X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wounded Ronin
    replied
    Originally posted by Thaiboxerken
    The focus in entertainment media is on the people, not the fighting or technique. Good boxing punches cover the face, which means it hides the face from the camera, thus taking the focus away from the actor.
    That makes sense.

Leave a comment:

• Kayne
    replied
    Originally posted by DokterVet
    Too bad that fight (KOTD) was shot horribly. All close up shaky cam with quick cuts. You couldn't see what was happening, in typical North American fight scene fasion.
    Directed by a Frenchman, though. I would wager that the coreographer was a franco, too.

Leave a comment:

• Thaiboxerken
    replied
    The focus in entertainment media is on the people, not the fighting or technique. Good boxing punches cover the face, which means it hides the face from the camera, thus taking the focus away from the actor.

Leave a comment:

• Judah Maccabee
    replied
    "Ken Lo" from Drunken Master II is one of the instructors at my school, but he's off shooting a movie, and hasn't been around.

As for the issue of martial arts and boxing, I would argue that two of the major cable channels (HBO and Showtime) prominently feature boxing on their networks, so exposure isn't as diminished as is thought.

Leave a comment:

• afronaut
    replied
    Boxing is such a marginal sport in the U.S. and the only one to be exiled from network TV (a disgrace not even heaped on NASCAR, soccer, golf and maybe even bowling) that I am thrilled when it appears in movies, ads or TV. Any publicity is good publicity, with the exception of publicity that involves the police.

So yeah, crummy boxing may not be the best ambassador, but since most Americans don't know the difference between a welteweight and a heavyweight (or care), arm punch vs. good punch is less of a concern to me.

But I can imagine that to a real fan, it would be irritating.

Leave a comment:

• Colin
    replied
    Well - Drunken Master three tecnhically DOES have a boss - but it's just that pansy-ass Cult-Christian white-boy.

Not exactly the badass Ken Lo from DM 2.

Leave a comment:

• feedback
    replied
    It's no secret that movies made in the US have shitty fight choreography. Shitty shitty shitty.

Leave a comment:

• alex
    replied
    oh yeah, and it is fucking terrible. possibly the worst movie ive ever seen. its some kind of chinese comedy shit. theres no boss. hear me? chinese kung fu movie and theres NO BOSS.

Leave a comment:

• The Coach
    replied
    There's a THIRD drunken master movie?

Leave a comment:

• alex
    replied
    im talking about legend of drunken master. the first and 3rd ones were fucking shit.

and hey, i thought that kotd fight was good. usually I agree about the damn camera angles but it wasnt so bad in that movie (not as bad as say daredevil)

Leave a comment:

• Goldenmane
    replied
    You're confused. The original Drunken Master was in colour, and starred Jackie Chan... then he made Drunken Master 2 (in about 1992), which had nothing to do with DM1, except they were both about Huang Feihong..

DM2 was re-released with a different score for the US market a couple of years ago, under the title Legend of Drunken Master or some such. Same movie, though.

Oh, and the Axe Gang was in DM2/LoDM, not DM1.

Bow down before my superior Drunken Boxing movie knowledge....

Leave a comment:

• Poop Loops
    replied
    Originally posted by Ikken Hisatsu
    the matrix was horrible for that. we watched the first one at a mates house and he said "man the fighting in this rocks". so then we watched drunken master, and his jaw just hit the floor with the last fight scene. he cant watch matrix anymore without cracking up at the stop start fighting. what shite.
    The "new" one or the old, black and white one?

"No one escapes... from the Axe Gang!!" (not sure which movie that's from, I think the new drunken master one.... hilarious :D)

PL

Leave a comment:

• DokterVet
    replied
    Too bad that fight (KOTD) was shot horribly. All close up shaky cam with quick cuts. You couldn't see what was happening, in typical North American fight scene fasion.

Leave a comment:

• alex
    replied
    the matrix was horrible for that. we watched the first one at a mates house and he said "man the fighting in this rocks". so then we watched drunken master, and his jaw just hit the floor with the last fight scene. he cant watch matrix anymore without cracking up at the stop start fighting. what shite.

i liked that boxer in kiss of the dragon though, he was badass. he moved well and still looked good for the camera

Leave a comment:

• BaguaMonk
    replied
    Any fighting choreography done in tthe west is horrible man. I always cringe when they attempt to show any foreign martial art.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X