Sifu Anthony "I'm a Kung Fu Guy" Iglesias speaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sifu Anthony "I'm a Kung Fu Guy" Iglesias speaks

Sifu Anthony is the esteemed teacher of one Phil Elmore. Now that the PB forums are back up, he is once again fumigating his wisdom and getting some talk therapy for his short guy syndrome.

we don't train to fight other fighters. We train to defend ourselves against the lazy thugs and hoodlums who think they can victimize us.
    Might there be someone in between the two?

We don't square off.... we train to hit them when they least expect it.
    If you are assaulted, mugged, carjacked or otherwise victimized -- won't he be expectig your resistance at that point? What are supposed to do, follow him home? He'd be least expecting it the day before he robs you.

We finish the job quick. Am I training to fight a professional Muay Thai fighter? of course not. Do I like Muay Thai training? Yes... very much.
    Does this seem to anyone to be excessively specific? We don't train to fight this kind of guy, we train to fight this kind of guy. Strange. Can you really slice it that fine? Do you hit someone differently based on who they are? How can you tell? Would it be awesome if people assaulted you or broke into your house wearing uniforms from different martial arts?

"Hello, 911?! Someone just broke into my house! Well ... he's wearing, some kind of head band and shorts and some kind of arm bands. No, nope, not a gi. I know, I know, was all ready to use the anti-grapple and ... well, Murphy's Law, huh! OK, send someone when you can. Better luck next time, right?"
    I dork harder than any of you can imagine.

- Hedgehoney

more from Tony the Tiger

If you want to walk in and fight one of us don't expect a fair fight.... and don't expect to walk out in one peace.
    If you spell t3h d34dl3y wrong, is t3h 3xxxtr4 d43dl3y?

THIS is real life..... not sport.... not a game.
    Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

To these poeple i say this "Do you go around getting into fights as often as you can?
    Thought you did, Mr. Super guy masta killa mad dogg str33t fighta.

Do you tell the person you're about to fight the rules?
    Yeah, we're all doing that. Shit. Is my face red.

Isn't your primarary aim to NOT fight and if not then WHY!!!"
    ???????????????????

And most of the UFC fighters I met only fight in the ring. These are popele who have reached a level in their skills that makes them NOT want to fight anywhere else.
    I train at a gym with serious bad-ass people. I have no idea who does what when to whom when they're not there. They might kill, roast and eat hobos on the weekend. They might knit and volunteer at a pre-school. Shit if I know. They don't exactly confide in my, n00btard that I am. So I'd feel like an ass pretending to know what is in their minds. Especially if I was chief instructor of the candy ass wave your arms around and feel great about yourself wing chun school and wanktorium.

Again, why is this point so missed by the sport fighting fans?
    Got me. Maybe sweating and training make you stupid. Think about it, you little rhetorician.

- Hedgehoney

Comment

this is Phil's actually

Originally posted by Phil Elmore
      Only those who understand that responsibility for individual action begins and ends with the individual and who grasp the utility and the morality of individual weapons can hope to achieve success in self-defense in the long term. All else is evasion of reality.
      Kicking someone's ass is preceded by a written test? Shit, I've been the fucking MAN all these years and didn't know it.

You grasp utility, dude. I'm afraid of the guy who's going to grasp my leg and break my ankle.

- Hedgehoney

Comment

The point he's missing (likely on purpose) is that if you're purporting to teach someone how to fight, you have to... you know, actually fight somewhere along the line to see whether or not what you're learning works.

Sportfighters will almost always be more prepared for a real fight, and more able to handle themselves in one, than people who do not spar at all. It's common sense. You don't become a top race car driver by sitting in your driveway revving the engine and shifting gears with the clutch all the way in.

Comment

Only those who understand that responsibility for individual action begins and ends with the individual and who grasp the utility and the morality of individual weapons can hope to achieve success in self-defense in the long term. All else is evasion of reality.
          Wait, I smell it. That's irony, right?

Isn't this the same Phil who walks around both armed and in a state of fear of the homeless? Didn't he threaten to shoot a guy if they came up and wanted a challenge match?

