X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

combat sports and sparring

interesting quote from:
    http://www.mma.tv/TUF/index.cfm?ac=L...089&FID=1&p=13

Fairtex and the top muay thai gyms also teach cardio kickboxing. Any beginning muay thai class is primarily conditioning (cardio, hitting the heavy bags, hitting the mitts) and no sparring. When you get to the intermediate classes you start seeing sparring. The classes at the beginner level are more populated, so most people in muay thai don't spar. Sparring is for advanced students. Most boxing classes I would think they are the same, no sparring, lots of shadow boxing and hitting the heavy bag to get the techniques right. You can't spar until you know the basic techniques well. The only martial arts that do live training against a resisting opponent from day one (or pretty close) are judo and BJJ.

Interesting how?

IMO anyone who throws a new student in the ring to spar in MT is an idiot. At my MT gym you are allowed to spar after about 6 months of training. My Ajarn is very strict on who gets to spar, if your technique is not up to scratch you have to wait. If you insist on going in the ring to spar he will put you up aganst someone with 3+ years experience (this usually results in the student taking a month or so off to recover).

I've seen gyms where new students are allowed to spar immediately, its hideous. It takes twice as long to develop technique because you are too worried about being hit. After about 6 months people generally have the skill, technique and fitness to step into the ring.

Comment

at our gym its usually a 3 month period, then they get to fight with the instructor. if he thinks they are ready they get to spar with everyone else. sparring from day one in a striking art is not a good idea in my opinion, things like ego can be a problem.

Comment

At my school, we do light boxing only or boxing and lowkicks only in the beginner's MT class. But it doesn't take people too long to get into the intermediate class. I started in the interemediate class becuase I'd had a little MMA expereince already and they wanted to get me ready for any tournaments coming up (I expressed interest in competing right away).
        "Prison is for rapists, thieves and murderers. If you lock someone up for smoking a plant that makes them happy, you're the fucking criminal." - Joe Rogan

El Guapo says dance!

Comment

This sounds pretty much the same as my school. I think it's a good system because you get in shape, learn technique, and weed out those persuing fitness from those who are into the sport and live training aspect.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem
            Interesting how?

IMO anyone who throws a new student in the ring to spar in MT is an idiot. At my MT gym you are allowed to spar after about 6 months of training.
            By that time though, you may have invested a lot of time in someone who is, quite simply, a pussy who quits after his first sparring experience. Throw the new guys in with each other, I say. My first time boxing in a gym my coach threw on the gloves, yanked me in the ring, and hammered me for two rounds to "bust my cherry." Here was a guy who'd been boxing for many many years, pounding the hell out of a 11-year old kid.
            SON OF ODIN

My Punching with Power article

Comment

I got thrown in to spar in my TKD class my 2nd time there (NO!! WE DID NOT DO POINT SPARRING!! WE DID FULL CONTACT MOST OF THE TIME!!!) and I could tell it was a bad idea. Eventually, my bad habits were fixed, but it could have been done much easier. But, to their defense, the class consisted of 4 people (including me) most of the time, so not having them spar just because of me is kinda stupid.

PL

Comment

But some people fight better before they start training as they rely on their natural techniques like haymakers since they can throw them faster and do more damage with them and stuff like pushing the guy to keep distance.

Comment

TKD is definately a softer art than MT when it comes to beginning students and sparring; I was sparring very early in my training and it's a very quick and easy way of learning what does and doesn't work. Particularly in TKD where at the beginning level headshots are extremely rare and everyone wears a hogu, it's pretty easy to get people right into it.

