Wing Chun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wing Chun?

Has anyone ever found this to be effective?

Why don't people seem to be using it in the UFC etc.

There's already a HUGE thread on Wing Chun: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20232
    Originally posted by The Wastrel
    I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.

Comment

No, noone ever has in the whole history of the world.

Comment

I go to a Wing Chun class...but more for general fitness and fun...it is more art than martial in most cases. But with sparring, it can be effective in a combat situation.

But, if your goals are to find a real unarmed combat ART, there are way better alternatives like MT, BJJ, Boxing, Judo,etc. If you are serious about combat, look to weapons training (of which I know nothing).

Comment

Wing chun derives from female division grip fighting in judo.

Comment

Originally posted by Aesopian
            Wing chun derives from female division grip fighting in judo.
            Junior female division, that is...

Tomas
            Current stage of death: denial

Comment

I have to say that after I have spent over 25 years in Wing Chun I have found very little of it applicable to real fighting, much less in the ring. What is sad is that before I went more toward reality based training and Aliveness I was like all the rest believing that the WC could stand up against any street attack, etc. Well, in a way this was based on some of my fights that I won and gave WC training credit for it, but in retrospect hardly anything I did in the fights came from WC, but was just fast reaction and toughness coming into play! Granted, I too had Kali, Silat, Jiu-Jutsu, Goju-Ryu, etc. training to fill in a lot of holes left in the WC system. I saw the error of my ways after reading, considering, and testing WC against resistance in an unrehearsed or uncooperative environment. Now, for those that would say, "Awww..your WC just sucked." I would say that most who have had the opportunity to see my WC skills have claimed it "world class". Yet, it goes this way...so, I have an allegience to TRUTH and that leads me more toward MMA, Aliveness, and Reality Based Combatives training. I would say that if you view Paul Vunak's statement from the past and I am paraphrasing (no exact quote) he stated that WC is good only if you run into a WC guy. I say who needs WC? Sure the straight blast punching, low kicking is okay; but couldn't you find these things out by sparring long and hard over numerous hours? It just no longer makes sense to me. In fact, I retain only a few things that I have learned in my entirety of WC training. I don't mean to down the system, or teachers. But, if it is truth in fighting, or personal truth that we are searching for..it will not be found in a blind obidience to a style. Free your mind, clear all preconceived notions, and move toward truth in an unfettered way.

My point is that most people study WC because Bruce Lee had studied it..my reason at first. Most are pulled to it through the allure of the supposed skills one attains in Chi Sau and trapping hands. Oops, did I forget about clacking away at that Wooden Dummy(Who is the real dummy?) Yeah, like an opponent will stand there for you to perform the "hands of WC' upon him. Anyhow (forgive my psychobabble) no matter the reason...most people would quit if they took their WC stuff to a boxing gym and tried it in the ring, or went to a local wrestler's or BJJ school and tried to "maintain their centerline". I have matured up quite a bit since my WC days and will tell you I am more concerned with "saving my ass" in a fight. I always thought that centerline would be present in mind and that WC structure would be there for me in a fight. But it dissolves and I found myself doing stuff that would be more likened to just some hardcore, nasty streetfighting...and yes, most of the fights went to the ground(DUH). So, if you are a WC Guy I am sorry to prod your feelings...I just think you should really reevaluate your "arts" effectiveness" and be more loyal to your self, what really happens (as opposed to what some formula claims will happen) and free yourself to experiment and learn what really works against a real opponent that resists you.

If you think I am kidding, you are dead wrong. I suggest training in MMA and saving your money. Besides, who has $1200 for a Muk Yan Jong anyway...

Comment

See sig.

Comment

I was told how great wing chun was awhile back by a few people i knew and went and signed up. luckily, i had already seen some judo and so it didn't take me long to realize there was something really wrong with WC. I really tried to look at it and see what made it so great and why it was recomended to me, but alas, failure.

Comment

In one of the UFCs, Beneteau (sp?) completely destroyed a fat wingchunner, who didn't even know how to cover his head properly.
                    Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

Comment

There is no doubt in my mind that, Wing Chun is the most deadly and effective Martial Art ever created.

Comment

sometimes, i wonder if WC really exists at all, or if it is, in fact, merely a fantasy dream parade.

Comment

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Aesopian again.

D33rB0x3r killer.