Am I missing something?
          Last edited by Peter H.; 1/13/2005 3:25pm, .
          "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
          -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
          -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
          -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
          -Don Gwinn

Comment

For one, Phil isn't taking lessons from Anthony at the current.

for two, there is a different level of dedication required of those people who train for self-defense, for the ring, and for combat scenarios (i.e. war). People just looking for self defense don't want the intensive training that anyone going up against a pro fighter next saturday would do. And to say that they shouldn't bother with their 'lower impact' training because it won't help you take down a MMA proponent is kinda silly.

For example, I train in a lot of 'threat levels': hand to hand, iai for short range weapons, and target shooting and the like for firearms. Each is a different tool for doing a specific job. Obviously one of these is a far more lethal art than the others. But to deride a guy who is training a hand to hand art for self-defense because he isn't getting a CCW permit and a pistol is kinda along the same lines.

I know that a good MMA guy would wreck my day if I got close enough to him and made him angry. My aikido would most likely fall apart and I'd be in deep trouble. I don't believe otherwise. So you know what? I don't go picking fights in bars or clubs. But here's also what I know. If I know that there's a MMA guy getting angry at me, and I can't get away, I'm going to stack the deck in my favor. And if he gets close to me, aggressive, I'm going to cheat like a bitch. Mostly because I don't want to get beat down. I'm going to load my fists, grab and conceal a weapon, anything i have at my disposal. rocks, ashtrays, drinks, furniture, what ever it takes. And I'm going to do my damnest to get myself enough time to get the hell out of there. Call me a pussy if you want. I've been beat down enough in my life to know that I don't want it to happen any more.

I don't train to be the baddest. I train to be the best I can be. I don't need to test that in the ring. Nobody does. You all know when you're slacking in your training, when your diet goes awry. Yeah, eventually, I'd like to round out my training so that it's easier for me to deal with better trained people. But it's not the center of why I train. As far as self-defense goes, I simply don't have the need to be able to make a BJJ black belt tap, nor KO a prizefighting boxer.

And then there is the sparring argument. Don't pull it on me. I spar, i fight. I want to know that my techniques work. And i take as much punishment as i can handle before stopping. But I don't see the point in getting beat down or beating people up for others entertainment. So I don't train to that level. Just like I won't ever foreseeably need to snipe someone out with a rifle at a few thousand yards, so I don't train for that.

There's nothing against you cats that are crazy enough to do just that for shits and giggles. You all train hard, and that's the part that matters. I enjoy watching those matches, and sometimes stand in awe of some of the shit that you guys can pull in such environments when i can sometimes get it to work in the dojo at half speed. I just know that I don't need to know it that well, on account of my life being what it is.

Respectfully,
            Ray Nelson
            "Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent -- that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior."
            --Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Phrost
              The point he's missing (likely on purpose) is that if you're purporting to teach someone how to fight, you have to... you know, actually fight somewhere along the line to see whether or not what you're learning works.

Sportfighters will almost always be more prepared for a real fight, and more able to handle themselves in one, than people who do not spar at all. It's common sense. You don't become a top race car driver by sitting in your driveway revving the engine and shifting gears with the clutch all the way in.
              Don't try to tell me my extreme air-guitaring is a waste of time as preparation for becoming THE GREATEST SEXIEST ROCKSTUD OF ALL TIME.
              Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Comment

One of the greatest misunderstandings between grappling&sportfighting and tma's and rbsd folk is the perception of the amount of time it takes to become proficient.

That also is one of the biggest lies told in the MA world.

Train 4 hours a week in most MMA gyms and you'll tear 95% of the populace apart, probably within a year and a half. It's not hard and you learn fast when you're constantly pressured and having to keep people from seriously hurting you.

If something requires 7 years to become decent at it probably was worthless to begin with.

Comment

Time spent certainly does differ. RBSD people like to say that they can teach you super lethal techniques in a three hour seminar that can invalidate years of aggressive training on the part of an attacker. It's BS. Anything worth learning takes effort. Whether that effort is spread out over years or months is the difference. If someone hit the dojo (assuming a competent teacher) for eight hours a week and trained hard, they're going to be more badass than someone who fucks around every other week for an hour or so even if they've been there 8 weeks.

Training with intent, and not taking it lightly make a big difference in how many fights you'll be able to walk away from.

