. I have seen a MMA club at the college that has sometimes 3 sometimes 6 members. They always get the last hours if any time at all. Wrestling and boxing are banned. And if you bleed on a state floor you have to maintain strict guidelines for body fluid cleanup. Karate and TKD clubs have it made, lots of interested people and no bleeding.

Comment

Originally posted by saku39
                      I attend Georgia Tech. I teach a MA class there twice a week hold MMA sparring sessions with anyone who wants to join twice a week. Aside from this, and our fantastic wrestlers, Georgia Tech is filled to the brim with bullshido MA classes. Case in point: a class which teaches "Jiukido Jujitsu" finishes up before the official class that I teach. I got to the gym a bit early and decided to watch what they did. They were punching at a candle flame. And everyone was really enthusiastic about the training method. Or would you rather try "Locketts Shinobi Ninjutsu" There are styles more geared toward tradition, but what gets to me are those that claim be teaching actual fighting-let me tell you: they ain't. And the lack of a boxing, Muay thai, or bjj class just boggles my mind. I mean how is it that Georgia Tech has Ho Shin Do and not MT, boxing, or bjj. I fear this same scenario may be occuring across this and other countries. Any suggestions on how to dismantle this crap and implant some good classes. I am already converting people from their style to a MMA format with my fighting sessions, any other ideas.

Wow, and to think GA. State has a pretty decent BJJ program from what I've heard. I'm amused by the Ho Shin Do. I trained at a Ho Shin Do school for awhile and it was an interesting mix between SUPER Bullshido (forms with jump spinning hooks taught as self-defense and 12 year old black belts) and really awesome stuff (the first time I've ever seen BJJ). I'm curious which element you have there, as Ho Shin Do has (or at least had) alot of internal strife going on between the people that want to learn to fight and the people that wanted to look pretty. (hehe, the Ho Shin Do school was also my first experience with a DAMN good boxer and a good Kyokushin guy. Both of them enjoyed beating the hell out of me ) :)
                      Last edited by ravenink; 1/15/2005 1:28am, .

Comment

I agree saku, those who teach at universities (from what I've seen) is usually BULLSHIDO. I remember attending one of the Taiji Classes and the woman used the stupidest terminlogy, and quoted everything a book said to describe the "magic" in Tai chi. She had no real knowledge of it as a martial art or ANYTHING, but she would claim of these incredible mircales.
                        I also saw a guy who taught Shaolin Kung fu, and being a student in it myself I went to go see it. It wasl ike something out of a "cracker jack box" just BS filled with useless chinese terminlogy and incorrect, well pretty much everything.

But don't disregard traditional "ma's" just because of these quacks trying to make a quick buck off a university, most of these guys haven't even trained in their said art for long periods of times. Watch a class that is not commercialized, and with authentic lineage (which you almost, unless a very famous master, won't find online or in a magazine), I guarantee you it will be a much different experience.

Comment

Talk to the student paper about doing a little expose on the credentials of campus clubs. Esp. if one of these clubs is teaching lousy 'self defense' classes. People believe things they read in the newspaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Quikfeet509
                            one of my friends and i started a mixed martial arts club at our first school in 95. then a girl i went to high school got raped and decapitated right off campus...so the campus was buzzing. then the karate club put an ad in our school newspaper that what my friend and i was doing isn't good for self-defense and students that are interested in self-defense should come to their classes because their chief instructor was trained under fumio demura or something like that.

so these assholes used my old classmate's death to advance their own standing while talking shit about what we did. i was so pissed (as was my friend) we challenged them to a fight. i told their chief instructor that i would kick his ass standing up, then take him to the ground and beat on him until i got bored. my friend would then do the same thing to his assistant instructor, all in front of their students. the jackass responded by saying that ad was submitted by his students so he wasn't responsible, and then said that we couldn't fight because he was considered staff at the school. he wouldn't even fight if we classifed it as "sparring".

jackoffs. if you get the opportunity saku, fuck them up.

Dude, with an inflammatory ad like that, you could have potentially really ruined that club's shit by calling them on it, since you're talking a university setting.
                            Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

Comment

Originally posted by saku39
                              Everybodys comments thus far are legitimate, but at the same time you have to understand that these people aren't usually paying for the classes theyre taking (or if they are its no where near the price of an off campus martial arts school), most of them aren't even committed enough to last more than one semester. Do you really want the fickle, just wanna give something a try people to join your clubs? No, its a waste of time for you... try and concentrate on tracking down ppl who are really interested and serious about starting martial arts. Theyre college students, primarily there to study and get a degree in whatever field.

in addition to that, most college kids probably don't like getting beaten up or doing alot of hard work b/c they have enough stress studying and college ppl tend to be super lazy when it comes to physical training. Im at a tang soo do club at JHU, and we lose students after their first day b/c they don't like the hard training or the hard contact. because university clubs aren't a business and people aren't paying you, it stops being what you as a teacher want for training and it becomes what they want. and most of the time what they want is shit.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X