Comment

Originally posted by Voice_of_Reason
                            I have to say that after I have spent over 25 years in Wing Chun I have found very little of it applicable to real fighting, much less in the ring. What is sad is that before I went more toward reality based training and Aliveness I was like all the rest believing that the WC could stand up against any street attack, etc. Well, in a way this was based on some of my fights that I won and gave WC training credit for it, but in retrospect hardly anything I did in the fights came from WC, but was just fast reaction and toughness coming into play! Granted, I too had Kali, Silat, Jiu-Jutsu, Goju-Ryu, etc. training to fill in a lot of holes left in the WC system. I saw the error of my ways after reading, considering, and testing WC against resistance in an unrehearsed or uncooperative environment. Now, for those that would say, "Awww..your WC just sucked." I would say that most who have had the opportunity to see my WC skills have claimed it "world class". Yet, it goes this way...so, I have an allegience to TRUTH and that leads me more toward MMA, Aliveness, and Reality Based Combatives training. I would say that if you view Paul Vunak's statement from the past and I am paraphrasing (no exact quote) he stated that WC is good only if you run into a WC guy. I say who needs WC? Sure the straight blast punching, low kicking is okay; but couldn't you find these things out by sparring long and hard over numerous hours? It just no longer makes sense to me. In fact, I retain only a few things that I have learned in my entirety of WC training. I don't mean to down the system, or teachers. But, if it is truth in fighting, or personal truth that we are searching for..it will not be found in a blind obidience to a style. Free your mind, clear all preconceived notions, and move toward truth in an unfettered way.

My point is that most people study WC because Bruce Lee had studied it..my reason at first. Most are pulled to it through the allure of the supposed skills one attains in Chi Sau and trapping hands. Oops, did I forget about clacking away at that Wooden Dummy(Who is the real dummy?) Yeah, like an opponent will stand there for you to perform the "hands of WC' upon him. Anyhow (forgive my psychobabble) no matter the reason...most people would quit if they took their WC stuff to a boxing gym and tried it in the ring, or went to a local wrestler's or BJJ school and tried to "maintain their centerline". I have matured up quite a bit since my WC days and will tell you I am more concerned with "saving my ass" in a fight. I always thought that centerline would be present in mind and that WC structure would be there for me in a fight. But it dissolves and I found myself doing stuff that would be more likened to just some hardcore, nasty streetfighting...and yes, most of the fights went to the ground(DUH). So, if you are a WC Guy I am sorry to prod your feelings...I just think you should really reevaluate your "arts" effectiveness" and be more loyal to your self, what really happens (as opposed to what some formula claims will happen) and free yourself to experiment and learn what really works against a real opponent that resists you.

If you think I am kidding, you are dead wrong. I suggest training in MMA and saving your money. Besides, who has $1200 for a Muk Yan Jong anyway...
                            Thanks for your post Voice of Reason, it's calm and well put-together. I've gotten the same advice many times before in my ving tsun class(about reason and effectiveness). My sifu is constantly telling us that to really know whether your kungfu works or not, you have to test it outside of class. He also says that the goal of training is to master the system, not to let it master you(i.e. blind obedience to its principles). You have to make the wing chun work for YOU, and that probably means that you do it differently than how your sifu does it, or the rest of your class.

As to your jong comment; what I've been taught is that the dummy is for polishing techniques. It doesn't make your kungfu any better, it just makes it look better. I have a hard time believing that's all it's for, but my sifu has said this many times.

Personally, I also was attracted to wing chun because of bruce lee and the things I'd heard about wing chun's chi-sao skills and such. So I know what you're talking about. I also think that it's good to experiment with working out with people outside of your class, to see how your kungfu works against something you aren't used to. Thanks for the post and the advice! Peace.
                            "It does not matter who the master is. It does not matter what the face looks like. The masters are of the Qimen school of qigong/meditation which is related to Zen. The master wears white robes, and the predecessor master wears bright gold robes. The qimen school travels the univers and is not restricted to what paradise they live in. It has many masters" -Serious Harm

Comment

After my left my kung fu school (not wing chun) I traded emails with the sifu and assistant teachers for a bit.

We were on good terms and I asked if they'd like me to come back and spar sometime as I thought it could help brush up everybodies technique, while getting us some experience with people we don't normally train with.

He never replied back.

AND NOW YOU KNOW!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X