Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long before Rome's Colosseum returns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long before Rome's Colosseum returns?

Those of you that were alive when the first UFC was held, tell me, was it televised? Was it on PPV? Was it accepted?

I think the point I'm trying to make is obvious. How long before tournaments where killing and maiming are completely legal become socially acceptable forms of entertainment? How long before our families tune into the TV and we hear, "Welcome to ULTIMATE BATTLE PUGILISM: No ref, No rules, No mats, No pads. The only sport where steroids and methamphetamines are not only legal, but ENCOURAGED!"

I'm going to take a guess at around 2060-2075.

are some high school kid who just learned about Rome in history class or just a raging moron?

btw, I would definitely watch Death Fights on PPV

Comment

I hope it happens a lot sooner than that! If people are stupid enough to do it, then I want to watch!

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**
      Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the fuck I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Comment

Oh there's no doubt in my mind people are stupid enough. Of course, battle probably won't be to the death. Just till one of the combatants can no longer fight,

Comment

Feh. When you can go to the death, it requires less skill. For example, there was this one ancient Greek pankrationist, a real pussy: instead of fighting like a man, he sharpened his fingernails and spear-handed his opponents in the stomach.

What a wuss...

-------------------------
          Clap your hands everybody,
          if you got what it takes
          'Cause I'm Kurtis Blow
          and I want you to know
          that these are the breaks!
          "The morning glory blooms for an hour. It differs not at heart from the giant pine, which lives for a thousand years."

Comment

*cough*

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**
            Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the fuck I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Comment

...Wow. That doesn't sound like a bad idea--er...

Comment

Considering 48 states wanted UFC banned I don't think that's very realistic.

----------------------------------------------------------
                The story of a woman on the morning of a war,
                Remind me if you will exactly what we're fighting for.
                "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
                YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Comment

Well, you have to give it a few decades...

Comment

Osiris:

Dude, I totally saw it in this book on MMA-- ever heard of Brawl? Yeah, I thought so. Anything that has to do with BJJ is real, so there.

I wonder if he beat his opponents that were GJJ (Greek jiu-jitsu) practitioners by spearing them in the stomach when they jumped to guard...

-------------------------
                    Clap your hands everybody,
                    if you got what it takes
                    'Cause I'm Kurtis Blow
                    and I want you to know
                    that these are the breaks!
                    "The morning glory blooms for an hour. It differs not at heart from the giant pine, which lives for a thousand years."

Comment

I realise your joking about 'to the death'.

But considering UFC was virtually destroyed, and the only way it could be saved was by adding a ton of rules for 'fighter safety', then I don't think we'll ever see anything more violent on mainstream TV.

--------
                      What would happen if a one hand clapper attempted to stop a tree falling in the woods when no one else was around?
                      --------
                      The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
                      - Pizdoff

Comment

Realize I am not talking 5 years from now. Or even 10. Or even 20! But eventually our society is going to become less sensitive towards violence. I dunno how long it will take, but I have no doubt that it will eventually happen...

Comment

Oh there's no doubt in my mind people are stupid enough. Of course, battle probably won't be to the death. Just till one of the combatants can no longer fight,

There's already Burmese Boxing, check this out:
                          http://www.geocities.com/vandeelen/Pukulan/burmese/

Comment

That's pretty brutal...

Comment

>Those of you that were alive when the first UFC was held, tell me, was it televised? Was it on PPV? Was it accepted?

I was there at the event. I was at both UFC I and II to be exact. At the time the only real interest was from harcore martial artists...people who trained a certain style and wanted to see how their representative did...friends of the fighters...and people who did "cage fighting" in bars and backrooms and wonder if the mainstream product would compare. For the 2 of you who might care I fall in the last category...plus I was a big fan of Ken Shamrock from my time in Japan and a not-so fan of Pat Smith who's ass I wanted to see beat. It was televised on PPV to moderate ratings. Enough to justify a few more shows at least.

>I think the point I'm trying to make is obvious. How long before tournaments where killing and maiming are completely legal become socially acceptable forms of entertainment?

Watch CNN sometime...the only difference is it's not billed as entertainment.

>How long before our families tune into the TV and we hear, "Welcome to ULTIMATE BATTLE PUGILISM: No ref, No rules, No mats, No pads.

That's actually pretty close to how the first 2 UFC's were billed.

>The only sport where steroids and methamphetamines are not only legal, but ENCOURAGED!"

Sounds kinda like how the UFC is portrayed today IM not so HO. Seriously tho'...MMA competitions, while gaining popularity are still not mainstream. Boxing is close to what MMA wants popularity wise but the geral puplic is not as knowledgabe about boxing as they are about other sports. With professional wrestling being as popluar as it is and has been, that tells me that american society as a whole prefers it's violence simulated and controlled.

jusy my $.05 (with inflation...we're in reccesion ya' know)

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X