--r
                  "Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent -- that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior."
                  --Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Nelson
                    I don't train to be the baddest. I train to be the best I can be. I don't need to test that in the ring. Nobody does. You all know when you're slacking in your training, when your diet goes awry. Yeah, eventually, I'd like to round out my training so that it's easier for me to deal with better trained people. But it's not the center of why I train. As far as self-defense goes, I simply don't have the need to be able to make a BJJ black belt tap, nor KO a prizefighting boxer.
                    Self Defense can be taught in a two day, 8 hour course, consisting mostly of techniques for being aware of your environment and common sense principles. And you don't need to play "Asian Dress-Up", kneel, and call someone "Sensei" or "Sifu" to do it.

If you're truly training to keep from getting mugged or victimized on the street, most of the trappings of an average Martial Arts class equate to ego masturbation. Nobody hands out black belts in marksmanship, or pepper spray quick draw.

And then there is the sparring argument. Don't pull it on me. I spar, i fight. I want to know that my techniques work. And i take as much punishment as i can handle before stopping. But I don't see the point in getting beat down or beating people up for others entertainment. So I don't train to that level. Just like I won't ever foreseeably need to snipe someone out with a rifle at a few thousand yards, so I don't train for that.
                    It has nothing to do with the entertainment of others. It's about testing your skills in an environment as realistic as possible given legal and safety concerns. If you do alive sparring in your class, then nobody's criticising your training. We're just after those who think that training in static patterns without ever trying to implement the techniques against a fully resisting opponent (and not willing uke), is somehow equal or superior to fighting someone intent on kicking your ass.

There's nothing against you cats that are crazy enough to do just that for shits and giggles. You all train hard, and that's the part that matters. I enjoy watching those matches, and sometimes stand in awe of some of the shit that you guys can pull in such environments when i can sometimes get it to work in the dojo at half speed. I just know that I don't need to know it that well, on account of my life being what it is.

Respectfully,
                    Ray Nelson
                    "Traditional" martial artists didn't have the luxury of "not having to fight". Being jumped by thugs or criminals was much more likely 400 years ago than it is today. We're much softer today than we were 400 years ago, and consequently, many people want their "toughness" to be earned by punching boards and flailing at the air.

The majority of people involved with martial arts today prefer to pursue the illusion of toughness instead of toughness itself, and rationalize all kinds of reasons why they shouldn't have to take a punch to learn how to give one.

I'm not directing this at you (you've said you spar realistically, I'll take you at your word), but if I'm not mistaken, this Wing Chun instructor readily admits he does not have his students spar. (Chi Sau is not sparring, by the way).

Real "Traditional" Martial Artists beat the crap out of their students. They didn't go soft on them so they could keep enrollment high enough to pay for the corner lot in the strip mall.

Comment

Ray, something here doesn't compute:
                      I know that a good MMA guy would wreck my day if I got close enough to him and made him angry. My aikido would most likely fall apart and I'd be in deep trouble. I don't believe otherwise.
                      [...]
                      And then there is the sparring argument. Don't pull it on me. I spar, i fight. I want to know that my techniques work. And i take as much punishment as i can handle before stopping.
                      Why bother learning inefficient crapola that takes a long time to learn, when you know that it's likely to fail in the face of state-of-the-art training? If you're willing to take the punishment, as you evidently are, why not train, as you mentioned, BJJ or boxing? It's not like all those evil MMA guys sprang from Athena's forehead fully dressed in Tapout gear - most of them started out as clueless chumps and put in the training hours just like everyone else.
                      There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

Comment

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Beatdown Richie again.
                        And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Comment

His Wing Chun looks suspect judging by the videos. Still, it's not his fault William Cheung made everything up and taught it to his teachers teachers dogs hairdressers best friends beauty consultant.
                          Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
                          Scramble Stuff

Comment

The fact that he's teaching his students the Wu Sau as being held perpendicular to the sternum is enough for me to question his legitimacy as an instructor.

(It's supposed to be held at a 45 degree angle so as to be able to apply a Pak Sau to an incoming punch.)

Comment

It's supposed to point at the eyeballs to unleash an eye gouge without hesitation.

Check this - he does a flying leap before starting the dummy form. A FLYING LEAP ONTO THE DUMMY! priceless.

Standard William Cheung entry technique - flying leap finger jab, no joke.
                              Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
                              Scramble Stuff

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X