Unbelievably though, there are still people who find this too much for them and they leave. I have absolutely NO idea why. Shit the worst you get in TKD is a bunch of bumps and bruises. That's less than a good game of soccer.
                  Rad ki was made up by adolescents. I do not know who created trad ki but it was not made by adolescents. your an ass dude, Im not being a little bitch you are, your past the level of a bitch. Your beyond Bitch! If im easting my time with ki and psi, then your wasting time to prove frauds, and all shit like that! -theoutsider

Kick boxing is ok, but don't expect do beat a man like Rickson Gracie with that. You need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan. -Emptyflower

The splits, how ever, have a few martial uses. Doing the splits for me, can put my fists in testical strike range.

dont ignore the Art for the Martial or else your just kick boxing

Yes i am serious, there are kicks that can block punches. we have them in Moo duk kwan.
                  I want to learn how to use them in case my arm gets broken in a fight.
                  what would you have me do? if my arm gets broke, not block punches? -sempi-stone

Comment

Originally posted by NeckBreaker
                    But some people fight better before they start training as they rely on their natural techniques like haymakers since they can throw them faster and do more damage with them and stuff like pushing the guy to keep distance.
                    I'm not sure about fighting "better". Fighting more comfortably, possibly, yes, because they haven't had time to accustom themselves to the particular art's technique. But anybody with a few months of hard sparring experience should be able to defend themselves and easily defeat a person throwing wildly telegraphed punches or kicks.

I'm not saying that after a month or two most people would have a concrete idea of how to fight and move and all that; just that after a month of getting hit continuously and knowing how to take a blow, you're a lot tougher, sharper, know how to control your adrenaline better and you're over the shock of getting hit. After a month, if you've been training right, you'll know how to cover up.

I'm not sure if this applies to all schools, but the first thing newbs in my school learn when they're sparring is that they can't just focus on offence because they'll get hit. Thus they learn to defend themselves and cover up (if inadequately) before they learn how to really attack with commitment.
                    Last edited by lifetime; 1/09/2005 9:11am, .
                    Rad ki was made up by adolescents. I do not know who created trad ki but it was not made by adolescents. your an ass dude, Im not being a little bitch you are, your past the level of a bitch. Your beyond Bitch! If im easting my time with ki and psi, then your wasting time to prove frauds, and all shit like that! -theoutsider

Kick boxing is ok, but don't expect do beat a man like Rickson Gracie with that. You need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan. -Emptyflower

The splits, how ever, have a few martial uses. Doing the splits for me, can put my fists in testical strike range.

dont ignore the Art for the Martial or else your just kick boxing

Yes i am serious, there are kicks that can block punches. we have them in Moo duk kwan.
                    I want to learn how to use them in case my arm gets broken in a fight.
                    what would you have me do? if my arm gets broke, not block punches? -sempi-stone

Comment

"But anybody with a few months of hard sparring experience should be able to defend themselves and easily defeat a person throwing wildly telegraphed punches or kicks."

That's nto necessarly true. SOme people especially if they are taller and have longer reach are hard to fight even if they don't have any ma training. They will throw really powerful and fast haymakers, and when you block one the other will be coming on your other side of the face, and when they close the distance they will push you back or to the ground or slam you through a window if they have great strengh advantage. Look at Tank Abbot in ufc 6 he didn't have any training in years and even than it wasn't much he relied on pure streetfighting.

Comment

Tank Abbot wrestled for years and has had more real fights than this entire forum put together. He's had his teeth knocked out, been stitched up and went to prison all before he ever stepped foot in the UFC.

Thats training.

Anyone who spars full contact at the start of their training is nuts. you have no idea how to block yet, how to effectively counter, you cant determine correct distance and you DEFINITELY dont have the timing down yet.

The only thing you're going to do is STRENGTHEN bad habits that may FEEL right to you but are bass ackwards.

6 months always seemed like a very good time to start some LIGHT contact sparring. By that time you should have been training hard, you'll know the people you're sparring with and hopefully trust them a bit, your conditioning will have improved and you would have gone through plenty of real speed drills where you had to defend against hands and feet and takedowns.
                        "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PeedeeShaolin
                          Tank Abbot wrestled for years .

Where?
                          Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                          X